What's the current view on AFK playing?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kyzvs, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

Do you think autocasting spells in pok to skillup is forbidden too?
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I think it’s an edge case, depends on the GM involved. It’s like baseball with the strike zone. There’s rules but it’s still a subjective rule based on the umpire’s decision.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok same with foraging then. Its technically possible someone could be called on it, but no one actually believes they ever will.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just don't do it in PoK. Duh.
  5. GrandOpener Elder

It explicitly is. No "performing actions" while unattended. You can say "but they didn't explicitly specify that the rules also apply in non-combat zones," but that's silly. The rules as written very clearly forbid autocasting spells in pok.

They don't actually enforce that particular transgression? Sure, I'll agree with that. It's not too uncommon to walk around pok or guild lobby and find someone repeatedly casting level 1 spells or feigning death. I've never heard of someone being banned for it. But "this rule is not enforced" is different from "this is not against the rules."

Maybe their intent was that it's sort of okay, but they don't want everybody doing it, and making it technically against the rules but never enforcing it was a good way to just mildly discourage it? Or maybe they fully never intended to punish someone doing only that, but make it against the rules anyway so that they can pile on other transgressions for people who break other rules? Or maybe they fully intend to look the other way when someone does it for an afternoon, but will consider taking action on a character foraging and fishing 24/7 for days on end? Or maybe they wish they could ban all afk botting, but they have limited resources and as a matter of practicality don't spend them on investigating spellcasting in pok?

Intent is really hard to guess. I don't know why they do what they do. But it is pretty clear to me that they did intentionally make autocasting spells in pok against the rules, whatever the motivation for doing that may be. The one thing I absolutely cannot believe is that they are 100% totally okay with anybody doing that, but still felt the need to make it officially against the rules of conduct.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  6. fransisco Augur

If we are gonna go with the ultra strict interpretation, ANY parsing is afk play. Yet DB has made combat dummies for the very purpose of parsing...

Thats why you should go with common sense. Is your character "playing itself"? Are you grinding exp, camping loot, ect? Thats afk play
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would only be true if you are not at the keyboard when you are parsing and players are able to parse while at the keyboard.
    code-zero and Rijacki like this.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Yep, they are at the keyboard for those nice 8+ hour test dummy parses:rolleyes:.
    fransisco and Svann2 like this.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

Technically parsing would fall under the "no 3rd party program" rules lawyering.
    edit: oh ok afk parsing. got it :)
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, they are most likely going to be AFK for the longer parsing but the statement was any parsing which isn't true. Parsing would only be AFK play if you decide to walk away from the keyboard while it is running.
  11. fransisco Augur

Whats the point of devolving into such nit picking? No one cares who is more right. Especially in this case where its all intentionally subjective to begin with.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Walking away for a few minutes (like to run to the loo) is also not what is intended by "AKF play". Setting it up and walking away from the keyboard while you sleep, go to the store, go to work, watch a movie, or anything else where your character is operating but you're no where near the keyboard or the game screen for hours is what constitutes AFK play. The only sanctioned AFK activity in the game is a bazaar seller/broker who is set up with the specific UI that turns them into a defacto NPC.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A statement that claims all parsing is afk play is very incorrect and there isn't anything subjective about the rules that state you must be at your keyboard when doing things. The fact that they don't always enforce that rule based on the actions/location isn't relevant.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

AFK trade skilling is allowed right? Because when i have to convert 100k fish scales it takes a long long time!
    Fenthen, fransisco and Tatanka like this.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

If you are one of those that go 100% by the TOS no its not. If you go by common sense (and I think there is a dev post somewhere in the ancient archives) you arent pressing buttons while afk so its fine.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

those fish will be the death of our characters!
    Fenthen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.