Scraps of Wither and Decay

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Krylo, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Krylo New Member

The various scraps of wither and decay in Demi plane of Decay have always been somewhat of a rare drop, but over the last two days I have spent about 16 hours trying to farm a few to make armor augs. I killed hundreds and hundreds of the mobs that drop them, but not one single drop. These mobs also drop armor on occasion and RKII spells, which I have gotten plenty of (32 spell drops alone). These are also rare drops, and while not quite as rare as I remember the scrap drops to be, the fact that I have gotten that many without a single scrap drop leads to question if something is amiss.... Have any others run into this? I'm starting to believe they no longer drop at all. Thanks
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Always been this way, they are ultra rare (like chase loot rare).
    minimind likes this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What level are you? They use the trivial loot code, so if you're too high a level you'll never get a drop. They were never chase loot rare though. Just uncommon.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and menown like this.
  4. Krylo New Member

Thanks Smokezz. I’m max lvl, max exp in the new expansion. I must have graduated above the trivial loot table, which I never really knew about/thought of. Very helpful!
  5. Krylo New Member

Is there a way to determine what lvl character can still get the drops?
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Source?
    minimind and Nennius like this.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'm just going by previous posts talking about the drops, and they're ornament pieces which have always used TLC. When it was current, I had plenty of more than enough drops so they weren't super rare. Personally, I think the ornaments being trivial loot code is pretty silly.
  8. Knifen Augur

I know I was getting them up to lvl 120, havent tried at 125 yet.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

But they're not ornaments...they're tradeskill materials. I don't think there's any sort of TLC at play...just really, REALLY crappy drop rates.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Which make... ornaments LOL.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I know the trivial loot code is in place on Beryl HF but the Wither and Decay, I believe, is different.

Last year during the charity bonus time when we were getting increased chances for spawns, loots, etc I found 3 mobs that consistently dropped the pieces. Using my 120 characters up there then. It was still a rare drop but I got more last year than I had in the 5 years farming that stuff previously. I have farmed those same 3 mobs since and the drop rate is almost nonexistent.

Just like this year I was getting a ton of spider mounts dropping from a mob. It was cool but they were not tradable and you can only have so many spider mounts.

So it does show they can alter the drop rate of these items. They should have a Hero's Forge week where all the components or the actual ornament's drop rate is increased.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  12. KarmaKitty Augur

Hunted that zone a lot for those drops. Yes, ultra rare and almost never the type I want. Sell the results rather cheap given the time, but that been the safe place to skill up after leveling. Given there are four different types, it takes forever to gather enough to make a full set of augs.

Of course, you need to get the mirror (key) to zone in and then you need to read the book to make the augs. To complicate things, the lone vendor for the book is not always up. Talk about jumping through hoops.

Of course, if you have an itch to kill a merchant, this zone lets you scratch that itch. The slackers don't work a full 24 hours a day like other vendors, and they are targetable when off duty. :D
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Bernel Augur

I got one of the scraps and read the book on a lark, but I didn't seem to get all the recipes. Messages were printed that I learned all 4 types of recipes, but my sewing kit known list only shows them for Leather and Cloth. Is there something special I need to do to get the recipes for the Plate and Chain ornaments to show up in my known list? My tailoring skill was 0 when I read the book. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with those recipes not showing up.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Skill has nothing to do with it.
  15. Bernel Augur

Thanks. I wasn't thinking about that. I see the recipes in the forge.
  16. KarmaKitty Augur

Trivial is 450, so doing the combine at skill 0 is probably a non-starter. Bank it for later. They are no drop so you can't trasfer or sell it on most servers. You can always bank it and buy the pattern later when your skill is higher ;)

Hmm, with one of those salvage potions from the marketplace, whatever they are called, buying the pricy potion, and a pattern could be your path to near 300.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah, the failure rate is very high even with max skill. Very discouraging after trying so hard to get the drops. I am pretty sure dev said the potion is not a guarantee that it will be 100% so you can still fail with it.
  18. Knifen Augur

Pretty sure the scrap is returned on fail, so you can spend some plat and spam attempt making it. Unless there was a min skill lvl to attempt it.
  19. Monkeychunks Augur

I have made a few w&d but also had a failure rate that was very frustrating after spending all that time collecting them. Very much so on the robes which are 20K for the template thing. Never got the scraps returned on failure.

I don't think you could use the DoC at lower levels since you would have to have the tradeskill AA to reach the higher level needed for these.
  20. KarmaKitty Augur

I thought, the value of the potion was the 100% salvage rate on failure (you get everything back).
    This leads to:

You count on the failures and getting your components back to skill up to 250 or 300 given
    a small number of components. Key to this being very high trivial. There are trivial > 450.
    I'm sure someone out there worked out the best possible recipes for each TS ;)

You count on getting your rare costly components back when you are trying to make some
    item. Could be of you when trying to get to 350, since you need to succeed to count. It could
    help on a run of problematic items where you can only make a small number of attempts and
    the success rate is low.

Still getting enough scraps to make it viable for skill ups even with 100% salvage would be a
    significant time sink. It would work, but the has to be better alternatives. The drop rate is just
    to low.