Bring Gamma back please

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by The real Sandaormo, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

It doesn't. The other person who replied to you is mistaking a highly nuanced situation, that affected <1% of people, with a common problem. I'd never even heard about it. I've used multiple monitors for over 10 years on multiple operating systems, while playing EQ, with no issue.
  2. Windance Augur

The person I was responding to had problems with flicker, low frame rates, and auto follow breaking.

These are all signs of the FPS sliders being set too low, so the answer * IS * to slide them to max and see if they fix the problem.

Most games will not run faster then your monitors refresh rate, unless you have specifically gone into the GPU drivers and disabled sync.
  3. Juzam_Djinn Elder

I'd like something to brighten my UI some, I'm just not used to it being so dark, but I don't want it tied to the world brightness like old gamma was. The Enhance Vision slider needs to go a couple hundred percent higher than it currently does, some zone's are just way too dark like Pal'Lomen. That said, I'm glad my eyes aren't being seared out of my skull anymore by using the old way to boost the gamma but it just being boosted to the maximum.
    Feona The Red Monk likes this.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

Same for me
  5. Kegwell Lurker since '99

lets pray some player can somehow fix it since the devs say too bad.

The only way might be a loss in revenue.

Giving it a few days, then gonna cancel 3 accounts.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  6. Estalia Journeyman

You say removing gamma isn't a bug, but the game looks bad. The only fix that has been suggested is to up the entire computer's gamma which isn't a fix if someone wants to use their computer for anything else. If something makes your customer's experience worse, it is a bug
    thebes99, Iven, Warrior187 and 5 others like this.
  7. Scila Augur

Here's the sad part. The graphics are awesome. The improvements with DX sharpen everything. The slider does nothing. Fix the slider to work correctly so the work the graphics dept did can shine and ppl don't have to adjust their comps every time they flip between the game and rl.
    Sprooce, Nennius, Silvena and 2 others like this.
  8. jeskola pheerie

Y'all using launcher or 3rd party app to get in?
  9. CdeezNotes Augur

I mean that was literally my fix prior to this patch. I had to tune it back down now that things are functioning more properly. Prior this this patch i had to crank up the digital vibrance in the nvidia settings to see anything in specific zones. Now I turned it back down.

The stuttering is beyond annoying though.
  10. CdeezNotes Augur

This made the monitor nearly unusable for anything outside EQ. Digital Vibrance (below this screenshot) was much more effective.
    Silvena likes this.
  11. Estalia Journeyman

Turning HDR on did help. EQ is still darker than it was before but I can at least make out the darker details. Downside is it still is making everything outside of eq brighter as well, but not as much as just bumping up the gamma. Still needs to be addressed for those of us that don't like it.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

New patch issue for me, and as others have mentioned about gamma.

Before reading this, keep in mind.. your gamma is too low and you won't see the photo comparisions low gamma vs high gamma. (I'm pondering on removing them but I'm not going to).

The background texture on my windows and the inventory window and items windows are too dark to not see the proper texture. Now with low gamma, it is basically black background with eye strain.

Here is what I did to temp fix my gamma for EQ play.
    I have a 2022 laptop, AMD cpu, Nvidia GPU. DX12.
    The Nvidia "Display" option is not in the Nvidia control panel as others have suggested, so that suggested fix is not there to enhance gamma.

In Windows 11 Search: "Graphics Settings" eqgame.exe is set to high performance ( so when EQ plays, it is Nvidia GPU)
    [IMG]

BUT, am I missing something here in Nvidia settings? (see settings picture below)
    [IMG]
    Because I am still getting low UI Gamma. As you see in the above pict, nvidia control panel does not show display as this is a laptop with AMD CPU. So, Gamma ON in this setting as you see. Why doesn't it work in game?

This new "Enhanced Vision" option does nothing for the UI:
    Enhanced Vision ON (default display gamma)
    [IMG]

Enhanced Vision OFF (default display gamma)
    [IMG]

Now before the patched, My windows had a graphical texture pattern and were lighter... now after patch they are black and cause eye strain.

