Not A Bug Gamma option

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Lete, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Monkeychunks Augur

I foresee a possible fix or reverting back in about 3 months.

Even if we quit today, which I did, it will take that long for the billing cycle to reflect the loss of revenue. Or longer if your on a 3/6/12 month rotation.

And they will never count the lifetime players who don't pay and quit playing due to this.

Sorry but its just too dark and stutters too much, even with recommended system requirements which they also just updated, it isn't working.

Perhaps a word or 2 from a dev would have helped. Even, yeah, we see it and are checking it out. I feel like the baby getting thrown in the pool to learn how to swim. And its a cesspool.
    Joules_Bianchi and Warrior187 like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Phrancy and Silvena like this.
  3. kizant Augur

Yeah I haven't seen what I'd consider and issue but I never turned gamma up very high to begin with. It would always remove contrast and wash everything out. I know some people played with it like that even if it looked bad. Here's another screenshot like Yinla's and I think both look fine tbh.

[IMG]
  4. Silvena *poke*

5. Prodigal Player New Member

It is not just gamma, colour saturation is way off across the board, even with shifting the new enhance slider. Its almost as if it has dropped to 8bit graphic depth.
  6. Jack Elder

The DirectX 11 was actually removed from beta because of all of the same issues being reported there as here. :rolleyes:
    Silvena and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think a lot is down to personal choice, which unfortunatly removing the slider has taken away.

Everyones sight is slightly different. To me that looks too dark, but I can see it being acceptable for others. I've always found some zones in EQ to be too bright and others to be too dark.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I know, right?

We ALL know this and if we rail about it, they selectively remove posts and replies to hide the inefficacies and marginalize the topics.
  9. Phermenter New Member

After the last patch the graphics are either so dark I can't easily see in game content, or so bright white it's actually difficult to look at. I've adjusted in game graphics, my monitor brightness and contrast, my video card, and it hasn't helped. My other games are fine, so it's not on my end. It would be nice and playable when put into full screen. Now, it's like the windowed dark, but even worse, all the time. I have screen capture images show the over bright npc's, and the guild lobby so bright it's difficult to see the window selector icons, if that'll help.
    Please fix this. It's too difficult to play, and I would hate to stop because of this issue.
  10. Samiyam New Member

Same here, plus my inventory window, spell casting window and cursor are HUGE. Tried both windowed & full screen, default and other ui's .... nothing helps.:mad:
  11. Ratalthor Developer

We have removed the gamma adjustments from the game settings as it is not reliably supported in DX11. We added in Enhanced Vision to offset some of the brightness settings you may be used to. We recommend using your graphics card's driver's settings to make adjustments as needed.

We are writing up some general guidelines and recommendations on how to adjust those settings in a future article.
  12. Estalia Journeyman

So my options are not see the game, or blow my eyes if I use any other program on my computer? How about an option to use directx 9 so I can use my computer for everything?
  13. Angahran Augur

{quote}We have removed the gamma adjustments from the game settings as it is not supported in DX11. We added in Enhanced Vision to offset some of the brightness settings you may be used to. We recommend using your graphics card's driver's settings to make adjustments as needed.

We are writing up some general guidelines and recommendations on how to adjust those settings in a future article.{quote}

So the fact people have to increase the gamma on their entire PC to eye watering levels simply to be able to see in the game is 'not a bug'?

Wasn't the 'upgrade' to DX11 meant to make things better, not worse?

So if anyone plays any other games in addition to EQ they will need to remember to adjust the gamma through the roof before starting EQ and then restore it to normal levels to play any other game, or even just see their screen without being blinded.
  14. Silvena *poke*

[IMG]

You can't be serious. Telling your player base and customer base that they should just suck it up and alter their out of game/system settings, many set up for specific reasons that have nothing to do with your product vs an in game setting (like every other game has in their options) is beyond tone deaf.

Even after report from Beta and Test that this wasn't ready to go and would cause issues. Good Job. "Not A Bug" indeed.
  15. Goober New Member

Not happy about that response. Bout to unsub 6 accounts right freaking now. Why are you messing with BASIC features like gamma? Your "Enhance Vision" option barely does anything. Extremely unhappy player considering moving to another title over all the broken stuff you guys shipped this expansion with.
    Warrior187 and Kegwell like this.
  16. dentalplan lisa needs braces

How is it "not a bug" if I cannot clearly see the game without messing with 3rd party settings completely unrelated to this software?
  17. Shea Lorekeeper

Technically, it really isn't a bug.... just a VERY @#$T^#@$T%#@$ bad decision on the part of DB to implement it as is.

The 'enhanced vision' is not a solution as is. Maybe if they increased its effectiveness a good 10-20x.

It also doesn't address all the other issues with video tearing, missing textures, and alt-tab issues that were introduced with dx11.
  18. Shea Lorekeeper

In the 25 years I've played this game I have NEVER considered cancelling my accounts over changes to the game. This is the first time.

If it were only the gamma issue I could see just sucking it up and trying to get used to the degradation in quality but with the other issues introduced (alt-tab problems, missing textures/solid black objects, and horrible video.. tearing? jitter? not sure what to call it) it basically just makes the game unplayable.
    Warrior187 likes this.
  19. Salben Journeyman

I have 38 gold accounts I pay for monthly, and I’m dangerously close to cancelling every single one. I’m so sick of them pushing patches to live that are completely broken, and we’re broken on test the entire time that they never attempted to fix, all to meet an arbitrary timeline their boss out in place that literally has no overall affect on the game.
    Warrior187 likes this.
  20. Silvena *poke*

Enhanced Vision is semi-useful for environmental lighting etc, but does nothing for the ui elements also being darker now. That's kind of a problem.
    Warrior187 and Estalia like this.