New Computer Purchase

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Middina, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Middina New Member

Hi. I'm about to purchase a new computer. Price is not an issue. I want top of the line so it will last a while and I want to make sure it is compatible with EQ. Please let me know if there is anything I should or shouldn't but if EQ is my priority. Thank you so much
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Hobs and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id have said anything with an SSD will be fine, but hearing some of the complaints recently Id say you should get as much ram as you can - if you want to multibox.
  4. Middina New Member

I'm going to get an Alienware. I quess I'm just concerned with making sure the processor and video card will be compatible with eq. I don't box.
  5. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Sadly they’re tinkering with the UI and DX at the moment so it’s more up in the air than normal. I’ve got an RTX 3070 and have no issues.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you're not going to box, get whatever PC you want. Seriously. The weakest new PC sold today will run EQ just fine. And I don't think there are any factors at all that make high end new PCs "not compatible" with EQ.

If you play other games, let those be the deciding factor into "is the new PC good enough".

If you do want to box, get at least 32GB of ram (well, for 6 boxing). I have 16GB, and between the EQ clients, browser, spreadsheets, etc, I come AWFULLY close to maxing out the memory :O My PC is over 6 years old, will likely replace it soon, and the two top priorities I have for the new one are 32GB of RAM, and a separate SSD for EQ.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

If you're going to spend a lot of money for a PC, please don't waste it on a Dell. Alienware isn't worth the money. Origin is a much better pre-built product and is worth every penny.

EQ may run a little worse than it does now for you. This is improving over time as pieces by piece the game is being updated to 64 bit, and your hardware is actual a help. The very first thing you need to do is change the setting for Frames per Second to 30, don't leave it unlimited, your brand new computer will set on fire lol.
    Dre., Vumad, Windance and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cannikin Augur

Any piece of junk from the last 10 years will run EQ fine, even with the updated spec requirements.

I hope you're planning to do more than just play EQ with that expensive boutique system (especially something overpriced like Alienware), otherwise you're just throwing your money away.
  9. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Aye, alienwares are one of the worst brands of a computer to buy really, especially considering what their target market is. TLDR if you want to pay a TON more for substandard build quality and have the most annoying upgrade / repair / warranty experience, you definitely want alienware.

If you live near a microcenter, my recommendation would be to pop into one of their stores. They will can sell you all of your components, give you advice on what to buy, and the only markup they charge for building it is like $150.00. I'm a person who has built every computer I've had in the last 30 years. Whenever a friend asks me to build them a computer I just refer them right to MicroCenter.
    nottadev, Stymie and Windance like this.
  10. Buds Augur

You don't have to worry about specs for EQ. Like they said above, only concern is 32gb+ ram, if you want to box several accounts. The question is if you play other games, which might require a dedicated graphics card.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Stymie likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Memory is not the only concern. Resolution, desired framerate, graphics options all play a role here. The system's specs should be balanced against the desired outcome. Want to box 6 accounts at 4k resolution and maintain 60+ FPS? You'll need some higher end parts to make that a reality.
  13. uberkingkong Augur

I'd go for a $2500 range PC.

If you raid, PC helps with lag a lot of people have, if you got a good PC you wont get much lag.

Take into consider the wifi, its gotta be a really nice wifi.

Some companies they give you like 300 mbps, if you got gear, you'll go over easy.

Next you gotta consider is good internet.
    Go with the 2000 Mbps plan

smooth play, you don't want to be part of unlucky lag and what not. Thats what the difference between a good high end MMORPG player and mediocre one.

Smooth, no lag.

Go with 8k monitor too, make sure your graphic card can handle 8k. You gotta have the best vision in the game, clean and crisp.

ALSO, consider touchscreen. Those free range attacks if you got touchscreen thats really nice. You can use the movement touchscreen. Its basically having 2 mouses it can be good at times. Moving the mouse all the way to the top right then all the way to the bottom to the hotbar thats time wasted, touchscreen you got it easy. use 2 hands on the touchscreen, one hand just on the hotbar the keys unbound, and the other hand on the mob. Boom. Touchscreen is a game changer if you want to maxmize what you can do.

Ooh and not all computer VR capable either.
    You have to into consider advancement in technology.
    More hands free, more using technology to assist. Do stuff faster.
    Faster you react the more time to have to consider your next move.
    If your still moving your mouse and the thing already happen its doing the next thing, your behind in play. You gotta be ahead. React quick so you have time to think.

So you need to embrace VR, speech is a thing too, you don't move your hand waste seconds. Just say what it is, boom done. Your ahead of the fight your the one reacting in time, doing the counter, not being too slow and missing all the counters, eating everything because you can't counter.
    Cidran likes this.
  14. Windance Augur

Please do everyone a favor and skip Alienware.

They used to be fairly high end, they were bought by dell and now pretty much suck. They have some "stylish" design choices that make it hard for the components to breath.

I'm like Ravanta Suffer. I've built all my machines for home. I've used many different brands for work.

I've been steering friends/family towards Microcenter prebuilt. They use standard parts, have decent build quality.

