New TLP idea thread #1567

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kenshin11, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Kenshin11 Journeyman

Just going to contribute some of my ideas for a new TLP in 2024:

- Free trade (obviously)
    - All Live class/race combinations open at launch
    - Kunark start
    - Normal expansion progression rules, Mangler XP rate, AoC's, the usual
    - First to Engage rules from Oakwynd.
    - Option for added boss difficulty for extra/better loot, essentially a hard mode for all raid bosses. They can have more HP, do more damage, have extra mechanics, etc. I think this would be really appealing. This could be expanded to named mobs also.
    - Relaxed Truebox (two clients per PC)

Tell me what ya'll think!
  2. Kahna Augur

Pretty sure DPG has already decided on and begun development on the new TLP server, if my limited experience in the video game industry and it's development cycles is correct. Assuming it needs development and isn't just an amalgam of past servers. Suggestions at this point are unlikely to be considered if they were ever were going to be considered. November is when you want to flood the forums with these posts. Give em time to stew over the ideas while finishing up the latest expansion.
    Brildon likes this.
  3. Kenshin11 Journeyman

Eh, maybe they'll consider these ideas in 2025 then.
  4. Kaelok New Member

Surely they'll include some kind of hardcore and/or ssf options on one of these servers too.
  5. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

The only way they could have Drakkin in to start would be to disable almost all of the quests, and dramatically reduce the ZEM for Crescent Reach and Blightfire Moors. Oh and disable most loot drops. It's still doable if they would be willing to put in the work. Level to 20-22 in CR and then move on to either BM or even High Keep. I think it would be a great starter city regardless, and a destination for all characters that could make the trip, if they left in the free 54 skill point crating quests.

Some of us in my guild had this discussion the other day, and we came up with most of what the OP suggested. I'm keen on playing the master race, froglok, at launch, and having more class options for all races. Seriously, if amateurs can do it in their spare time for private servers, I expect the professionals to be able to do it as well.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

In an attempt to be more positive, I did have an idea that wouldn't be for TLP players. It's way too late to implement, but here goes.

• Merge the 3-4 lowest pop Live servers into say the 3rd or 4th highest pop server.
    • Start a new Live server, but with a Classic start, and unlock content the same as a TLP, though with a slower unlock rate.
    • No special rules, or have a FV clone, or if they are doing something spectacular for the 2024 TLP, a copy of that. It really doesn't matter.
    • None of the restrictions found on a TLP, such as focus effects on items during Classic, though no Defiant seems reasonable. Activate the extended target window at level 1, as well as OOC regen.
    Even though I have an All Access account, it's the 25th anniversary. All players should get something out of it.
    Innate - Monk likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If they merge live servers to launch a new live server it should start with everything unlocked, otherwise you are creating a TLP not a live server.
  8. NImxat Elder

So, a new live server like Vox started, everything open but a "premium" server. Throw in FT and maybe Mischief loot and it's a party!
  9. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

If they don't do a random loot, free trade TLP variation ( maybe loot drops off any mob in level range, not just nameds like Mischief) which does NOT start again in classic, I would be sad!
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Yeah why start a new server with everything unlocked? Why couldn't there be a TLP for free to play? It's not going to happen, the suggestion is late to the party. But shouldn't the 25th anniversary have something for all players, and not just those of us that maintain All Access status?
  11. uk6999 Augur

No FTE. To many automated groups running rampant with no recourse on Oakwynd. I was in Chardok today and there were 3 different automated groups from two different guilds. One had been there for over 28 hours.
  12. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Clearly they are all truebox players who can play 20 chara at the same time 24x7.

Any mention of them will get posts deleted, so accept this truth!
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Then why call it a live server when it clearly isn't?
    Barton-Vox likes this.
  14. Kabouter New Member

Or they could just ban people using automation tools. This was so rampant on Oakwynd, surely someone working 1 hour a day could ban 90% of the bots, since they are on 24/7 anyways.
    Right now they made us report and submit video evidence of something that is very easy to check by just teleporting to the location. I have to assume that the chances of getting banned are just very slim.

