EQ raids are digustingly easy

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jan 5, 2024.

1. jiri_ Augur

This. I know DPG needs to use players as beta testers, including on raids, but half of the really hard raids were hard because they were bugged or overtuned anyway. And since everyone knows the mechanics cold on Day 1....

Edit: Also, while not casting any aspersions at players' experience and know-how, there's also a lot more support. EQ did not have GINA back in the day. You had to manually time Death Touches to control your tank rotation. Hell, for a long time you didn't have multiple chat windows for there to be emotes in! You also didn't have Discord, and 1999 internet connections didn't always play nicely with voice chat programs. Raid communication had to be done via chatting in-game. There were no extended target windows or ways to mark targets. And activating a discipline didn't give you a nice built-in timer.

Today, a raider should be getting audio notifications when an emote fires. They're on voice chat with officers and raid leaders issuing instructions and keeping things organized. They have chat filters with multiple windows and channels to minimize spam and distractions. Log-based parsers help keep track of spell counts and orders and promote convergence towards the best DPS rotations.

Think back to an easy raid in Luclin, like Shei Vinitras. You have to keep track of a DT timer, keep adds mezzed, and swap all raid DPS onto additional adds as they spawn. You had to do that without voice chat, without a built-in DT timer, without a convenient visual indicator of who the main assist was targeting, and without extended targets to keep track of tank/offtank HP. Even without player power inflation, it's completely trivial on TLPs because organizing it is super simple.
    fransisco, Rijacki and Ozon like this.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I agree. I think you should be the one to lead the boycott against DPG, until EQ is fixed to an acceptable standard. Be the leader, we need and boycott the game and forums.
    fransisco and Roxas MM like this.
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Just get rid of raiding i wont be sad ;)
    Flatchy likes this.
  4. tanknit Journeyman

raids are way too easy there are no mechanics that can kill ..... just a big hp pool you can do the entire event with only 4 tanks because the first two laurion song raids had a total of 6 adds...... for brand newt1 LS raids i only got two tank 1 add in each raid and 12/16 of the tanks in my guild tanked nothing just watched everyone else tank..BORING! and the mechanics dont matter you can stand in everything and never die.....sure eq is about socializing but when you beat every raid achievements and all in 3 months into the expansion for 9 months your raids will have less people in them socializing because its not fun anymore youve beaten it now you can afk from eq because you have beaten everything which means half the players wont be in the game which makes the remaining players lonely which makes some of them quit and then after 9 months some of the bad who got geared and ran aspects of the guild raids forget to come back becasue they have not had a reason to play in 9 months so the never log back in hence bad easy raids are causing the death of eq so make them better please
    uberkingkong likes this.
  5. uberkingkong Augur

Well said, thats how I feel about them too.
    Also, people are comparing 2002 EQ raids to current EQ raids.

EQ isn't competing with 2002, its competing against modern day MMORPGs, and how they do raids, aka 60+ people events.
    Thats why on my OP, you see youtube video, people wiping on massive scale fight.
    3 different ways to get 1 shot, lots of mechanics, not just 2 or 3, lots.
    Move around, glide around, jump around, dodge around, CC, breakbar, and objectives while you do it.
    1. EQ doesn't have dodge
    2. EQ doesn't have glide
    3. EQ doesn't have breakbar
    4. EQ doesn't have visuals like a tidal wave or fireball

Modern day MMORPGs raids are very complex (not too tough either but its not basic and boring).
    EQ raids today, basic. All of it beaten day 1.
    EQ raids are just so basic, its been basic for a long time, its disgusting.

If all the raids were open right now, they'd all get beaten day 1.
    It's like they cannot produce tough enough raids they have to force a set date to unlock them.

More raids? They are ready to play, but you must wait a couple months to do it.
  6. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Those of us who have a life away from EQ are thankful that we can win a new raid without sacrificing a lot of time away from our life on the other side of the monitor. There isn't much you can do with a 25 year old game that runs on scripts (which enables all these 3rd party programs btw) without creating life sucking time sinks.

I agree - make the next few raids a bit more challenging but be careful what you ask for .. for the sake of wife aggro .. etc.
    Toukan likes this.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

Raids that are super easy and 2 measly group missions that are NOT easy.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

How quick some forget.