Minimum I'd recommend that is still overkill for "just EQ"
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/668529/powerspec-g235-gaming-pc
    $930 - intel i5 12400F 2.5 Ghz + NVidia 4060 , 16 GB ram + 1 TB SSD

Very solid: https://www.microcenter.com/product/670547/powerspec-g445-gaming-pc
    $1600 - intel 12900k 3.2 Ghz + NVidia 4070 , 32 GB + 1 TB SSD
    ( only thing I don't like is the water cooling but that's a personal preference )

Beyond the $1600 point you really start hitting diminishing returns.

AMD alternatives:

Very solid machine for the price:
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/665132/powerspec-g515-gaming-pc
    $1000 - AMD 5600X3D 3.3 Ghz + Nvidia 4060, 32 GB ram + 1TB SSD

The AMD 5600X3D is a last gen part that punches above its weight class. The machine has plenty of ram and sips power compared to higher "top" end parts.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. aalith New Member

EQ runs best on a Falcon Northwest
  16. Stymie Pendragon

I agree with skipping Alienware. Their parts are mostly proprietary, which makes upgrades overpriced, if even possible. Their starting price is also out of line with the performance you actually end up receiving.

Micro Center is a great option if there’s one near you. I have a NZXT rig that I’ve been using for over 6 years now that still works great. You can go to their site and build based on your budget. You get to choose name brand hardware off the shelf, which leaves room to upgrade in the future if you want to. There’s no perfect pick, but some choices are better than others.

https://nzxt.com/category/gaming-pc...xA1scSl3n3FvqhHq5Q-Ge8ZKiaVVTk9RoCTs0QAvD_BwE
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Quality. But also massively inflated prices. $3649 for an i5-14600K, 32GB, and a 4060...

Similar part system on PCPartPicker, with Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor: $1816.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

#new #computer #purchase #new computer purchase
    Do yourself a favour and get or build a completely passive cooled one. This is already the future. No rotating CPU, graphic card, power supply, and case coolers that do cease to work after just a few years while getting louder and louder. They can even kill other components if they do fail to work. If you plan to use mechanical hard disks for storage, do also make sure to add a well vented (by airflow only !) silence case with a decoupled harddisk cage (rubber noise blockers) to prevent vibration noise.

A new office PC or low end gaming PC is possible with that for less than $/€ 800 depending on the size and amount of components and if you do build the system by yourself. Screen, keyboard, and mouse excluded. It can cost extra $/€ 200-600 if you buy a ready-made passive cooled system as those are still uncommon. For the latest 3D games that is not the ideal basis, but it will work very well for EQ and also for most five year old games and even newer ones.

Case:
    Silenced midi tower or big tower with still good cooling characteristic. Much better cooling with big cases and way more options. Avoid mini and micro towers, small form factor desktop cases, and notebooks !

Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 is a good one that would fit. Does support Micro-ATX boards, and also the older and bigger ATX boards I think. One of the rare cases that does still support 5.25" slots and even two of them. Noise-absorbent mats overall without the bottom; hard disk cages are decoupled; cable management.

Power supply / PSU:
    Seasonic Prime Fanless PX, 450 W, 80+ Platinum
    A good power supply is the basis for a stable and long-living computer system.
    Also make sure to get lightning protected power bars.

You can easily add a passive cooled graphics card, which typically consumes around 20-30W but they seem to be outdated and ineffective. A graphics card with up to 130W can be added by using the 450W PSU (power supply unit). There is also a 500W PSU variant for up to 160W. For active cooled extreme graphics cards up to 300W, the 700W TX PSU from Seasonic is required. However, an active cooled graphics card does not make much sense in a passive cooled system but it can be a compromise.

! Plan ahead if you want to add an active cooled graphics card later ! For that case better get a 500W or even 700W PSU !
    Both not needed for EQ.

CPU / GPU / APU:
    AMD Ryzen 5 8500GE (GPU+Energy saving = less heat), ~35 W TDP, with integrated graphic card (APU = GPU), ZEN 4 architecture (5 nm), Codename: Phoenix 2. Has six physical cores, 12 threads. Does only support DDR5 RAM memory !
    Not released yet, but soon. Introduction now at CES 2024, January 9th-12th in Las Vegas. Or...

Ryzen Pro 7 8700GE, better APU/GPU (780M instead of 760M) with 768 instead of 512 shaders/pipes. About 1-27% faster in benchmarks. CPU itself has 8 cores with 16 threads which results in more speed. Not needed for EQ. Will cost about 150-200 bucks more.

CPU cooler:
    Noctua NH-P1, good cooling paste, screwdriver, and everything else included.
    Does fit into the Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 case.

Mainboard:
    Something that does fit to the AMD CPU and does support DDR5 RAM memory ! Quality over price. Micro-ATX size, a newer model from Asus with PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 RAM support. At least dual (2) M.2 SSD connections, USB 3.2 Gen 2 or newer, 6 or more USB connections. With heatspreaders and japanese silver capacitors if possible. Avoid wifi support if not needed !
    Make sure that you can connect your screen to it: DVI-I / DVI-D / D-SUB (VGA) / HDMI / DP ?

Memory:
    16-32 GB DDR5 RAM. Quality and stability over overclocking speed.
    Samsung / G.Skill / Kingston. G.Skill does often use Samsung chips.

