DX11 - Why were our expectations so high?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Windance Augur

There are far more people having problems than the number of people here posting.

On our raid Thursday night there were well over a dozen who said the game become "unplayable" with in the first 30s of the fight.

Of those I've seen maybe 3-4 post.
    Xyphen likes this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

And likely many many many more that are not only not having problems but have seen small improvements. That's what I was saying. There is at least one very prolific poster on these threads who keeps insisting it is thousands of players or even every player who is having problems.

Yes, there are some players who are having issues and I do hope there are solutions for most of them. For some they might have to upgrade of update something on their computer which might be difficult but that, too, is the reality of computers, too. I do software testing on routers for a living. There are some features that just cannot support every computer built from two decades ago. As much as development would like to support older hardware, there is a point where they have to put a line in the sand. For example, most current WiFi APs no longer support fully support the oldest B clients or WEP at all.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yes and I believe the DX11 rollout could have been much smoother. I had the expectation that at least the graphics bugs reported not once, not twice, but multiple times by testers would be addressed before DX11 was released. I had the expectation that they would acknowledge the time spent by testers by engaging in a dialogue about such a critical upgrade. DX11 was not ready for release.

Testing configurations for an API port is impossible. You are correct. What's not impossible is holding back the release of said port until basic functionality is established.

But, the toothpaste is out of the tube. DX11 is here. No amount of whining on my part will change that.

All I can do is wait for more bug fixes and optimization passes to happen. That is still going to happen right? RIGHT??? o_O
    Windance likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This has nothing to do with hardware or the need to upgrade. Intrinsically everyone understands this. And many of my friends who run absolutely ancient systems were actually excited about using EQ's incompatibility as justification to get themselves a shiny, new system (not everyone, mind you :D ).

This does have to do with the manner in which the DX11 API port was coded, tested, and pushed with seemingly little regard to the impact it would have on the game's playability. To borrow Lodestar's words, "There is zero upside for it to be force-released now instead of later this year."

This is the point.
    Windance likes this.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

From my perspective and the perspective of other players who haven't experienced any issues and even had some improvements, basic functionality has been established and it is working well.

Yes, some hardware has issues and some players will need to do driver updates that they have ignored for years or even tweak their Windows settings. Some might even need to upgrade their hardware that is well over a decade old by this time. This has been announced for several weeks. It didn't just happen overnight.

There were a lot of changes made due to the feedback on Test and the port was even held back by a month to add more.

Hyperbole claiming they were just sitting on their hands or sprang this on the players without any warnings or even that the issues affect thousands is not productive in any way shape or form.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's not hyperbole if it's true.
  7. Windance Augur

Has something worked better for anyone? If so what?

I personally haven't heard anyone say things where better than before the patch.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

This, I'm having less graphic issues than anyone I have talked to , and I am having lag, which has never been an issue, and odd graphic issues. Not gamebreaking for me, but definitely not an improvement.
    Ileasa likes this.
  9. Captain Video Augur

I'm sure most of you remember the classic song, "EQ Wizard." I am reminded of this one line:

"I thought I was the Krono farming king,
    But I've just handed my EQ crown to him!"
  10. Captain Video Augur

We had a new guy join our guild this week. He said his name was Stevie Wonder, and this was just the sort of game he had been looking for.
  11. Captain Video Augur

Psychologists have been researching a trending phenomenon where women who have a gaming hobby tend to develop an increasing fear of the dark. A group of women professionals in the game publishing industry have banded together to form a nationwide fraternal support group for affected players, which they're naming Gamma Gamma Gamma.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Nennius like this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

What if this is just the first sign of an impending takeover by our future AI overlords. Has anyone actually seen an EQ dev. recently? Time to look out for the mother ship. Run! Hide!

Hmm pizza first. Could I have some digital garlic bread?
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  13. Captain Video Augur

Two EQ players walk into a bar.

First player: Ouch! That hurt.
    Second player: This isn't the zone line.
    First player: Bleepin' gamma.
  14. CdeezNotes Augur

And there is it. The white knighting.

No, they aren't supposed to test every single hardware config, but this is primarily a GPU thing and it's affecting some of the most main stream cards on the planet. That's a major issue and not one that should be taken lightly. This implementation was garbage. Let facts be facts. Stop tying to paint a turd with gold paint.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

Ileasa and Nennius like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

https://www.madisonomegas.com/
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Windows 10 still has almost 2 years to go (unless extended further).
    Ileasa likes this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Things will get fixed. Stuff happens and with a bit of patience on our part I am sure DB will get things working fine. Lets chill.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I did look it up and the information I got was that it was EoL last year. I might have misread but it is only just minimal maintenance now. No need to accuse me of lying or whatever, it was a misread. The point is that even Win10 is on it's last legs and Win7 has been out of support for a while. I use Win10 on my personal computers and 11 on the work ones. I have at least one computer in this house that's still on 7, but it's not connected to the Internet because the security support for the OS has been ended for a while.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I'm zoning faster, changing characters faster and haven't had any issues with the changes. I've even seen some minor improvements in the graphics.

I don't have a high end computer, but I do have decent hardware and keep current on updates to the OS and drivers. I have 2 monitors that aren't matched (one is old and smaller and only used to watch videos while I do other stuff including, sometimes, while I game). I commonly run multiple browser windows, 2 different browsers because of work, as well as sometimes another game running in the background, too, along with Discord.

As for why you haven't heard.... people are more likely to make a comment when they want to complain than to praise.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and fransisco like this.