Duplicate Cant switch screens or go to desktop

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MadMonk McJunkPunch, Jan 17, 2024.

1. MadMonk McJunkPunch New Member

cant minimize out of full screen like i used to - checked all files several times - rebooted - renamed eqclient.ini...no effect.
    Screen is way too dark to play - please fix ASAP
    Zendaar, Shea, Shelby22 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

3. JulieMay64 New Member

Every zone is too dark and if you turn the enhanced vision up then it washes out. Tried advanced lighting and that doesn't work either. Put this back the way it was prior to the 1/17/24 patch. It was visually perfect and now you've ruined it.

Also, the full screen window acts like a "windowed full screen" - meaning it 'appears' to be full screen, but it continues to act as if it's windowed. I think you broke it.
  4. MadMonk McJunkPunch New Member

^^ what she said - exactly
  5. Nozraku Lorekeeper

My EQ no longer seems to launch, although it does. Once I start EQ, nothing appears on my screen unless I wait about 2 minutes and then hit Alt-Enter.

At that point, the Server Select screen appears.

When I hit Enter there, the screen again goes back to whatever is in the background and shows no EQ running except on the task bar.

Then, if I click that a couple of times while hitting Alt-Enter, the Character Select screen appears.

Once in game, alt tab does nothing but cycle between the Windowed and Full Screen versions without allowing anything on top of the windowed version.

After a short while doing this, the application becomes non-responsive.
    Sunawar and ChiiChii like this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

do you have any form of skin 3rd party program like a parser, or Overwolf / Discord kind of thing that runs with / over EQ? If so, remove it.

If you are running a non standard UI, click the use default UI button at character select. These my be trying to update and hanging.

You also might run a dxdiag check - Start button, right click for menu, click on Run and run dxdiag.exe and get report on Directx Make sure you have directx 11 onboard.

There is now a graphics card check on login as well. Some cards are not supported and or are not on the list of what is greenlighted due to being overlooked. What graphics card are you trying this on may be important. Updating graphics drivers is a good idea anyway. Sharing the card info may be helpful.

People with higher end systems are reporting VERY long load in times of 2 or more minutes just to get to server and character select and to zone. Anything that adds to these times, background processes may use some RAM.

In wndows right click start - click system / storage and turn off storage sense.

do a soft boot to task manager- ctrl + alt + del, select services and check for:
    Gamebar Presence Writer - disble this

while in services tab, any windows proprietary Xbox services, also disable these.

Windows has a "game mode" If your system has this vile thing on it, remove it. Disabling it is temporary only, it resets iteself. remove it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...turn-off/3788f3a5-4bee-41d4-8b09-a6fb013c28fe

On your taskbar right click and set it to ungroup / do not hide icons.

do these steps, reboot and try again.

If you're on wifi, if you can netcord instead, do that you might just be timing out there. Resetting your connection may help. I know Cox Communication often chokes bandwidth for instance and a reboot resets the connection to top speed. Cox is not the only provider who does this.

If you can use a different device, try that.

If you CAN get to character select, create a level 1, characters with less invetory load easier. If you can get to your settings this way, you can try turnrinig graphics down, then reloading other characters.
  7. Nozraku Lorekeeper

Not using any third party program for EQ. I don't even use GINA. Submitted a support ticket and they said post it here as well. I do use Discord but not the overlay. I also have Overwolf installed but that's for D2R and isn't used or even started for EQ.

I am using a fairly high end system, nothing crazy, but definitely not bottom end or middle of the road.

I can get in, but only by timing an Alt-Enter at the right time so I can see the Server Select screen.

Once in, I can play with little to no lag and what seems like a normal or near normal lag time for zoning but I cannot get the EQ client to minimize. The only way to do anything outside of EQ at that point is to completely close EQ.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

in game, alt enter swaps from fullscreen windowed to windowed, which releases the operating system's window control functions and the window can be minimized there. With this patch though it is difficult to resize/reshape the window itself as it defalts to the screen edge at the top and dangles offsscreen below, but a straight minimize to taskbar allows access to forum / allakhazam etc in the background.

Alt tabbing between accounts and alt escaping directly to desktop are currently problemiatic, especially from fullscreen.
  9. Nozraku Lorekeeper

Absolutely understand that's the way it's supposed to work. That is not the behavior I'm experiencing. Windowed mode is still staying above everything else and it won't minimize to the task bar.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

but in wndowed mode you see the - (minimize) [] (box to toggle fullscreen window to resized window/operating system control) and X close window control. at that stage, click the minimize.

(which is not how it's supposed to work, how it's supposed to work is alt tab or alt escape work from fullscreen, which is currently broken)

specifically, left mouseclick the window control - (minimize)

11. Nozraku Lorekeeper

That switches it back from windowed mode to full screen mode.
    Yinla and Sunawar like this.
  12. Sunawar New Member

This exactly. I cannot minimize EQ at all since patch. The top right minimize on the window bar puts EQ right back to full screen, it does NOT minimize the game. Alt tab of course does not work since yesterday so I have no way to get to desktop. Very inconvenient and really taking away from the game. This and how crappy the lighting is and game looks totally makes me not want to play for the first time in a few years. Please work on this Devs.
  13. Akilah New Member

Since the latest patch, I am having trouble switching between my 2 characters, especially after zoning, or alt tab to a browser. I have to log out completely and log back in to fix it. In addition, when I hit the window key, it will not go to desktop
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What are your system specs? Is the EQ folder on a HDD or a SSD?
  15. Jack Elder

16. Hegsheoshed Augur

I was having trouble tabbing out so I tried the Windows Key + D. I was unable to tab back in. I had closed Chrome so it wouldn't be using any memory and since there was only the desktop to tab to it created the need to use the Windows key + D key to get to the desktop.

I also noticed there was a new date for the eqclient.ini in the EQ folder as of today. With the browser open prior to running EQ it doesn't seem to be a problem. Everything seems smoother. Can tab to full screen accounts smoother. I see the darkness now that everyone was complaining about. Light sources are working but didn't try to get any vision buffs

Camping goes to character select seems stuck at character select. I did not try alt enter at this point to see if that would let me tab to the other account. I entered another character and was then able to tab again. Camped that character and alt+tab functionality was back.

Anyway smoother tabbing once you figure out what to do and what not to do.
  17. Hegsheoshed Augur

I meant for this to be in the veterans lounge. I am just now having my first coffee.
  18. Hegsheoshed Augur

I finally ended up camping a character on a third account and it hung trying to open the browser window and had to ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager to close the subbed accounts. No amount of clicking on the window on that account that hung was doing anything. No tabbing to desktop, no windows key to desktop and nothing from the windows key + d to get to desktop.
  19. Akilah New Member

20. Akilah New Member

Will this ever get fixed ?