High Five to the Dev Team!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well played, sir :)
    Nennius and jeskola like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Them showing up wouldn't change any restrictions on what items and slots a pet can use from gear that a player hands them. It could easily be that while they can equip two wrists they are only able to equip one that is given to them from a player.
  3. Hegsheoshed Augur

If a pet owner is paying attention they can give new weapons based on what they see. Even just zoning to check and give the pet new weapons. This will give pet owners the ability to check what they can't see. I sent an exploit report in some time back but never saw any response until now about pets being able to be 'gimped'. I didn't want to say anything in any public forums though as it would have enabled more bad actors. Weapons are not the main problem.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Just tested the vision brightness for a few hours with the default UI.

As a side note:
    Found a lost lvl 11 ranger with banded and patchwork armor on test, which I played the last time in 2001. 21 hours playtime for level 11. Leveling was kinda slow back in the days. :)

To the testing:
    • Fullscreen mode
    • Single screen
    • Windows 10
    • APU: AMD Radeon Vega 7
    • Latest AMD Adrenaline software / driver

I tested both, the new UI engine and the old UI engine. Old engine performed so much better. Faster performance, faster lodading times, and sharper graphics. There was no difference for using the vision slider between them.

I still do not like the vision brightness as it does only brighten the textures of the surrounding objects but not the UI, not the sky, and if I remember right, also not the PC. When moving the vision slider to the right side, even a night scene in Butcherblock Mountains and PoK can look nearly like during daylight which is surreal.

The next problem are worn light sources like a Greater Lightstone. They only have a minimal effect now. Same for wood elf infravision which turned everything slightly red during the night / in dark areas, in the past. It was non existant. Basically it was like playing with zero gamma increase. I got used a bit to it after awhile, and the night atmosphere was quite interesting, but especially during daylight everything was much to dark and unrealistic. 15-20% vision brightness worked at best for me.

I also compared screenhots from the live server with those from the test server. No difference, as the gamma factor never influenced them, and the vision brightness does neither.

Hopefully that never goes live. A combination of the gamma slider and the new vision brightness could be interesting for dark areas. Vision brighness alone does make the game worse for a single screen user. The old gamma factor feature never made any problems. Why do you try to break a running machine, again ?! "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
  5. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Iven, my man...if you are wanting the in game gamma setting to raise the gamma of your UI, that is a strong infication your monitor settings need to be adjusted. I'm also skeptical of your comments being correct on the matter because of what faerune/ultravision are actually supposed to mean in the game.
  6. Ravanta Suffer Augur

They can sometimes visually see that someone has traded them weapons. The ability to see the change if they zone is as I am sure you would agree not an ideal situation because charm pets, or if zoning would ultimately mean the player would lose their camp or slow down their raid. Again, the /pet inventory check command is fantastic because it removes any doubt. And in many respects, weapons are the main problem, due to some raid mechanics disallowing fire/cold effects. I'm assuming you're referring to a person giving a pet a cloak that it would wear over the enhancement cloak. To the same point as earlier, the new change does enable someone to know if it's been done. Perhaps your report is partly to thank for the new command...so nice work!
  7. Iven the Lunatic

The monitor is adjusted to the Windows 10 desktop. EQ was always to dark since the ancient 640*480 UI + UI engine, got removed, which is why the gamma slider got added. That was with 4 different monitors, many more graphics cards and diferent windows versions the case. Afaik most users have similar experiences. Screenshots are always to dark since anno 2001 to me. So either MS Windows had and has a gamma problem, or EQ. I do think that it is EQ but I might be wrong. It seems that both software is not very compatible to each others, graphics wise.

Regarding ultravision, that one used to grant the PC and user a slightly blue colored vision but I think that it got broken or just removed long ago in favor of a neutral color temperature. Just search for old screenshots from 1999-2005, where the huge effects of IV and UV are documented.

Here is a typical example for infravision (IV) from 2004. It was only that extreme when not using a Greater Lightstone (GLS) or similar. Also visible is the second ship (boat) version. Today there is ship version 3.0 or higher.
  8. Hegsheoshed Augur

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not against this change. It's about time. It is long overdue. Maybe with about 5 very(s) or however you pluralize very. I feel like Charlie Brown in the Coaster's song.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you read the test discussion for this patch on test it is all explained, I think it was left items can be removed but not replaced and I think that was by design. I read it a few days ago.

As for the Gamma if you are going straight from live to test it won't adjust the gamma correctly. Turn comp off and on again and then log into test.

It is all there in the discussion thread.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

And having to clap into the hands 10 times before the login. ;) I will now search for that mythical thread...

Here is what I found:
    Post 86
    Post 91

That is a player specific problem which does depend on the gamma settings and the dev confirmed that there is no need to reboot with the right handling.