DirectX 11 API Port is live!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

[IMG]
    It's finally here!

The DirectX 11 API Port is now live. DirectX 11 is included with the required Windows OS versions (see below), so in most cases, you will not need to install more software. Most systems that currently play EverQuest should be able to run DirectX 11.

There are a few goals with this port. For many people, the immediate benefit will be improved graphics performance and stability from modern drivers. Additionally, this allows our game to continue running in non-emulated graphics modes. Major graphics card manufacturers have already started running games for DirectX 9 in emulated modes (thus introducing another area for potential graphical lag in the future). Eventually, we'll have some new and improved art that takes advantage of the features of DirectX 11.

The following is a list of issues which were resolved since this has been on the test server.

Fixed several DirectX 11 issues:
    • Fixed a DX11 client issue that caused excessive memory growth while zoning.
    • Fixed a crash on application exit.
    • Fixed the "X" endpoint that's drawn when finding a path in the map window.
    • Fixed the black rendering of post effects spells where bloom lighting was disabled.
    • Improved D3D device reset logic.
    • Improved the handling of display mode aspect ratios that are close to native resolution.
    • Improved the performance of texture loading.
    • Fixed rendering jitter at the distant horizon.
    • Fixed a D3D device reset crash.
    • Fixed the rendering of items with post effects.
    New Minimum Requirements

You will need to ensure your PC meets the new requirements, which are as follows:
    MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS 

Processor: Intel Core i7-4771 / AMD Athlon X4 840
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti / AMD Radeon HD 7970, hardware feature level 11_0 or greater
    Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    Hard Drive: 20 GB of free hard drive space

OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS 

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 / AMD Radeon RX 5700, hardware feature level 11_1 or greater
    Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    Hard Drive: 20 GB of free hard drive space
    To verify your Operating System and Service Pack, open your Windows Search on your PC and type in MSINFO. You will see "System Information", press that. Within the "System Summary", you will find what OS Name and Version you have.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    To verify your DirectX version and your GPU's hardware feature level check DXDIAG. Go to Windows Search on your PC and type in DXDIAG. Click on the Display tab and in the box on the right titled Drivers, you will find your feature level.
    [IMG]
    Alternatively, you can look up any video card to check for compatibility at: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs. The hardware feature level will look like this, the number in the parenthesis is the feature level that this graphics card supports:
    [IMG]
    Troubleshooting

If your system meets the minimum specifications, you may need to install updates.
    If you're running Windows 7 (without any service packs), you will need to upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 and Platform update for Windows 7 SP1:
    If you're running Windows 8, you may need to install the DirectX 11.1 optional updates:
    Reporting Issues

To report bugs on this port, please post HERE. With each issue, please include as much information as possible. Such as zone, loc's, NPC names, your current graphics settings, screenshots of issues, or anything else that may be helpful for us to try to reproduce the issue internally.

FAQs

Q: What will the DirectX 11 change let you do that can't be done now, or is this just to keep the UI working with DX11 with bigger monitors?
    A: Some of the DirectX 11 features are tessellation, improvements to occlusion, and access to additional post-processing effects. You can read more about DirectX 11 features here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d11/direct3d-11-features

Q: I play on a laptop with just an onboard Intel graphics chip. Will this make things worse for me to play?
    A: If your integrated graphics supports DirectX 11 there should be a performance improvement, but specific configurations may vary. There should be extensive coverage for DirectX 11 and that is part of the reason why DirectX 11 was chosen instead of a newer version (wider hardware support). You can read more about Intel graphics API support here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics.html

Q: Will the DirectX 11 require a stand-alone graphics card?
    A: Depending on the capabilities of your PC’s integrated graphics, DirectX 11 may be supported. Intel HD4000 and higher should support DirectX 11.0. Intel HD4200 and higher should support DirectX 11.1.

Q: Will the lag get worse with DirectX 11 on older systems?
    A: Most likely not, though some older graphics cards, typically graphics cards older than 10 years, may not support DirectX 11, which would be the main drawback of the upgrade (most have had updates that added DX11 support). Graphics cards that support both DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 should see a performance improvement.

Q: What are the long-term plans for DirectX 11?
    A: The initial reason to move off DirectX 9 was to help future-proof our game, which may not be supported natively by modern graphics cards in the next few years. Intel stopped supporting DirectX 9 natively in 2022. DirectX 11 allows us to use newer features (see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d11/direct3d-11-features), such as tessellation and multithreading. DirectX 11 was chosen, over a newer version, to support Windows 7, older hardware, and be a less disruptive change overall.

