how to turn off autofind on maps?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tachyon, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Tachyon Augur

bring up an ingame map click any spot and it creates a find path, can this be turned off?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There should be a button in the upper right of the map window which, once you have a path or "X" marker active, says "End". Click that button, and that will do what you're asking for.

Another thing which MAY work is to type ctrl-F (Find) and then escape. That may also override/cancel the glowy path.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

No, built-in feature. It only does it for me on right click, left click moves the map. Are you using a custom UI?
  4. Tachyon Augur

i've figured out how to end it just want to disable
  5. Tachyon Augur

standard ui, just want it to stop
  6. Gialana Augur

There isn't a way to turn off the feature. The way to avoid it is to avoid right-clicking anywhere on your map. As far as I know, the only function of right-clicking on the map is to initiate find to the current cursor position.
    If DBG wants to disable the feature or insert a toggle, that would be a bonus. But you're also the first person I've heard make a complaint about the behavior. There are likely other people who wish right-clicking the map would go away, but it doesn't seem like a wide-spread issue.
    code-zero and Fanra like this.
  7. Zalamyr Augur

There was actually a thread about this exact same thing not that long ago. I think it's mostly annoying for those of us who mouse turn and suffer from the mouse cursor bug (right click to turn character, let go of right click, cursor *should* still be in the same spot it was when you started the right click, but instead has moved wildly across the screen). It makes it so when you're navigating with the map open, you'll end up doing this by total mistake fairly often. This bug has existed for many of us for years and years across multiple computers and multiple mice. No clue what triggers it, as not everyone gets it.
  8. Gialana Augur

Ahh. That makes sense. I usually avoid mouse turning because I've never gotten good at using it. There was a time I would try to do a long mouse right-click but it would act like a short mouse click. It turned out my mouse was going bad. It's probably unrelated, but if you have another mouse available, have you checked if it still causes this issue?
  9. Zalamyr Augur

Yep, it's existed for me across 3 computers and 3 different mice over like 10 years. Might also only affect windowed mode, not sure. But basically when you hold down right click to turn the cursor is hidden, and when you release right click the cursor should reappear where it was when you release it. With the bug, the cursor will occasionally move while hidden and when released will appear where it would have gone had you just been moving the cursor normally. So, for example, cursor is in the middle of the screen, hold down right click to mouse turn, cursor is hidden, turn you character to the right, release right click, cursor should reappear in the middle of the screen, but instead reappears off to the right. It doesn't happen a ton, but enough to be annoying.

I've also never had this problem one single time in WoW, so it's definitely EQ specific. I also know a lot of other people who have the same issue. It seems like it's definitely specific to certain settings or setups though. Pretty much anytime I've ever brought it up most people don't know what I mean but there's always a few people that are like "OMG I KNOW I HATE IT SO MUCH".
  10. Tachyon Augur

Thank you! I just find it an annoyance but will survive, mostly wanted to be sure i wasn't missing something
  11. fransisco Augur

I dont mind the x on the map, its the forced zoom levels that make the map unusuable which I dont like
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Have you not diabled auto-zoom in the map?
  13. fransisco Augur

that can be done? thats awesome.