Screen:
    Small screens with lower resolutions are more efficient than big ones. They do consume less energy, do cost less money, do need less space, are less heavy and more portable, and do increase the frame rates (FPS).

With a small screen the graphics card will be also more efficient which is why for most situations a GPU/APU (onboard graphics) can be used instead an additional (external), active cooled graphics card. External, active cooled graphics cards do usually consume much energy and therefore do produce much heat and noise with additional costs like the requirement of a bigger power supply unit (PSU), up to water cooling.

The practical minimum requirement for EQ is a 19" (office) screen with a 1280x1024 pixel resolution which is a 5:4 ratio. For high compatibility, make sure that the screen has multiple connections and not only just HDMI or DP (display port). It can make sense that is has an old D-Sub or DVI connection. You should not go higher than Full HD (1920x1080).

Recommendations:

Eizo EV2460 FlexScan - 24", Full HD (1920x1080; 16:9), response time: 5ms
    Input connections: HDMI, DP, DVI-D, D-Sub
    Output connections: 4x USB Type-A, 3.5" headphones

Eizo S1934 FlexScan - 19" (1280x1024, 5:4), response time: 14ms
    Input connections: HDMI, DP, DVI-D, D-Sub,
    Output connections: 4x USB Type-A, 3.5" headphones

Both are so called office screens which is just the name of the product line for marketing reasons, but they do also perform well for gaming, and do not cost much money, while having a good quality. Eizo does also grant 5 years guarantee, always including a pick-up service ! High cash value. I do use the 19" variant since many years.

Graphics card:
    Optionally, not needed, can be added later anytime with advanced technology.
    Many of the power hungry graphics cards can be throttled in power consumption
    by software.

Up to 130W with a 450W PSU and only with this configuration environment.
    Up to 160W with a 500W PSU and only with this configuration environment.
    Up to 300W with a 700W PSU and only with this configuration environment.

SSD / Hard disk / DVD Burner / Card reader:
    • M.2 NVMe SSD, 1 TB - Speed not really important. Prefer a slower one over one that does get hot.
      Preferably Samsung, Crucial / Micron, Kingston. PCIe 4.0 is good enough; PCIe 5.0 would be much
      faster (in theory) and maybe more hot, but also much more expensive.
    • One additional mechanical hard disk with at least 2GB. Notouch Ramp Load technology to prevent head crashs.
      Avoid Seagate and others, better get Western Digital (WD).
    • Backup hard disk with at least 4GB if not already there.
    • DVD burner is optionally, very rarely needed today. Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 does have two 5.25" slots for them.
    • Card reader for micro SD cards and similar. Externally via USB cable or internally, installed into a 5.25" case slot.

Keyboard:
    PERIBOARD-517 W
    Using that since 4 years without any problems. It is water resistant but not 100% waterproof !
    It is loud but robust and heavy, and does feel and look nearly like a retro keyboard.
    Long key travel.
    Function key combos (FN) for things like keylock, mute and calculator.

Amazon - QWERTY
    Amazon germany - QWERTZ

Mouse:
    Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse (NGX-00002)
    A revamped reproduction of the robust classic IntelliMouse from the 90s that many
    players used for thousands of hours in EQ and 3D shooters.
    Fully adjustable LED light and new high end sensor.
    Good for big hands; can be problematic for small hands.

Review
    Cidran likes this.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

I run EQ on a 2015 macbook pro bootcamped to windows. I can 4-box on it but it runs hot. It runs a single account fine, but can get a little laggy on raids.

On my 5yo desktop, I 4-box, but have up to 8 accounts running at once (FTP SHM, BST, etc in GH I TB Buffs with). Intel 8700k (not overclocked, 32gb ram, HDD+optane (not SSD), GTX 1060. I have no hardware related lag.

A $1000 desktop will crush a single instance of EQ. I can't imagine how many instances of EQ you would have to run on a $2500 desktop to have any hardware related problems.

I saw a desktop with a 12900k, 3070, SSD, 32GB for $1200. If the only thing you are doing is EQ, you are buying way more than you could need.

Also note that EQ is processor dependent, not GPU dependent like newer games. Go heavy on CPU, RAM and NVME SSD. You just need a basic graphics card to get the video heat off the CPU. The GPU and RAM is the easiest parts to upgrade in a PC. Get a great MOBO, CPU and NVME SSD. A 1060 GPU would be just fine.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

$1000 in 2018. Absolutely no problems with multiboxing EQ.

ABS Precision Liquid Cooled (240 mm) Gaming Desktop PC Intel Core i7-8700K (3.70 GHz) 6-Core 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz 1 TB HDD ...
    • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    • CPU Type: Intel Core i7 8th Gen
    • CPU Speed: 8700K (3.70GHz)
    • GPU/VGA Type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    • Memory Capacity: 8GB DDR4
    • SSD: No
    • HDD: 1TB
    I did upgrade to 32GB of RAM, but that was for Fusion 360. Note it has Optane but that only helps with load speeds

Note: I have a macbook because the HP Omen laptop I purchased was junk and I returned it immediately.