UI Woes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Boyboi, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Boyboi Elder

How in the world do I get it to my UI and all its windows doesn't reset every time I login to the game? I move things around, and they just get moved right back the next time I log in.

Also, I put lots of people on Xtar, and once in awhile all of my Xtargets will just vanish and I have to put them all back on again. Why is that?

Edit: A lot of Combat spam is being sent to the main window every time I log in a new toon since the patch. Is there a way to automatically have it go to a different window so I don't have to change setting on each toon?
  2. Slayed New Member

Assuming all you characters use the same ui layout and chat windows you can assign the new filters on one character then use options > display > copy layout and select output option
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How do you exit the game? If you do it some other way then camping it is possible things are not getting properly saved.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  4. Boyboi Elder

Well I try to camp, but sometimes I'll have a crash or the PC reboots. If I just camp once though, shouldn't it get saved forever?
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm pretty sure it saves information like that if the game completely closes without crashing. Camping to server/character select wouldn't do it, but I could be wrong about that.

It sounds like you have some issues with reliability if your PC is rebooting for no reason.
  6. Gialana Augur

I would think so, as long as you don't then make adjustments the next time you log in. Another thing to check is your install directory. Has anything in the path become read only for some reason? Is EQ in your Programs path? If so, that can cause problems with saving.

With the extended target, the times I've had it reset is when I camp to character select and log in a different character that doesn't have the same extended targets saved. Sometimes, but not always, when I go back to the first character, the extended target is reset.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Also make sure the directory is not Read Only.
  8. Angahran Augur

Do you have EQ installed under any Windows controlled folder?
    e.g. /users/bob/everquest or /programs/everquest/
  9. Boyboi Elder

Yes, it's under Users. Is that ok?
  10. Crashdummy Elder

New computer get Windows Explorer on screen, open it go to Local Disk C: -- make a Directory Darkpaw, install the game into the subfolder Everquest. Once that is done open game to verify that it is actually working, then shut down, and copy character files, from USB, to the correct folders , including my old maps to a the Maps folder, and to a personal sub folder, so all my added marks do not get over written. Restart game, and see if a main is looking right and my maps are right. I do wonder if I install on my next computer, I use a second SSD drive to install Everquest, and in a the future, just move the SSD to a new comp, and reinstall, all the stuff will still be there- and when I may manage to set aside the funds, assuming that EQ will outlive me.
  11. Angahran Augur

No.

Windows and EQ do not play nice together when it comes to permissions.

It is much better to have EQ somewhere away from Windows, e.g. C:\Games\EverQuest\ (or whatever drive you want).

Simple test is to just copy your existing Everquest folder to a new location. EQ does not need to be 'installed', you just run the launchpad and everything will run from it's new home.

See if this fixes your issues (before deleting EQ from \users\).
    Boyboi likes this.
  12. Boyboi Elder

Thanks! I'll give it a go.
  13. Febb Augur

I have my EQ directories right at the root C:\

C:\EverquestClient1
    C:\EverquestClient2

etc..
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I still have mine under windows (programs x86) just because that's where it's always been.

However, I have no issues at all saving settings, ui, etc, because I always start it in admin mode. That takes care of the directory being read only.
  15. Hegsheoshed Augur

I seem to have problems having the windows taskbar come up right now to check. If I minimize the browser I see EQ. I mostly have a problem getting back to desktop lately. To make EQ minimize I lose all the positioning on my bags. Pretty sure without checking my install is on the default Users path and the folder is read/write. You will have to select the administrator option to edit the folder's permissions.