Is there a group finder?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by ArystosRenwick, Jan 4, 2024.

1. ArystosRenwick New Member

So I am in the tutorial area and the mission Arachnophobia is a group mission, but I started playing this game as a solo player. So how do I find someone to help me out with this quest (and hopefully more, but at the moment I just need help with this)?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
  2. DeadRagarr Augur

There is no group finder. On non TLP best bet for grouping is to find a guild as most of the population is top heavy.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

There is an unused (at least on live) group finder.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

If theres others in the zone you can try /ooc chat.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

/lfg

...but nobody uses it

For Arachnophobia, you can try to kill her with a merc. If that doesn't work, come back in a few levels and try again. There's no "requirement" to be in a group in order to complete this one.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Rijacki like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The tutorial is a very small zone in the world of EQ and is limited to players under level 10 ish. So for this place the best way to find a group is to type out in your chat bar: /ooc looking for group

Others near your level will answer you and then if you all agree you can make a group and go kill stuff.

Later after you leave the tutorial and you are in the lower zones like Crescent Reach and the Moors you can do it the same way with an /ooc because these zone are also kind of small and most players are near your level.

Once you get up a few levels you will want to use General Chat and type in something like level 65 healer or warrior etc lfg. This lets others know your level so a level 120 doesn't try to add you to their group and also lets them know what class.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Just to add to this:
    /lfg doesn't put your group together, it is a listing of all those who have voluntarily raised the flag and entered their info either as a player looking for a group or a group looking for more players. The LFG UI automatically picks up your level and class and lets you added other information such as what kind of group or player you're looking for. Those who claim there is no "group finder" generally want a 'matching' system that will build a group for them without any effort (but then such systems get derided for making the 'wrong' groups).

As for the "group content" in Gloomingdeep Mines, the group indication is more of a suggestion than a requirement. There is no check to see how many are in your group. For many/most classes you can do them with a single character + merc though you might need to be a higher level (max level 10) than the target. If you're on a more populous server, if you go into the location of the mob, when someone else comes close, you can ask if they want to group with you for both of you to get the update. Many will do so though they might de-group immediately after.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

ok 1st some commands you should know
    /list
    /who all #lvl #lvl
    /who all lfg
    /ooc
    /lfg on
    /lfg off
    /lfguild

1st /list this bring up the text channels are you in
    use that number of that channel you can send a text out
    /1 class level lfg would go to every body in general
    /1 war 15 lfg

2nd their is a EXPansion channel based open what zone your in like EOK
    /2 war 15 lfg -would only go to peeps in EOK

3rd if you knwat what zone your want to play in
    /ooc war 15 lfg - only the peeps in the same zone and Version would see it

4th turning on or off lfg
    /lfg on - this turns on the flag after your name when you do a WHO
    /who all lfg - find others who are looking for a group

5th this command is the same window as if your clicking on the items in Guild Lobby message boards.
    /lfguild it have various pages where you can look for guilds recruiting.
    most of the lf group or players lfg you might see a rare someone use it but most don't use it.

make sure to put on your friends list who your with group for so then you can see if they are on later and have room for you again to group.
  9. EagleTalon99 Elder

It's best to join a large guild and also use the the /general chat to find groups.

On live servers, nobody uses LFG anymore, and only guilds bother with the bulletin board in Guild Lobby. I suspect few players bother even looking at the guild bulletin board in Guild Lobby.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

And yet we see these threads constantly. It's almost as if other games provide this feature without the community having to step up and perform the role of basic group/matchmaking.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I have been in many many thousands of groups in EQ, Guild / Friendlist / /ooc in hotzone / new expansion content, OMMs, Gribbles, General chat and have never had an issue without a group finder.

I played some other games like WoW and ESO, etc.

I still play EQ. I don\t play WoW at all and rarely log in to ESO

WoWs group finder is a ticket to toxicity as often as it's a speed run with zero care that you're there for a quest step, no we're not going that way and WILL /kick you if you go down that hall and slow us down.

