A request for mounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomie, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Warpeace Augur

Best post!
    Ileasa likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've noticed the screen shake effect on some mounts. I guess the idea of the screen shake is to make it more like really riding a horse, where there is an up/down movement as the horse moves. A horse is not a smooth level ride like a car.

The other effect mounts have is the "low gravity" effect, where starting, stopping, and turning is as if you are on a reduced gravity planet/moon and your mass is the same as Earth but you feel the inertia.

So there is a delay in starting but once you are moving everything is fine, until you go to stop, then it kind of "lags". The same with changing direction.

For this reason, as well as the fact that it takes up less space, I use the flying carpet mount most of the time. The "inertia effect" of the carpet is less than most mounts. And of course there is no screen shake.
    Ileasa likes this.
  3. Jedis Arch Mage

It would be helpful if you guys gave specific item names so that he can summon them in game and test.
  4. ttobey Developer

If it's what I think it is, it will be on all mounts. It's just more obvious with the ones that move up and down a lot.
    Ileasa, Nennius, minimind and 3 others like this.
  5. ttobey Developer

I need to create a bug.
    So here's what's going on.
    Players have a joint called Cam01. This joint isn't attached to players movement. When you are in first person the engine uses Cam01 and you get no up and down animation on the camera.

On a mount, the player should be using the mounts Cam01. It's not. So the player's Cam01 is inheriting the mounts up and down animation.

Solution - Fix mount cam01.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Glad to see you stepped into the game (EQ1) and actually checked your work.

Wondering if Covic ever looked at those extreme glare textures. Or are they still working on it?

Because some of us are old enough to remember this...

ttobey, Apr 12, 2023
    Silvena and Fenthen like this.
  7. Gnomie Denser than most

I also know the duck from last year's Extra life event shakes. Also the extra life mount this year shakes, from what i've been told (I haven't claimed it yet, so can't verify). I do know the ant mount from underfoot has screen shake as well.
    Ileasa likes this.
  8. Gnomie Denser than most

You are amazing, thank you so much!
    Ileasa and Fanra like this.
  9. fransisco Augur

This is on soo many different mounts. Its soo distracting. I have a friend who has to use that awful giant hand mount because it has zero bounce. I know the knight mounts also have zero bounce.

It would be the best thing ever if this was removed from all mounts. I've also bought mounts that I just can't use.
    Ileasa likes this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm sorry...did you seriously not know this is how mounts have worked since they were introduced in SoL?

They have always "bounced". That was the tradeoff...you get standing mana regen and increased movement but you have to get seasick. Over the years, the more expensive (or achievement based) mounts would jiggle less until we get to where we are now with most mounts not moving that much.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. ttobey Developer

Seriously.
  12. ttobey Developer

It's a different bug. We were fixing a 3rd person thing that wasn't the same as 1st person.
    fransisco and Nennius like this.
  13. ttobey Developer

It's not in Covic's ability to fix that. It's not an art bug.
    Rijacki, Nennius and minimind like this.
  14. ttobey Developer

You have gotten better at snark! Ding 43!
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

He and the texture guy work on eq2. They just cram stuff into eq1 without looking at it, for over 20 years.

Then they tell funny stories about how the janky motion made people sick. And la de da maybe I'll check it in the future.

At least now he sees it.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Did you forget snark is the thing I've been max level at.. forever?
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's about checking your work before it goes into production.
  18. ttobey Developer

EQ1 had brand new ogres, goblins, deer, sheep, foxes and kerra this year, and they are some of the best looking npc's in the game. Covic's Art Director of EQ1 and EQ2, so not just the texture guy.
  19. ScreentimeInfinity Lorekeeper

Old skool horses are smooth in first or third, raptors are bad. A great many people complain of motion sickness from some of the mounts. It sounds like a lot of work to fix all mounts. Buy an adoptable mount that is very fast, claim and ride it. Then go to the bazaar and get an el Cheapo horse and it will then run very fast. Another fix is to learn to play in third person, its a lot less barf inducing watching the back of your toon bouncing up and down.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You already passed that buck for him a year ago.

It's also not about whoever may or may not be working on the bug.

It's about you needing to be told by people who paid money for it, Because you've never seen it yourself.