What are the Top 10 Dragons in EverQuest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fading Illusion, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Fading Illusion Augur

Hello all!

Fading here from the EverQuest Show!

The upcoming episode is ALL about dragons in EQ! (And yes, there will be a separate EQ2 list!). So I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I'm putting together my own list of the Top 10 dragons in EQ. But I wanted to know what you think they are? Doesn't have to be ten, just any opinions on which should make the list.

You can decide however you want to what constitutes the "best."
    Looks? Lore involvement? Impact on Norrath's history?
    Raid difficulty.
    Noteriety.

Whatever you like. I'm just looking for feedback!

Thanks!
    Fading
  2. Can'theal New Member

1. Sleeper - obvious
    2. naggy/vox - OGs
    3. Jaled'dar / Phara Dar
    4. Trakanon
    5. Gorenaire/Sev
    6. Vishimtar
    7. Vulak
    8. Zlandicar
    9. Quarm
    10. Veeshan

Could probably do a whole episode just on the lore of kunark/velious and the field of scale followed by CoV stuff alone. these would be my top 10.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

Veeshan has to be #1 or #2. Same with The Sleeper.
    Andarriel likes this.
  4. Fading Illusion Augur

I think technically I'm not including Veeshan because, while it's a VERY big dragon, its really a god? (Or is it? We never TECHNICALLY see Veeshan?)

Open to being convinced otherwise if someone has a valid argument for/against.

Fading
  5. DeadRagarr Augur

Her dead floating corpse in The Void would look good in a video/Screen Shot.
    Yinla and Fading Illusion like this.
  6. Valcron Elder

Without a doubt the OGs vox and naggy
    Goranothos likes this.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

*Disclaimer that I haven't yet played past level 110 content

1. Kerafyrm/The Sleeper - no dragon in EQ history is as legendary, this is the slam dunk #1 choice. It being unkillable (until it wasn't of course) and its famous rampage around Velious after being awoken on each server is EQ's most well known historical tale

2. Quarm - the combined essence of 4 elemental gods, incredible character model, immediately recognizable to almost any EQ player

3. Trakanon - I think everyone would agree that the gatekeeper of Veeshan's Peak was more memorable than any of the actual dragons within the original Veeshan's Peak. Historically a highly contested target on original servers and also on modern TLP's. There was always that little bit of tension camping juggs in his room if you didn't know when he was due to spawn next

4. Vishimtar the Fallen - the only memorable fight from Dragons of Norrath, some would say this event really marks the first event in EQ with mechanics that you cannot just raw power your way through (at the level the event was designed for anyway)

5. Vulak`Aerr - leader of the Claws of Veeshan. This was EQ's first ring event (I think?) although it was later changed. I never experienced the ring event version. The fight itself in its current iteration is rather underwhelming compared to some of the earlier NToV dragons, but his loot was being camped on every server decades after the original Scars of Velious, specifically for Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment, an item with its own fun story behind its origin

6. Lady Vox and Lord Nagafen - lumping both of these into one group since they are pretty inseparable when talking about EQ's history

7. Vyskudra - not talking about the original one from Sleeper's Tomb here. I'm talking the air wing boss in Crystallos. This is the most difficult event in Crystallos, and the fight has an epic feel to it moving around to stay inside the tornado

8. Sontalak - the guardian of Temple of Veeshan's entrance

9. Zalikor, Devourer of Dragons - a unique raid encounter from Rain of Fear expansion, it's the only one I can remember where you fight the dragon both on the ground and while it's flying around above you

10. Wuoshi - I'm putting Wuoshi on the list strictly for the hilarity factor of designing a dragon to spawn at and camp the portal ring in Wakening Lands. She was usually dead when you ported in, but most players will remember at least a few times that she was not!

11. (because why not) Silverwing & Xygoz - again not going with the original versions here. In fact, these two dragons have three iterations in present day EQ. There's of course the original Veeshan's Peak versions and the Omens of War(ish?) revamp versions. But their most fearsome forms are in Ring of Scale expansion. The most difficult event in Veeshan's Peak v3.0 features both of these

That's 10 (or actually 13 because I cheated). A few honorable mentions:

I'd give the outdoor roaming Kunark dragons Talendor, Severilous, and Gorenaire all an honorable mention simply for historical value.

2nd honorable mention to Ancient Dragon in Kor`Sha Laboratory. It's not a particularly amazing character model, and its name isn't very creative. But the raid event itself is challenging and satisfying to win.
    Maedhros likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Best looking dragons

1. Xanamech Nezmirthafenm
    2. Jaled'Dar
    3. a dracoliche
    4. Kerafyrm
    5. Aerin'Dar
    6. Big Bynn I
    7. Kessdona the Enlightened
    8. Ashenback
    9. Velisham, the Deceitful - The best looking of the black and purple dragons
    10. Wuoshi
  9. Sain_Rathe Lorekeeper

Lady Lendiniara
    The dragon that we help, and who helps us in the Call of the Forsaken expansion.
    Probably overlooked or forgotten by most, but my favorite dragon in EQ.
  10. CdeezNotes Augur

One of these is not like the others (as in not even a dragon).

And how is Yar`lir not on this list? She has a storm swirling on her body. Easily one of the best models in the game.
  11. Cuzon Elder

I mean, how can The Sleeper not be number 1 on the list? His story and impact on the game and lore is second to none. Quarm is also such a unique, memorable dragon.
  12. Fading Illusion Augur

Thank you all for the wonderful, thoughtful responses! Keep them coming!

You're making it very difficult to nail down my list!

Most of you came up with generally the same list that i did.... but WHICH ones actually are the 10 finalists is a tough decision!

Fading
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You need more than 1 list :p
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The dragon with underware on her head?
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

She's also in original TOV.
  16. Sain_Rathe Lorekeeper

I believe it's a veil, and who needs to see what's in front of them when they can see through time?
  17. Tevik Augur

The lack of Yelinak in this list makes me sad.
  18. Fading Illusion Augur

Yelinak makes my list!
    ><
    Tevik likes this.
  19. Cuzon Elder

The long run you have to do to get to Yeli causes him to lose a ton of points in my opinion haha.
    Fading Illusion likes this.
  20. CdeezNotes Augur

1. Kerfyrm
    2. Quarm
    3. Vishimtar
    4. Lethar
    5. Yelinak
    6. Trakanon
    7. Vulak`Aerr
    8. Lord Nagafen & Lady Vox
    9. Yar`Lir
    10. Dozekar the Cursed (mostly for the lore aspect of more than likely being Kerafyrm's daddy)