Time to make some universal chat channels level required to use

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Runes, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I strongly disagree, you are suggesting that no obvious problems can be pointed out with a solution unless the person has a better idea. The fact is that you can use the test server to get to level 25 which would bypass this, PL people can just PL the bot to level 20 to bypass, or they can just switch to sending tells. This proposed solution will do little to stop spamming and it will just make communication harder especially on a new TLP server where a lot of people will be below level 20.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The obvious solution would be to have GM's taking more action against the accounts that spam but even that is problematic as they can keep spinning up accounts as others get banned and are no longer usable. As long as they are making more money they they are losing due to bans they will keep up with the spam.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Being able to block cross sever chats would be nice but you would still have the issue when they get to your server and just create more alts with new names and eventually you run out of space in your ignore list.
  4. Jagular Journeyman

A nice feture would be if you have put 3 characters on ignore from the same account you will get an option to put the whole account on ignore, then it wont matter if the spammer makes a new character or not. Not sure its possible for DB to do this but would be a nice feture.
    natedogg likes this.
  5. CdeezNotes Augur

You strongly agree to engaging conversations. Yes, I am aware.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need to give counter ideas to engage in conversations. Pointing out problems with an idea is also engaging in conversations..
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Bring back the Bazaar channel, and seriously enforce it. All WTS/WTB/WTT Gear/Krono/LR/PL/Carry/etc auctions and related chat need to exist only this channel.

Would be nice to see all the LFG/Buff requests have a home via policy as well.

Imagine, chat channels actually for chat!
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

Need? No. Should? Yes, because it creates engaging and meaningful discussion. Something you're absolutely allergic to.

Pointing out problems, like I said, is a lazy discussion and doesn't help drive a conversation forward. It's easy to point things out, much like I'm doing.

Example: i point out yoyu never provide alternatives. All you do is criticize and go into circular arguments, much like what you're doing right now. I suggest if you want to be taken more seriously that you actually provide alternative solutions after your critiques. This creates better responses and civil discussion. Otherwise, you end up with nothing substantial.

I doubt it will happen. I mean you're the guy who got mad at me for you making a fool of yourself by replying to the wrong person for 3 days after being told you were multiple times.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, people are not required nor should they be required to provide other ideas when a problem with an idea can be trivially spotted. Limiting chat to level 20 and above will not stop spam at all and at best it will just change it from channels to tells which are much more annoying and harder to ignore.

And if this change was made I can see some of the complaints now about being spammed by tells from spammers, or how the PL groups are still spamming general, or how the test server is being used for spammers.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Blocking entire accounts is useless.

So they just make another account.

Not hard and the only determent to this is if you make 4 or more accounts in a short time span then they will ask you to set up 2 step. So it takes you a day longer to make more accounts.
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

1. Message limit per IP.
    2. Fee per message beyond limit...in platinum.
    3. Profit.

Forum argues message limit and price per message. Fees are directed to a fund that can be used for things like rez tokens and portal stones.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A message limit per IP sounds interesting but need to be careful to not limit non spammers.
  13. Aiona Augur

Per IP will not see the light of day, unless it is set up as a trigger in a multistep process. As Waring mentioned, I would also point out that a significant amount of funds come from families and players who have multiple accounts on the same IP.

In other words, it can't be as simple as a "per IP message limit." The only gaming company/team/organization that institutes restrictions like this are services that don't care to receive payments or subscriptions, like private servers/private funding.
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Or when an easier to implement solution is called for.

They have done this sort of thing already.

My suggestion was more tongue-in-cheek than an actual solution to resolve the proposed problem.

You need a pain point for the people exhibiting an undesired behavior to curb the undesired behavior. Unfortunately, that usually comes with inconveniencing those that do not exhibit the undesired behavior.

Tax everyone to chat from message #1 if necessary. Make it so you have to decide if what you have to say is really worth it. But really, where does it end? The spam is done to reach people that respond to the spam. It has an incentive.

Personally, I think the general chat should just remain general chat and it should have a reasonable throttle on messages over a period of time using a method that identifies the human source of the message most accurately.

An IP is simpler than implementing rules on levels because getting levels is not that restrictive especially if the spammers are users of certain tools some allude to them as. Level rules will likely lead to needing rules on how often a character can be created. Will that be per account, per credit card, per email, per day, per week, per month? Where does it begin/end? On a network, numerous tools already exist to identify the source of undesired things and filter.

You could allow players to moderate general chat but that has its own set of problems with implementation and real world use.
  15. Bernel Augur

It would greatly help if they gave players the tools to block chat messages. For instance:

* Give us ways to turn off cross-server chat messages
    * Give us ways to block chat messages that contain certain phrases (similar to Audio Triggers)
    * Give us ways to have our ignore lists be common to all our characters (e.g.You ignore someone once and he's ignored on all your characters).

Even the suggestion in the OP could be user controlled. Give me the ability to auto-ignore any chat messages from characters lower than a certain level. That way if I want to ignore level 1's in chat, I can do that myself. This could all be done client-side so that there's no concern about server load. Send the message to my client and my client decides whether or not to show it. Tools like that would allow users a lot more control to block what they don't want to see in chat. Spammers could still spam as much as they want, but if I can block it myself, I won't really care.
  16. Aiona Augur

"Per IP will not see the light of day"

They have done this on P99, they have not done this on official servers. Nice try though.
  17. Aiona Augur

So, you posted just to stir the pot? That's fine! :)

But please understand that you are among many players over the years that have advocated for IP restrictions for multiple accounts, boxing or any other features in EverQuest. And doing so could have a very negative effect on the family, friends and loved ones who enjoy playing this game together and sharing years of unforgettable memories, camaraderie and adventure -- many of them from the same IP, my family and I included.

Suggesting something that will have a lasting detrimental impact on the way we have enjoyed our game together for decades is unconscionable, and to suggest such a thing purely for your own entertainment is diabolical.

Good day to you.
  18. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

That 's cute.

I'm sure we can assume the people that were having issues with Truebox in the same household were all doing nefarious things that triggered it not because of how Daybreak implemented it.

Suggesting they handle spam using IP addresses will not harm anyone nor would implementing it. The sky is not falling nor did it fall with the Truebox issues.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

I also like the idea of a client-based, configurable chat filter. Let me block strings that contain " 'WTS " or whatever I want, without the need for an ever-growing and useless ignore list.

Also maybe I just want to ignore certain spammy messages from a player, or some drunk guy for one night, necessarily not ignore them entirely. Right-click 'mute for 30 days' option or the like.