Mob kill rules in case anyone doesn't know

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by magshamenc, Jan 21, 2024.

1. magshamenc New Member

Adventurer,

I wanted to get back to you involving your incident related to a "kill-steal" today. Unfortunately, this is not a violation of the Rules of Conduct. Please feel free to contest any NPC in any zone of EverQuest as we already have a built-in system for determining loot rights. The player who does the most DPS to the enemy during the course of its engagement will receive the loot rights to the corpse. The community-term, 'Camps', is not recognized by Daybreak games as it upholds an unrealistic standard on the definition of fair-play gaming experience.

Please feel free to intervene all NPC's you desire to kill and loot, even if other players waiting for an enemy to spawn. The loot rights to the corpse will be awarded to the player who delivered the most damage per second to the enemy.

"There will be no first in force or engage rules arbitrated or enforced by a Game Master or Guide on any server. We believe players can resolve disputes about camps and raid bosses between each other. Game Masters and Guides will not help negotiate these disputes between players and guilds."

EverQuest Rules of Conduct
    What are the EverQuest Rules of Conduct?

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know. From a gm so if u see any group with a name and can out damage them go for it
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Old news.
    Couple things about that though. You can out dps strictly as a dps race but you arent allowed to:
    1. train a camp
    2. memblur/charm to clear the dps count

But aside from the official stance, you really dont want to be a killstealer.
  3. Oberan Elder

Actually it's "intentionally causing xp loss to another player" that is against was against the rules (and it was this way even on Rallos Zek back in the day.

Training was just a specific method that was used to "pvp" on the blue servers to intentionally causing xp loss.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Muramx Augur

PNP (Play Nice Policy) hasn't been enforced since SoE sold the game. Although I would argue that it goes against their rules about disrupting the gameplay of others. I remember when SoE would boot people for it and there was server justice, where people would get blacklisted. but now.... I would be happy if they would get the botting and the people with 12 accounts that warp on top of named kill it then warp somewhere else in the zone.
    Cidran likes this.
  5. magshamenc New Member

Well it happened to I don't really give 2 sheets as this is game not my life I had the mob down to 65%. It got stuck in a place where I couldn't cast until my mercs died. Group of high dps killed it and got credit kill. For 20 years I was under the impression Group who pulled it had rights to it o well
    Jyve and Andarriel like this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Strange, for nearly 20 years it hasn't been like that at all
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea thats the way is should be.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

So your saying if im killing mobs and they just out dps me thats ok? im actually sick of eq players who play with themselves (six chars) and just run around say type of group always consist of sk shm bard as prime + 3 fill in slots and they run around like they can do anything without a care in the world. I had a group do that in scorched woods and i was out dps them because at the time mobs were hs. But its just stupid what people think they can do when there is no rules to inforce. Kinda like the sellers in the baz that use scripts while i gotta reprice everything one at a time.
    Muramx and magshamenc like this.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

That's the rule now. DPS race. Has been for like 5? years.
    OldTimeEQ1 and code-zero like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id say the rule is "DBG wont do anything about it anymore." That doesnt make it right.
    minimind and Muramx like this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Their rule is quite literally that its a dps race. You can thank TLPs for that one. They changed it so they could ignore people complaining about KSing.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

This is what it "literally" says:
    Note that it does not say its ok to KS. It just says DPG wont get involved.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Yes, which means they leave it to the game mechanics that assigns credit, which is most dps. The only thing they have done at ALL to address this is to make last hit no longer do full damage.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Live servers voluntarily follow the Play Nice rules the vast majority of the time. And those are the same rules I go by and enforce as much as I am able to as a player.
  15. Angahran Augur

So, basically, from what I read there, even if someone is fighting a mob, if you can out DPS them, then everything is roses that's fine and they get the loot?
    magshamenc likes this.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

As far as any official enforcement, yes.
    I think the thing about is that when they used to try to enforce and decide whose mob it was they spent way too much time on it. Too many edge cases, primarily because players are very good at coming up with edge cases. They finally decided that it wasnt worth it anymore.
    FYAD and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

If you had not heard of DPS race then you probably have not heard of FTE (First to Engage). They only implemented it on one TLP server, but all the servers share the same code. ;)
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Sadly, yes, an any attempt to change that or mitigate that, such as the FTE (first to engage) ruleset on Oakwynd gets protested by those who thrive on the DPS race.
    Kaenneth and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  19. Tyranthraxus Grognard

That is their official policy yes. The policy doesn't exist because ks'ing is the goal. The goal is to not have to do customer support. If there's a play nice policy, they have to support that policy.
  20. Xyphen Maximum Augur

An majority of EQ players are nice and still respect traditional camp rules. The only issues I've had are with AFK botters who have a pull radius that overlaps with my camp. Or when I need to snipe a named from said AFK groups.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.