DirectX 11 API Port is live!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jan 17, 2024.

1. CdeezNotes Augur

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a good while.

I'm not having the problem, so it's something wrong with your machine?

Well, I built my machine and it doesn't even know what bloatware is. The thing has nothing but some games, steam, Crowdstrike Falcon (low impact Next Gen AV) all running on the latest version of Windows 10 Enterprise (yes, not pro or home that comes with garbage...Enterprise) with all drivers and patches fully up-to-date. This thing is as clean as a whistle with dual 1TB M.2 drives (one exclusively for the OS + other various things and the other specifically for games).

My machine is absolute overkill for this game and was having issues until I did nothing more than replace the ini file existing on my EQ installs. That's it. The issue was solely with DPG and their files. Nothing to do with "bloatware" or "my gaming PC from alienware."

Does DPG need to keep their game up-to-date? Absolutely, but they need to do it RIGHT. They pushed literal garbage live and it's affecting thousands of players. Don't tell me just because you're not having the issue that it's everyone else's fault. If we each buy the same exact brand new car and one of ours is rattling right off the lot, is it the buyer's issue and not a quality control issue?
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You don't seem to get my point.

If you are selling a product, don't require your customers to jump through hoops to use it. Unless you want to just sell your products to experts, Keep it Simple, Stupid (KISS). You know how Apple made advertisements, "It just works"?

All the heavy lifting should be on Daybreak's side, not the players.

I didn't say that as some sort of measuring contest you think I did. I said it to point out that it is not my PC that is the problem.

I tech support my guildmates all the time. I go on their systems (Microsoft Quick Assist) and I see the tons of background junk and third party antivirus software they are running that is slowing them down. I don't have all that. I know better. Heck, I even go into the Windows Start Menu and turn off Live Tiles because they are extra processing that is not needed.

I know how to get a PC running without background junk. If saying so is promoting a large member to you, then so be it.

I see. So running five other top of the line games fine but having problems with EQ does not mean EQ is the problem?

I do not see your logic here.

I believe there is no point in continuing our discussion on this issue. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
    Marton, Sunawar, mercury890 and 6 others like this.
  3. Montag Augur

The lowest official min specs now is listed as an, albeit older, i7 cpu.

I rest my case.
  4. Mikana Augur

Raided Myconid tonight, everybody was getting stuttering graphics, almost unplayable.

Why has this patch not been rolled back yet?
    Yinla and mercury890 like this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Because it's not getting rolled back.
    Silentsong likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

My entire post was specifically that the Minimum Req are higher than actually necessary. I have one of the two oldest i7 processors there are, a Core i7-965 Extreme edition. It is a first generation Core i7 processor that came out in November of 2008. The official "minimum requirements" have a 4th gen i7 that didn't come out until September 2013. The minimum requirements on the processor and video cards have been that for years before the DX11 upgrade.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Wait. What?

You're saying CPU/GPU minimums have been i7-4770 and GTX 780Ti for years already? Links? o_O
  8. Sweety D Journeyman

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...-minimum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    · Processor: Intel Core i7-4771 / AMD Athlon X4 840
    · Memory: 4 GB RAM
    · Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti / AMD Radeon HD 7970, hardware feature level 11_0 or greater
    · Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    · Hard Drive: 20 GB of free hard drive space
  9. Riou EQResource

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...bit-servers-and-clients-arriving-soon.278523/

The 64 bit requirements from just over 2 years ago are here, the "new" ones are massively increased, but also as mentioned earlier, their current min reqs are prob just the weakest hardware they personally have, so it's kind of impossible to test anything below that if they don't have access to verify

Before 64-bit and after the 7+ requirement (2015 initially, 2017 hard cut off), they were
    CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 / AMD Athlon 64
    RAM: 2 GB
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800
    FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB

Before that the min specs were (probably at least as far back as 2009 with win7 release)
    Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    Processor: 1 GHz Processor
    Ram: 512MB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800
    Hard Drive: 10 GB of Free Disk Space
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That was updated 6 days ago. Show me the link from "years" ago when the minimum requirements were an i7-4771 and a GTX 780 Ti :D
  11. Sweety D Journeyman

I have no dog in this fight. I was simply sharing a link because I thought it would be helpful. I have no idea when the requirements changed. And I don’t really care :)
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I appreciate it.

In any case, I think I may have misunderstood Xianxu's post. He wasn't being literal - I think.
  13. Lydius Insidious New Member

This is too cool, thank you so much for the time and effort!
  14. Akkane New Member

I've been unable to play on my main machine since this port. Trying to go fullscreen freezes the game completely, and if I play in Windowed mode, the only resolution available to me makes the text so tiny it's unreadable. I sent my specs in to Daybreak who said "It looks like you should be able to run it, sorry, hope you find one that can."

Not helpful in the least, thanks. I have two machines that can run it. The old beater of a laptop I used to use to box, which barely kicks along, and the mini I got for Christmas that replaced it, but isn't portable. Either way, it leaves me unable to box at all, so I'm now paying for an account I don't use, through no fault of my own. As I travel quite a bit for work, my main laptop goes with me. It can render and process print-ready, large-scale, high-res files for manufacturing, but it can't run a 25 year old MMO? I've gone to Microsoft and Nvidia, who have both said it's most likely a compatibility issue with the game. But all you have to say is "Sorry, find a computer that can run it"?
    Sunawar and Stymie like this.
  15. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Many have/are asking the same question.... Why hasn't it?
    Yinla and Sunawar like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Back in 2004 when DX9 was upgraded on the servers, they were patched every day to fix issues, why was the same not done with the DX11 upgrade?

DX11 issues have been going on now since January and seem to be getting worse instead of better.
    mercury890 likes this.
  17. Kabouter New Member

Just want to added I still have the same issues as well, just very bad performance overall (3 boxes), but according to task manager not even that many resources are being used.
    Not sure about the exact specs, but it is quite new, has an SSD and 32gb ram, but no dedicated graphics card.
    Even with all player models off, spell effects off, low res textures, etc... it sometimes just comes to a crawl (like sub 15fps) without barely anything happening on screen. If I have spell effects on, it comes to a guaranteed stop when any casting is happening.

Hope there will be some changers/rollbacks/anything to get performance back to where it was, for me at the moment it isn't playable.
    mercury890 likes this.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'd like to see more attention and higher priority on the DX11 bug fixes and performance optimizations.

Please and thank you.
    Hobs, mercury890, Lodestar and 3 others like this.
  19. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

All I can figure is somebody made promises that they couldn't keep and released it anyway ...Once the quarterlies come out... It will be interesting. Sad but interesting,,
    I agree with you....They should save face(and players), REVERT to Pre DX11 and get issues solved before live... Geeezz....Its not that hard to figure out...
  20. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Well Put and totally agree!