Be sure to follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Discord. 
    minimind, Sturmlocke and fransisco like this.
  2. Jedis Arch Mage

Kudos to the team for pulling this one off. DX8 was introduced with Luclin back in 2001. Looks like 9.0c landed in 2005 may have been the last time the engine was touched.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to modernize the game we all love so dearly.
  3. djtar New Member

Running 12 on Win 10..... this is not working working now.

Fatal error: The game can't run on any GPU that your system has (0) becasue they don't support DirectX 11.0
    Mumnbly and Fluid like this.
  4. Brickhaus Augur

Where is the brightness?

If moving to 11 caused this, please revert back.

Old people need light!
  5. Graethos Journeyman

i'm having a problem with directx too i can't get in on my main pc the stupid slow box is fine tho lol
    Mumnbly likes this.
  6. Mumnbly New Member

Same here.
  7. Fluid Augur

Likewise. Dxdiag reports version 12, but EQ reports something like "Fatal ERROR No suitable GPU 0"
    This is a 3.4 GHz desktop, HP 4 core Intel CPU with 8 gigs running W10. Fairly average computer-fairly popular.
    Mumnbly likes this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I can say that the actual minimum processor is well below a 4th gen i7 currently. I have a 1st gen i7, a Core i7-965 Extreme to be specific, and EQ is running fine on it. However, I do have 24GB of RAM, a nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti running on Windows 10 Pro, so the min req processor might be there more for if you are running off of the integrated graphics rather than a discrete card. But then Minimum System Requirements these days tend to be fairly arbitrary aside from things like the OS required.

There are not a lot of people on currently, so will have to wait and see if things perform better over all later tonight.
  9. Forcallen Augur

IDK if its DX 11 or something else in patch but gamma is much darker and my computer seems to be running way harder.

I 4 box. Prior to patch my computer fans barely rev'd up no matter what I was doing. Now they all seem to be running a decent clip and then go ape after I zone. Not a computer guy but seems to way more stress on a computer now for what seems to be reduced graphics to me.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  10. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

What happened to anti aliasing option? I used to be able to force it via nvidia control panel when playing in window mode, not anymore. EverJaggy is real :(

and while I'm posting about visuals, now that we have Enhanced Vision slider can we please have the light source removed from helmet slot or at least implement some sort of toggle to turn it off.
  11. Sambert New Member

There may be a chance that your current GPU isn't up to date with DirectX 11. Its pretty old at this point, but who knows.
    1. Type in "dxdiag" on your start menu search, launch it,
    2. Press "yes" if a dialogue pops up.
    3. Go to "Display".
    4. "Feature Level", see if "11_0" (or higher) is listed.
    Picture for reference:
    [IMG]

You should also update your video driver. It's very simple to do. In the screenshot above, you'll see "Name: AMD Radeon RX 7600". Take note of what yours says when you check the feature level. Here are some links on auto-updating your driver from the official websites.

• For AMD Cards - click on "Download Windows Driver" in the box that talks about auto detect.
    • For Nvidia Cards - The GeForce Experience will automatically detect your card and OS, and notify you if there is an update.
    • For Intel Cards - The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)
    Cairbrae likes this.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Do the following:
    Then check and see if you have the following feature levels:
    [IMG]
    Sambert likes this.
  13. Amex111 Journeyman

Fix the brightness. This is unacceptable
    Veteran_BetaTester and Montag like this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

A separate change in the game update notes:

UI
    • Removed display gamma options and replaced them with a rendering effect that enhances brightness in the scene.

What kind of system are you 4 boxing on? Does it have a discrete graphics card or just use integrated graphics? The latter might have to run harder when boxing. I haven't tried that yet myself.
  15. LawfulEvil New Member

Looks better but game is to dark now. There is a enhanced vision slider but still to dark for me.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  16. Nyteeyes46 New Member

I play on a AMD ryzan 5 5600g with radeon graphics 12 cpu 3.9ghz and have DirectX 12 and gives me the error mentioned above. is what I have not compatable?
  17. Sambert New Member

Then I suggest trying to update your video driver. I posted links in my original post.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

The enhanced vision slider does absolutely jack and squat. Put it at 0 or 100, and nothing changes.

I miss my gamma settings.
    Joules_Bianchi and Nennius like this.
  19. Forcallen Augur

i5-13600KF 3.5 ghz
    Discrete GTX 3060.

Nothing changed on my end and for weeks prior it never did this. I don't think its my graphics card going ape its the 4-5 case fans like my system is running way way harder post patch.
  20. strongbus Augur

i get the same error and when i check my dx it show what you have

ok had to patch isbox. then it ran fine. was able to load via normal patcher
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.