Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unless you are parsing, you do not want to see 53 other raider's damage over time spells spamming your chat window.

The same is true of heals, etc.

With the new chat filter changes done on January 17, it was a very unpleasant surprise to discover as the raid begins and you are very busy doing your part, that your chat box fills with 5,000 lines of rapidly moving spam.

While you are trying to follow raid instructions during combat, you now have to open your Options > Chat and look at the entries to try to find which ones you have to change to stop this spam.

I had to move DoTs to a hidden window, which meant I was not healing my group or tanks during this time. It was only later that I discovered that you can change DoTs to Mine Only, except it's not under the five "DoTs" entries but under "Damage Over Time".

99% of players do not want to see other players damage, healing, etc. For those that do, they can change it. Do not design something to default for the 1%, design it to default for the 99% and let the 1% change the setting.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Roxas MM, Winnowyl, Barraind and 7 others like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Also hide 0 heals by default also please.
    Roxas MM, Winnowyl, Angahran and 3 others like this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

I think you are underestimating how many bug reports will get opened from new players/new installs for "I can't see anyone elses damage".
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Put in a pop on first load that says all filters are set to self only and if the player wants to see other crap, they need to adjust the filters and give them directions on how to do it.

There...problem solved.
  5. Windance Augur

Should have a super set button for: "show all" and "show mine"

Click the "show all" button and it sets all the chat filters to show.
    Click the "show mine" button and it sets all the chat filters to show mine ( non zero ).
    Winnowyl, Metanis, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Job security.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Is the Customer Service AI bot at risk of losing its job?
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

They are worried about shrink spells.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

I'd say for all new character INIs, see only your own stuff by default. Don't go back editing existing INIs for this type of change.
  10. Annastasya Augur

Not to pile on, but you guys really screwed up the filters on that one. While i saw that there were changes to some of the filters in the patch notes, i did not realize that you were going to move literally all of my normally hidden spam smack dab into my main chat window. /rolls eyes so hard.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Give the main chat window a spam tab THAT DOES NOT FLASH RED. By default, put all the hits, heals, etc in the spam window.

It would be even better if the main chat window had 3 tabs by default THAT DO NOT FLASH RED.

1 for all forms of chat (guild, raid, group, say)
    1 for all non-combat spam (emotes, event messages, etc)
    1 for combat spam (melee, nukes, heals, dots, etc)

Correct me if I am wrong but there is no way to keep windows from flashing red. It would be nice if I could disable windows from flashing. I would use tabs a lot more if I could disable the flashing.
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It is very annoying.

However, try unchecking Options (General tab) > Blink Active Chat Window (right side, bottom checkbox). You may need to drag the bottom of the Options window down to show all options.

Also, each chat window and tab, right click and unpick, "Highlight New Messages".
    Metanis, Vumad, Silvena and 1 other person like this.
  13. Angahran Augur

Instead of just 'Show' and 'Hide', many filters should also have 'Mine', 'Group' and 'Raid' options.

Also, having a 'Log only' option would be great for people that want to pars but not spam themselves into immobility.

p.s. A save and load option for filter settings would be great (maybe even copy from another character?)
    Metanis and Fanra like this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

All I require to see is my damage, my heals, my pet damage, my bard songs and NPC. 1 button to press do do that would be great. :D

I have no interest in others damage or mine or my pets misses or 0 heals.
  15. Szilent Augur

I am boggled by the proposition that EverQuest should hide more information from players. I am especially boggled that the proposal especially targets those who have the least understanding of EverQuest already underneath them (users of default settings)
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

I don't think anyone is asking to intentionally hide information from players. What we want is the OPTION to hide chat information we don't want to see. Forcing players to see garbage is just as bad as hiding certain information from players.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Szilent Augur

That is the literal, explicit request of the OP, and everyone cosigning. Do you mean in some other thread that no one is asking for that? Here, that is exactly and only what's being asked for.

And it's bonkers.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ok, let's revise this then.

Create a big easy to see button/setting to change most chat filters to Mine Only. Players can use this if they wish.

During the Tutorial, add a step which you can see others helping you kill something and the spam you get. Then have one of the tutorial NPCs offer to show you how to use the Mine Only setting.

This should satisfy your, "Oh, no, they are hiding stuff that 99% don't want to see and the 1% can unhide", complaint.
    Winnowyl, Toukan and Angahran like this.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Defaulting a filter to "mine only" (or the equivalent) is in no way hiding info from players...it's a chat filter setting that anyone can ajust to their liking. Anyone who wants to see the spam, can easily change it. All it takes is a note in a patch message when a new filter gets added/changed, or put in a pop up message for a new toon that they need to adjust their chat filter settings. What you see as "hiding" (which it isn't) is what I see as making the game playable.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Szilent Augur

That is a false statement.

as for the rest:

it's a chat filter setting that anyone can a[d]just to their liking. Anyone who doesn't want to see the spam can easily change it. All it takes is no notes in any patch message, nor putting in any pop up messages.