My only hope for the new TLP would be them banning bots (and maybe banning PL services), besides that I don't care that much, free trade is nice, heirloom is nice, etc.. but in the end it doesn't make or break the game for me I'll be there again for classic :).
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Start a NEW LIVE SERVER, but start it at a Classic launch. You have to have an All Access status to play a TLP, but not a Live server. I got accused of being a gatekeeper a while back, but dang, if you ain't one...
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Live servers have all content unlocked, TLP servers are time locked. So which do you want? It sounds like you want an F2P TLP, but that isn't what you are asking for. Its a mute point anyway as I don't see them merging any live servers. The lowest population server is Vox and it gets all the TLP servers merged into and that doesn't seem to be working well for them and still only has 1 raid guild.

Merging servers isn't as simple as it sounds. Merging AB with any other server is pointless due to the playtimes of those on the server. Merging them isn't going to give either server more players to group with due to the time difference. Every live server has raid guilds and aren't as in need of mergers as some would make out. Cazic only has 2 raid guilds but is one of the live servers who hit high population when you look at server status.

I think there maybe a new live server in the near future. But not starting at day one, but changing Mischief to a live server instead of merging when it catches up and keeping its rule set. I think the population on Mischief will be too high to merge with FV when it gets there. Unlike Brekt when it reached that point.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

And here we go, with one of the usual suspects going full negative "we can't do this, we can't do that". I've been here a very long time. At no point, on the servers I've been on that merged, was anything ever asked of those of us on those servers, did we want it, did we need it, or anything else. Decisions were made by the powers that be. Did they take metrics into play to decide? You bet. Do either of us know what they were? Not a chance. Is there ANY reason ever given, that they couldn't start a new FREE TO PLAY SERVER (since you are stuck on Live means all content on day one) that behaved like a TLP with content unlocking at set intervals? None that has ever been given by DayPaw, SOE, Verant, or any other name they have gone by. It's never been mentioned, to my knowledge, until I did so.

But you at least agree there are servers that should be merged, right? And there are servers that shouldn't be, at least not now, right? As far as Mischief, there's not a server they could merge to. Brekt at least was the same loot rules as FV. I know a new server for the F2P masses that unlocks like a TLP is not going to happen for the anniversary. But it's not because of naysayers and gatekeepers like yourself. It's because the idea, if any red names saw it, was too late for them to do anything about it, if they thought it was a decent idea or not.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you have finished having a go at me, maybe we can debate this further.

For some reason EQ devs wanted TLP players to have a subscription. I have nothing against a TLP which was F2P, I'd also be up for Agnarr going F2P but keeping its current rules as that is what the players on that server seem to want.

A F2P TLP (should they ever launch one) should have the basic rules of a TLP server with features unlocking the same as they do on all access TLPs. No doubt they would want the usual merge into a live server when it catches up, with any special rules removed. Unless it reached live with a decent number of players still on it.

The biggest problem with F2P is all the good stuff is prestigious. Which means those who raid are going to need a subscription anyway. Which maybe why TLPs need a sub as most raid and there is no complaing about gear being yellow and not working that way. Live has been complaining about the amount of gear and augs that is perstigious for years, so I'm not sure they would be willing to remove those restrictions for a TLP. Though they have in the past been more willing to make changes for TLPs than live.

I play both live and TLP so I get the best of both worlds. Or the worsed of both worlds depending on your perspective. :p

Expectations for Mischief from most people is that it will be merged into FV and lose its special features the same way other TLPs have been merged into other live servers. I'm hoping it makes it to live with a decent population and is made a live server with its ruleset still in place.

As for merging servers only Daybreak know what the real player populations are and if they warrent merging. Live hasn't had any requests for server merges for a while, so I'm not sure if things have changed. One things that seems to be a constant is TLP servers merge into Vox and the players transfer else where.