Massive overseer conversion!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gentsia, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

For the conversions, sync your computer's clock. That's why they're taking so long.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. fransisco Augur

what do you mean sync computers clock? The time and tick is controlled by the server. Your computer has no input into it.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Your date and time settings > Interenet time > Change settings (might be slight differences based on your OS)

Pick a server to sync your clock to. If your computer's clock is off by even a second or two, EQ will freak and stuff like OS will not count down properly. I always sync it right before I start playing.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. fransisco Augur

this doesnt change anything. Either you are wiating to click the button so its inline with the server tick, or you click and wait afterwards. There is no net change, you still wait.
    Either way, this doesn't address the actual problem. You need to wait 10+ seconds for a conversion to occurr.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

The server sends timestamps, not ticks. Client ticks is calculated between server timestamp and client time.

Its not the 10s thats the issue (or the additional 3s for server roundtrip on completion), its the delay after the 10s thats the issue. When the client time strays by more than a second, it causes overseer to delay completion by an exponential amount, a 1-2s variance can cause overseer to delay claiming by 10-20s.
    Nennius and Barton-Vox like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

OK, don't adjust your clock and continue to experience long conversion times. Doesn't bother me. I sync my clock so my conversions (when I bother to do them) work just fine.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I've never needed to sync my clock, but doing so is just two mouse clicks away. You may as well try it for something that is pretty much effortless.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Definately need a better way to convert 3 to 1 is painfully slow or maybe give us a option to delete agents on the spot and please no delay like 10 seconds. Why is there even a 10 second wait on coverting anyways its annoying and stupid!
  9. Windance Augur

Protect the server from conversion spam.

Maybe a "fix" for some race condition.
  10. KarmaKitty Augur

I think, they understand this is really high on our list of desired changes. Everyone who uses it dislikes this aspect of /over. Almost Everyone uses it because it is good XP (given XP per kill is so low).

The question is will they do anything to help or ignore the issue. Can they monetize the solution?
  11. KarmaKitty Augur

Also, what is the point of the XP bars by quest category? Maxed those out shortly after release
    and still see few blue or purple quests.

The vast majority of the blue/purple task I've completed have been agent conversion. Really, how
    many copies of Brell do I need ?
  12. Gialana Augur

The xp bar work your level of quests. Except for the holiday quests (and recovery), if you have leveled a category to 3, the quests you're offered in that category will be level 3 quests, though they can be easy, common, uncommon, rare, or elite. Also, a level 3 common research quest gives better rewards than a level 1 common research quest.

It would be nice if we could get the blue and purple quests offered more often, though.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Brickhaus Augur

The concept that DPG has of a "rare" and "uncommon" (and "elite") are so far removed from normal gaming terms.

In general, a "rare" designates one per pack, which means we should be seeing at least one rare per Overseer quest flip, which is not what we see. We see too few uncommons, not enough rares ... and I'll be honest, no idea about elites.

The other thing that greatly skews the "uncommon"+ appearances are the recovery tasks, which pretty much everyone ignores (unless you are building agents and the only higher level agent of a particular type is disabled ... but that's very specific circumstance).
    Gialana likes this.
  14. Crashdummy Elder

If there was an enhanced conversion into game, I would like the option to keep base 2 Commons and base 2 Uncommons, but such is unlikely until there is something to do with all the spare Elites that will eventually exist- turn them into Tetras, maybe.
  15. Bobokin Augur

I have posted about this many times, and I have given several option to help with this. None of the options have been acted upon. They did change the order of things in overseer, but that is like a Spongebob band-aid on a gaping gunshot would.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

At this point in the Overseer lifespan, I think it's really gone astray from what it was originally envisioned to be. I think the original concept was to have some sort of half-baked card game that gave you some rewards, but now it's just a log-in reward system with extra and completely unnecessary steps.

I think the best thing to do is get rid of the agents entirely, and just let people pick five task types, start them, and then 6, 12, or 24 hours later claim the reward. That's really all it has become now...the agents are just clutter that increase lag and add nothing to the system. Autofill proves that.

It was a nice idea, but I don't think any of the devs were really behind it from the start and they seem unable or unwilling to fix what's wrong with it, beyond basic functionality.
    Vumad likes this.
  17. fransisco Augur

I think people are ascribing too much mtg or other card game rules to this.
    Overseer isn't a mini game, its a reason to log in every single day and click stuff - maintain user engagement. It uses a few aspects of an online card game, but it was never supposed to be a full card game. It is its own thing.
  18. Muramx Augur

The 2 things I would like to see is a mass convention whether you have 20 or 2000. When you do a "convert all" the more to have the longer it takes. Also would like to see old raid or group currency as an option. So people can buy bags or Augs or even gear up to a certain expansion.
  19. Shea Lorekeeper

The clock sync thing just changes the way the 10 sec wait period is displayed. It was a lot easier to see before they changed starting a conversion to not automatically switch to the quest list tab.

If your clock is out of sync by a few seconds you would see it start at something like 5 seconds, then it would just pause when it finished until the other 5 seconds finished... or (I think, I don't remember exactly) start above 10 seconds and 'finish early'. It doesn't really have an effect on the overall issue.

The bigger lag issue has to do with how many agents you have. It's very easy to see if you have varying systems that you run EQ on with different levels of CPU/Memory. On faster PC's higher numbers of agents don't cause as much of a problem, with slower PC's it's very noticeable. I've got a modern gaming laptop that I normally run my main account on and with 1k+ agents, it's still pretty snappy. On another system with a much slower CPU/less memory there is a good 15sec pause anytime I do anything that requires adding/removing/looking up/recovering an agent (starting OS, doing auto-fill, starting a quest, claiming a reward that adds agents).

It has been mentioned in other threads, by devs, that the OS code needs some work.

My suspicion is that when you start OS that it pulls your agent list into a local/client data structure that isn't very efficient (ie. a linked list vs. a well balanced tree or something on those lines) that causes the time it takes for any addition/removal/search for agents to take longer the more you have and is heavily dependent on CPU/Memory. If this is the case, it would take quite a bit of work to rewrite that as well as update everything that uses it which is why it probably hasn't been done.
  20. Shea Lorekeeper

What would be nice (and probably not terribly hard to do, I don't know) would be to add a 'no agent' reward as on option for critical successes. I would think it would be fairly easy (maybe not) to do for the default rewards and could possibly include slightly more xp/coin instead of the agents? Even without it would be worthwhile. It would most likely be a massive PITA to do it for all the tradeskill options etc. but it would at least give a way to avoid accumulating more agents.
    Silvena and Tatanka like this.