Custom GM Title Deleted on Surname Update. =( Pretty upset.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Necropants, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Necropants New Member

Hey everyone. Returning player here.

Years ago I was pretty hardcore in EQ and recently since no other MMO has ever really compared to me since. I logged back in to revisit the character I had so many good memories of and .. perhaps stay for good.

I would say likely around EQ's player peak, I won a PVP event at Lake Rathe Area which was a free for all fight in the Area featuring dozens of players, last man standing. At the end My Dark Elf Shadowknight was the last Woman standing and the GM team had me fight an NPC champion which I beat and was awarded the title "The Defender of the Ages". which was announced to the entire server. That whole event is a story all in itself and one of my most treasured memories in gaming. (I do at least have screenshot evidence of the title.)

I found this title was still intact until I made the now I understand stupid decision to update my surname, and it deleted my title which I did not realize at the time obviously was put in my surname slot, or something system related has changed here since.

Obviously I immediately put in a support request and was informed by the representative that they no longer have the powers to make changes or bestow custom titles. which is disappointing in itself let alone ones ALREADY GIVEN. I assume given this knowledge this is something that doesn't come up often these days.

This has pretty much soured my desire to stick around much further to be honest, it actually bothers me more than I thought it would, and just thought I would put this post up in case someone on the Dev team sees this and can get the issue rectified to which I would be eternally grateful, and consider changing the status of the teams powers here going forward.

Thanks.
    Cidran likes this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

3. Soulbanshee Augur

Unless the title is in the DB, what they did was force an update to your character display, nothing was ever "given" so it's not available as an option. Maybe try PMing Angeliana, not exactly sure they can help, but this might just be a hard lesson learned.
  4. Vitaez Journeyman

Faydra? (Sp) on the Stromm server?
  5. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I concur with Yinla on checking the Guide forums and Soulbanshee on contacting Angeliana.

I made the same mistake. I deleted my custom title I won from the Festival of Might with the /surname command. I was fortunate enough to contact a Guide (at a guide event) who forwarded my request to a GM. After a few weeks, the GM was able to re-grant the title. You will likely need a GM but I may have had a different verification process as my title was obtained by a more recent event. Perhaps, you or a friend has a screenshot of your character with the title to streamline the process.

Goodluck!
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is what I was told recently. After winning a custom title in the Festival of Might I asked the guide if I could change it around and they said no, once I drop it then its gone and they had no way to replace it.

I do believe guides and gm's have had their powers restricted due to past favoritism shown in the game.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

GM/guide "titles" like this weren't really "titles" as in shift+t choose your title.

They are custom surnames, hence why changing their surname removed it.

Generally speaking if a player wins an event where they get a custom surname a note should be put on their account so it can be restored if lost. Contacting the guides is the best way, but it isn't a guarantee.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Vumad and Fanra like this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

/surname Thedefenderoftheages
    WorldsNotGames likes this.
  9. Cidran Augur

That was hard to predict and also very unfortunate. I'm sorry about it, I really hope someone will be able to help you recover your rightfully earned title. Best of luck, keep us updated.
    Svann2 likes this.
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

When I contacted customer service, their only advice was to contact a head guide on the server to get the title back. I had to do this when I changed servers and somehow lost my title. I changed servers again and lost it, but because I had to change my name on server xfer, they wouldn't give it back to me because they couldn't verify that I was who I said I was. It made me a sad dwarf.