Bunnies in Mischief can easily wipe a raid, but those who did beta know this and know how to handle them. Just because you are in a guild who had the pleasure of raiding beta and learning strats doesn't mean every guild did. While some guilds get strats from others who did beta, not all do

These are T1 raids, these should be the easiest of the bunch. I quite like that they are simple if you deal with all the mechanics. It wasn't long ago there was a discussion of raids being tuned for less than 54 but still allowing 54 in so smaller guilds could still do some raids. I'm happy to see there is something for them. Found both the T1 raids fun, I even had to clap! :)

Hopefully T2 & T3 will get progressivly harder. Not looking forward to Unkempt Woods, but that is down to moving the whole raid, not the raid itself. Hero's Forge I want to hide from, don't even want to think about it, there has been complaints about the mission and I don't invisage the raid having a fan club either.
    fransisco likes this.
  9. MustardonWatermelon Elder

The only server that has any difficulty is Vaniki.
  10. Ythera Augur

I like when the raids are easier because that means that every guild can enjoy them. I also enjoy the fact that the raids don't take a prolonged period of time to defeat. 5-10 minutes is the sweet spot. Any guild that desires a higher level of difficulty can just organize some split raids, get more loot, and have their more difficult fight.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

this, 5-10 min raids.
    true, NoS ended with raiders and their boxes full highest tier raid gear.

this, NoS T2 & T3, beaten day 1 just as quick as T1 raids, by 10+ guilds, pretty much everyone that wants to beat everything, beat everything. All raids day 1. Not just 1 raid, ALL raids.

This, GROUP game, = difficulty
    RAID game, = 5-10 min disgustingly easy

Been saying that for past 3 years.
    this, if they been pushing the limits of what they do raids, and this is the end product.
    Time for EQ3, because this game is already pushed to its limits. Been pushed to its limits for long time.

Overdue for EQ3, like EQ3 should have happened around 2019.
    EQ raids early game, pretty decent, but recent raids, NoS to LS? Disgustingly easy.
  12. Zarkdon Augur

It surprises me that easy raids bother you, since you constantly cry about needing events everyone can do. Would you have been happy if the raids were the same, but we were required to shroud for them?
    Roxas MM, Yinla and Ozon like this.
  13. uberkingkong Augur

Let me quote I what I said,

I've had that stance for a long time and haven't changed.
    Current state of EQ,
    Group (in particular missions) = difficult
    Raids = disgustingly easy
  14. Cadira Augur

I just raid for two reasons:

To talk and hang with my friends.
    To parse.
  15. Tolzol Augur

While I agree raids are too easy, event length has literally nothing to do with difficulty lol. We have had 30 minute snoozefest events in the past where the hardest thing about them was staying awake for it. T1 raids should be easy though, t2 a lil more difficult, and t3 being the hardest, ideally the final event being very difficult at least at first. This expansion loosely follows the first part in that the difficulty sorta climbs based on the tiers. But there, at least on beta, was no event that was difficult. At a minimum they could sneak things into events after beta before raid launches that doesn’t necessarily increase the difficulty once you figure out how to deal with it like Prathun had done in the past a couple times when he was on the team, but i doubt we will ever see something like that again.
  16. Razorfall Augur

I don't remember you posting in Beta about raids being too easy.
    Roxas MM and Rijacki like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this thread was started before raids unlocked which begs the question how much they know about the raids before posting this.
    Rijacki and fransisco like this.
  18. uberkingkong Augur

Hrmm I wonder how much.
    Lets see are the actually easy?
    Lets look.
    https://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/index.php?expansion=LS1
    27 guilds beaten ALL T1 raids day 1.

Digustingly easy.
    I'm a hardcore raider, theres is no hardcore raids, they all disgustingly easy. 27 guilds. BOOM day 1.
    Not just 1 raid, ALL raids. day 1.

No challenge.

Those guilds day 2, probably not sweaty like everyone else. Eh, who cares, we'll be full highest tier raid geared and our boxes too in no time, no rush.

These raids too easy, nothing special anymore, its just tedious task now. Show up every tuesday and do it, no sweat, no challenge, just show up. Boxes they'll be full geared too in highest tier raid.

Everyone who wants to beat them, no sweat. Day 1.

Modern MMORPGs,

no one beat that day 1.
    They didn't want people to beat it day 1.
    You gotta earn it.

BIG FAT turtle showing everyone they did it. Everyone knows its tough because its a meta event anyone can try, theres no having form up a super strong squad of 50+. Even the formed squads failed.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why didn't you post any of your concerns that raids are too easy on the beta boards?
    Roxas MM and Rijacki like this.
  20. Zarkdon Augur

He was too busy trying to convince the developers that they need to make Shrouds part of EQ again.
    Rijacki likes this.