Personas on the next TLP Launch

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by natedogg, Jan 15, 2024.

1. natedogg Journeyman

Lurker here coming out of hiding...

I stick my head up about once a year to check on details for the next TLP launch (yeah, I'm one of those).

I just did some reading on Personas (just heard about them yesterday). I understand there are a number of bugs left to fix, but lets assume for a moment they get fixed.

Do the hardcore TLP folks (I'm addressing the guys that go hard on launch, and raid hard once level capped at each expansion, and lead such guilds) think Personas will be a positive for such guilds?

If you need another wizard or another bard (or any class), you could easily give raid loot to someone to make a wizard or bard persona with. That persona could easily be PL'ed, and boom...you've got a newly geared wizard or bard?

This is a little simplistic, but in classic, a full set of Loam would allow someone to make a persona of every caster class (Ench, Mage, Necro, Wiz), and only need a single set of gear.

Or, do people think it will just lead to more loot whoring, where a person has a desire to have their character get all the phat lewts for each of their Personas?

I'm honestly waiting for the first person to complete multiple epics in Kunark on one character.
  2. Stratka Lorekeeper

It's unknown and will depend on the ruleset but the major question is whether Personas are better than just having a box or having another character on the account.

For Oakwynd, characters can share most equipment (not epics though) on the same account. And just as important, the characters do not share DZ lockouts on the account. This meant you could kill Vox in a DZ, then move your items to another character on that same account, and kill Vox again.

This is currently not the case with Persona's where they all share the same DZ lockout.

However (and I need someone who has played Persona's to really answer this), I think Persona's share keys/achievements so that is kind of nice for later expansions. But again, is it better than a box or another character if the next TLP has legacy characters as well?

In terms of epics, guilds that ran mirror/clone/etc raids had plenty of members that farmed epics multiple times on the same account. Especially for clerics and warriors. I personally did the Wizard epic 3 times on my account.
  3. natedogg Journeyman

I see what you mean Stratka. It seems that what we'd really want is for the personas to be treated/viewed as completely different characters by the game for some purposes, but as the same for others:
    Only require flagging for the character, but not the persona.
    Lock out the persona on a DZ, but not the character.

True "keying" would be easy...i.e. you still have your Seb key in your inventory, so you could simply use it click in on a new persona. Although, sharing the keyring would be much easier. If I happen to make a new persona 3 years down the road, I really don't want to have to hold to that Seb key in my inventory.
    I also, see what you mean about the rule set. If its a free trade server like FV, loot transfer really isn't an issue.

I also posted another thought on AA's and personas. I'm not sure everyone will want to farm AA's on every persona. If they have alts they can do that simultaneously. Personas would require separate play time. So, maybe an AA earned on the character, means each persona gets an AA to spend?

Lot of interesting thoughts.
  4. Stratka Lorekeeper

Yup! And AAs are a problem on Oakwynd as well since if you're running multiple mirrors/clones, you still have to AA on each of them.
  5. natedogg Journeyman

Forgive me for asking something that may be completely obvious.... but what do you mean by mirror/clone?
  6. Stratka Lorekeeper

Two of the same classes on the same account on Oakwynd. So like two warriors so you can run a DZ, then move all the gear to the second warrior on the same account, and do a second DZ.

Could do something similar on Mischief but needed two separate accounts. On Oakwynd, can just do it with one account.
  7. IlllIllIllIlll Journeyman

I'm curious how the tradeskill sharing is going to work on a TLP without having access to the New Tanaan crafting AA. Does that mean whatever tradeskill you do first on a persona is also going to lockout all the other personas?
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Interesting, I'd forgotten about that.