A request for mounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomie, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Gnomie Denser than most

I know this has probably been mentioned before, but I would like to make a formal request to remove the screen shake effect from all mounts.

That effect makes a lot of really good mounts hated by a lot of players, and brings nothing to the mount itself. I haven't spoken to anyone who enjoys that effect, and many who can't stand it. There's also no rhyme or reason as to which mounts have it, and you can't tell which mounts have the bounce effect until you actually acquire/buy it, and test it out.

I've been extremely disappointed that both mounts from the Extra Life event have had a huge bounce effect, making them really annoying to default to.

Please standardize mounts and get rid of this unnecessary annoyance.
  2. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I dunno what the "bounce" effect is but start/stop drift mounts do is the reason I never use them after getting the Blessing buff. Unfortunate because some of them (like the LS achieve one) look pretty nice.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Gnomie Denser than most

Just the screen shake effect that a lot of them have. Some of them are smooth just like being mountless. Some have a screen shake effect that bounces the screen up and down, I assume for aesthetics, but it's just extremely distracting and causes motion sickness in some folks.
    Ileasa likes this.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or perhaps allow the players to turn it off. Those who like it can still have it that way.
    Ileasa, Vumad, Thunderkiks and 9 others like this.
  5. Gnomie Denser than most

That would be great too. Or at the very least, have something in the mount description that tells people if it has the screen shake or not. I know quite a few people who get motion sick, and it's a dealbreaker. Especially when some store mounts cost ~20 bucks, but you have no clue if it shakes or not until you buy it.
    Ileasa and Nennius like this.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

Make them all like the Flying Carpets from TBL plz.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I use my reigndeer mount for the whole of December just to annoy everyone in the guild with its constant running. :)

The bobbing doesn't annoy me that much. But I do tend to switch it out for my carpet if I'm playing for a long time, although I do like the hawk harness, but others complain it is too big. :)
  8. Thraine Augur

i got the ant mount from convortium one day, and when i clicked it and started running it looks almost seizure inducing lol i used it till i got "sea sick" for lack of a better term, then ive never used it since :(
    Ileasa likes this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Get a better mount.

The hoverboard transport from Overseer achievements is perfectly smooth.
    Ileasa likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just a thought, but have you checked sites like ZAM and Fanra's wiki? They may have the info you're looking for. Seems like people would share this info, since obviously many people care about it.
  12. ttobey Developer

Which mounts have a screen shake? There's no screen shake setting added to the mount. And are you talking about in 1st or 3rd person?
    Yinla likes this.
  13. ttobey Developer

It would be the camera getting animated somehow.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Jedis Arch Mage

Regal Tree Squirrel Saddle shakes the screen when riding in first person view. Quite a lot, actually.
    Ileasa likes this.
  15. Lilfella Elder

the Seizure Raptors given to the level 85 heroics are pretty bad as well.

Item name: Jungle Raptor Saddle
    disclose, Ileasa, Exuo and 1 other person like this.
  16. ttobey Developer

Let me see if the camera is animating.
    minimind, Yinla and Tatanka like this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Seizure Raptors, LOL! My favorite phrase for the day :)
    Ileasa, fransisco and Rijacki like this.
  18. ttobey Developer

weird, cam01 isn't animating at all. It might be from the rotation of the squirrel, but if 1st person the Cam01 joint should eliminate that.
    Let me jump in game.
    minimind and Yinla like this.
  19. ttobey Developer

ok yeah i see it.
    bbanz, Ileasa, Exuo and 5 others like this.
  20. GrandOpener Elder

There are many, and like Gnomie says it's difficult to predict which mounts will or won't without using them. The effect is stronger on some mounts than others and also seems variable depending on the race of the rider. It affects both first and third person. (Maybe related to animation on the attach point when you're riding?)

Some specific examples: the Gnomish Hovering Transport is perfectly smooth. The Glowing Black Drum bounces up and down enough to be annoying but I can tolerate it if I have to. (I don't have a huge mount collection, but my impression is most mounts fall into this category). A particularly bad example is the Jungle Raptor Mount given to level 85 heroics, especially when used by a gnome. Running across perfectly flat ground, the screen violently shakes up and down. I literally get dizzy if I try to use that one.
    Ileasa, Fenthen and Rijacki like this.