The only 'fix' I found was to adjust my gamma in my windows...

I looked up AMD gamma (Google) becuase as I said above, what am I missing in Nvidia settings? My CPU is AMD and iGPU for display would be AMD : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-021
    Interestingly I found in Windows you search for " Calibrate Display Color " .
    This was discussed in the AMD link about Gamma.
    Seen here
    [IMG]

So I am aiming for Gamma too high. (to raise it)
    After adjusting my Gamma in "Calibrate Display Color'' in windows..
    [IMG]
    Now comparing, I see this (I don't know if you will see the difference because your gamma maybe too low lol.)
    [IMG]

But now I get texture in my windows again and less eye strain.

Now, for US to change our Windows settings ( which one mentioned above ) to play the GAME is something I believe we need an option in game to do, as we did before this patch.
    I don't know if the gamma ON setting for eqgame.exe is broken and Nvidia needs an update on there latest driver 1/17/2024 which I am using, or it is the game.

It worked before the patch, please put it back in.
    The UI is an eye strain without my changing my windows gamma.

This above is noting to do with the extra heat created when boxing now after the patch.
  13. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

This is the settings I use and I don't have an issue.
    [IMG]
  14. Estalia Journeyman

Veteran_BetaTester, my windows gamma is correct, and has been correct for a long time. But with the change they made, my eq is too dark for what I want. If i set the windows gamma while looking at my eq screen, the gamma pics would match the "Gamma too high".
    Silvena likes this.
  15. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

k.
    Yeah, this is what I had to do.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

All that madness started after Holly Longdale and Jonathan Caraker left. While the game was not very innovative under Longdale, tech wise, we now have to experience the opposite. Sometimes to the better, and sometimes to the worse. Someone brought chaos uppon us. Was it a burynai (badger) ? idk.

[IMG]
  17. Kounterchrome New Member

People that aren't having gamma issues probably never even touched the slider to begin with...at this point they are nothing but trolls and not helping with a real issue.

I True box up to four, and all four have different gpus, cpus, and monitors with the same issue. The only Band-Aid fix I found required manually adjusting gamma in control panel.

I'm not doing that for every monitor and I'm not changing the way I play over glaring incompetence, and a few trolls that don't have issues going around liking each other's post like weirdos.
    Silvena, thebes99 and Schadenfreude like this.
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I tried that yesterday, my monitor brightness setting shot to 100, (similar to how some TV's will when you enable dolby vision) and everything was incredibly too bright. So I dimmed it down. I'm no expert in this, but it doesn't make sense to me to have HDR enabled for SDR content. Especially for computer monitors, (even more so for gaming monitors) as most of the HDR computer monitors really only get that HDR checkbox for marketing purposes, and they do extremely poor jobs with it.

I still ended up with whites that are too bright and washed out, and lost so much detail for blacks. It's a downgrade all around.

Don't even get me started on how bad polar bear mounts, white skystriders, and regal squirrels look with that setting.
    Silvena likes this.
  19. Shea Lorekeeper

THANK you for this! I'm in an extremely similar position 2023 gaming laptop with AMD cpu, AMD integrated video and secondary Nvidia gaming gpu. Same as you, I'm missing options in the Nvidia control panel to adjust gamma (I only have the 3D settings option). I was going down the same road as you but hadn't found the OS color adjustment yet.

This at least gives me a bandaid fix (it is not a GOOD fix, shouldn't have to do any of this) for darkness issues on this system. Now if I could get the alt-tab issue and overlays are no longer working (pre-patch overlays would work if EQ was fullscreen on external monitor set to primary display), this machine at least would be ok for now.

other machines that worked beautifully pre-patch now suffer from the gamma issue as well as missing textures/black objects on one and 2 have horrible video tearing/clipping issues in fullscreen that are almost nausea inducing.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  20. kizant Augur

Overlays working like that was likely a bug. They should never work in full screen.