EQ is dark now

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goranothos, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Goranothos Augur

And I don't mean dark as in not happy, I mean it's dark as in hard to see. Why was the gamma slider removed? I typically kept the gamma slider at around 25%. The new visual enhancement slider doesn't seem to do anything. It is working as intended? How can I tell if it is working?

Just so I'm not a complete Negative Nellie, THANK YOU for the Pet Inventory commands. I've been asking for that since 2001. While not as good as an interactive Pet Inventory window, it's certainly a welcome feature.
    DebonAir and Estalia like this.
  2. Febb Augur

What is the make and model of your video card?
  3. Goranothos Augur

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060.
  4. Febb Augur

Try searching in your windows task bar search for display calibration, raise your gamma up a little bit to where it's not going to bother you outside of EQ. I did this and now the UI isn't as dark in game now.
    Maedhros likes this.
  5. Goranothos Augur

Thank you for your help, but I am not going to increase my Windows gamma just for EQ.
    Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  6. Windance Augur

Using the OS/drive level gamma settings IS what EQ used to do. It IS the exact same thing. The difference is now you can set it and forget it because EQ isn't changing it around.

Try setting your monitor / OS level to default and see what the game looks like.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Schadenfreude Augur

For myself, the OP and dozens upon dozens of others the answer here is "too dark". As things stand the only workaround for many is to change the Color accuracy mode in Desktop Color Settings to bonkers EQ shine-a-torch mode and then return it to the proper reference level once you're done playing.
    Goranothos likes this.
  8. Goranothos Augur

Yep, but what I used to do before is just reboot my system after I finished playing EQ, because the EQ gamma slider made the rest of windows look too washed out for my taste. But without the gamma slider set to ~25% EQ looks too dark on my system.
  9. Goranothos Augur

I went through Windows' monitor calibration app and adjusted my gamma. Basically it shows you three gray blobs with dots in the middle and you move a slider to try to make the dots blend in and disappear. Move the slider too much in one direction and the dots turn white, too much in the other direction and they turn black. After adjusting mine, I fired up EQ and it isn't quite as dark, so a definite improvement.

The statue in my guild hall is now black however. Pretty sure it was white before the patch.