Advice on GUI

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kenarden, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Kenarden New Member

I'm a returning player from the classic days, although I have revisited EQ every five years or so for the anniversaries. I suppose that's why I'm back now.

I'm a bit bewildered by the GUI, and particularly how the panes are randomly distributed across my screen.

I can move the panes around, but want to make sure they stay in place.

Could someone please give me some advice about how to set up the panes to best effect and how to get them to stick there so I don't have to rearrange them each time?

Cheers and thanks!
  2. Gialana Augur

One option, after you resized and moved a window to your liking, is to right click on the title bar of the window and click the Lock option. When Lock is active on a window, there should be a '*' (asterisk) to the left of "Lock."
    Kenarden likes this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

I advise all the newbies (and returners) to do the following just to start:
    1. Make 3 chat windows
    2. Chat window 1
      1. Tab 1: Fight/spell spam I care to see.
      2. Tab 2: Fight/spell spam I don't care about
    3. Chat window 2
      1. Tab 1: Event information and NPC text
    4. Chat window 3
      1. Tab 1: Group, Guild, and Raid chat
      2. Tab 2: OOC, Auction, and other general channels
    Where you end up putting those windows is up to you. Many align the windows along the bottom of the screen so that all the action of active gameplay happens above the chat windows. Once they're where you want them, right click on each window and click "lock".
    Kenarden likes this.
  4. Inictus Elder

Also - don't use /exit. Your layout changes are not saved when doing this.
    minimind and Kenarden like this.
  5. Kenarden New Member

Thanks everyone for your awesome advice. The lock function had completely escaped me.
    minimind likes this.
  6. Gialana Augur

Oh, you also might want to check that there isn't an asterisk next to the 'Esc' to Close in the same window as the Lock.
    minimind likes this.