I gladly trade not having to be coddled into a group that doesn't want ___________ class DPS or healer, etc. I DO prefer the player next to me actually be from my own server, so we might, I don't know, friendlist and group tomorrow?

WoW uses "Sharding", which is doublespeak for a localized locus zone that players from multiple servers are pushed to to reduce the need for servers to spin up content.

You'll likely never see THAT player again as they aren't from YOUR server.

oh and /cough

roleplay.

mmoRPg

I miss the old .null value for command /friendlist The text echo

"You have no friends. Go make some"

Today's modern gaming LFG tool is discord and guild chat, general, class and zone chats ingame.

More easily accopmlished when those players are the same on YOUR server daily.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Rijacki like this.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

Sounds like you wouldn't use it. That's fine, opt out. Many would.
  13. Tachyon Augur

14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

also, reminder, "Group finder" =/= "Dungeon Finder"

stop pretending.
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

EQ2 also had a group/dungeon finder at one point. It was absolutely wonderful to have a group formed up only to have it dissolve because one of more of the matched individuals would drop the group when they saw it didn't have the exact mix they wanted. Of course they would drop right after the other group members had entered whatever the dungeon was and gotten the lock out. Or you would have that group member who would do absolutely nothing but would afk a few minutes after the group starts on whatever. These can also happen with /lfg or other methods of getting in a PUG, too (and I was reminded of that on Oakwynd while I was playing there).
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  16. Tachyon Augur

not a fan of dps police, i have kids and certain times of day bounce on and off (announced).
  17. Tachyon Augur

best bet make your own group one person at a time and be patient with everyone
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Not DPS police issue, actual AFKers. For example, a group I joined in Mistmoore on Oakwynd: After about 5 mins, the shaman (who was the only full healer and had formed the group) said they needed an AFK right as the puller was coming in with mobs. The rest of the group barely survived with hybrid healing and my enchanter mezzing. Before the next pull, I brought in my much higher level druid to sit beside the group and do out-of-group healing. After the shaman was gone about 10 mins, they came back for 1-2 pulls and then said they needed to AFK again. When they came back, they mocked the group for letting them just sponge XP 'cause they made the group specifically to be able to AFK on them (not that they had kids and needed to bounce on and off) so, after having given the shaman more than ample benefit of the doubt, the group broke up after barely surviving re-pop adds because we didn't have a healer in group.

I regularly group with a couple who are the caregivers for a parent of theirs with dementia. I know ahead of time that "mom" might need attention at a moment's notice from time to time. We work around that. But, they're also communicative at the start about if they might need to bounce. I've been in groups with others who need to be in and out that have communicated this to the group. They also return as soon as possible or communicate the need to be gone a longer time so the group can decide on continuing or not.

I also semi-regularly group with a friend who might, unintentionally, fall asleep as we reach the end of our grouping night. They don't intentionally do so, but it is nearing midnight their time when we end our session and if they've been working 12hour shifts it can happen. However, yes, that's not something I would accept in a PUG.
  19. Tachyon Augur

apologies been kicked for... you were gone 3 minutes, why is you mana bar full? i'm a different era
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Yeah, I know those ones, too. Been a long time since I dealt with them, though. But I rarely PUG now. I also hate the DPS police because they often don't see the whole picture.

In EQ2, as a coercer, I was holding down an entire room with single target mezzes because the inattentive tank kept backing into more and more. When we finally finished clearing the entire room without any deaths, he had the audacity to claim he was doing amazing tanking and then commented on my dps being low for the first 3/4 of the fight. The other group members had seen what I was doing and how he had agroed more and more with bad placement. They told him what an idiot he was being.

On Oakwynd in Kunark, as a bard I was sometimes the mezzer when no enchanter was available. I let them know up front the more mobs I was mezzing the fewer buff songs I would be able to sing. I can hold down a room with single target mezzes and do a little DPS, while making sure not to hit those that are mezzed, but my other abilities will take a hit. So much easier on my 120 bard, hit a wave to mez stuff and then go about like normal :)
    Tachyon likes this.