Warrior Hp/AC vs Sk/pally

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Asiema, Jul 12, 2017.

1. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

People must be bored at home for the holidays if they are replying to a post made nearly 7 years ago. How many pages deep did you have to go to find this thread? My God.
  2. Tyranthraxus Grognard

3. CdeezNotes Augur

Not me! I just realized I replied to the necromancer. Dear Rallos this is an old thread.
  4. Slaps Journeyman

While I do agree to an extent, I think you are also wrong in some regard.
    SK / Pally are equally equipped to handle multiple mobs and raid targets.

As a Pally I have several abilities that allow me maintain high agro on several mobs at once, none are AE based but Flash of light being 3s recast and very low mana makes it an essential item in the Pally arsenal.
    Once you get into Luclin is where they really start to shine though.
    Divine Stun , Fear immunity ( 100% ), Group heals, AAs, Slay Undead being key components.

If we are talking about Agro ?
    Pally will destroy any tank hands down to continually hold agro on a raid boss, FoL + 3-4 stun spells + Divine stun makes it near impossible to rip agro unless you are taunting it to take it from him.
    SK is a close 2nd and is highly sought after for the DPS they can sustain as a tank ( when played correctly )

Rather curious why this person was digging so deep into the threads from years past though ?
    Makes me go hmmm
  5. CdeezNotes Augur

You can think what you want, but SKs (and even wars later in game) are demonstrably better at AE aggro than paladins. I'm not talking about just the first 5% of the game. The entire SK arsenal is packed with AE abilities. It's not even close. It's like comparing a Honda Accord to a Land Rover in its off-roading ability.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

You are mathematically incorrect.
  7. Bewts Augur

TLDR: If there are 20 potential damage outcomes, warriors are only subject to the first 19. All others are subject to all 20.

That, combined with a defensive discipline makes a warrior superior in ability to take damage in almost all raid scenarios that require a tank to take damage.

In the pre 60 era of tanking levels (non-raid), as long as you’re in-era and geared for that level - there will be almost zero measurable difference in damage taken between the warrior and the other plate hybrids. In fact, for a lot of grouping content it’s almost better to have a hybrid because of their superior aggro management abilities because they make up almost any measurable difference in tanking ability using a shield without sacrificing aggro generation ability that a warrior would by using a shield.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

TLDR Knights can get down to 19.2 out of 20 with Knight's Sedulity AA.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

For a TLP, the above is your answer for raiding and this is what really counts.

That's not saying Paladins, Shadow Knights, or Rangers can't tank bosses, but they are more prone to get flattened by an unlucky damage round(s). Most importantly, Warriors have a plethora of abilities to mitigate, reduce, and completely negate attacks on demand and these abilities do set them apart.

As for grouping? Who cares? They all can tank what is otherwise trivial encounters when equipped with raid level items. Just keep in mind that just about every class can tank up until Underfoot. I will add that Warriors will struggle with AE tanking until they get their 'blade' line, but even that isn't an issue if you have an Enchanter or Bard.

P.S. - In group content from classic until about GoD, if you have an Enchanter in the group and they have a pet, it will be doing the tanking anyway.
  10. Intercept Augur

Paladins are literally the only tank that can hold off a good dps going full tilt, SK has some snap, but Paladins have the ability to hold agro that no other tank really comes close to
  11. CdeezNotes Augur

What eras? If a warrior is struggling with aggro, I'll be nice and say HOT and beyond, your warriors are dogwater.

A warrior dropping Undivided rage projection blast alone (I won't list everything) will hold off every dps going full tilt besides maybe an SK.
    Kutsuu likes this.
  12. Xhartor Augur

Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\Resources\ACMitigation.txt

This file will show the SC softcap by level along with the % of return when over the cap.

1^50^410^0.35^ = Warrior^Level:50^Softcap:410^overcapreturn:0.35
    5^50^392^0.33^ = SHD^Level:50^Softcap:992^overcapreturn:0.33
    Paladin will match the SK.

In Classic SK and Paladin have the advantage of being able to use a shield and hold aggro. Defensive is a huge durability boost for Warriors while it's running. PoP and later SK and Paladin can use AA's for Glyph, which would them to tank a mob that normally requires defensive.

As for aggro on a single mob: HT generates an insane amount of threat, the threat generated is on par with the unnerfed damage it would do on a live server at that level. In PoP Asystole + Clinging Darkness will make it nearly impossible to pull mobs off the SK. The SK also don't have pushing issue paladins can have with stuns.
    Prior to OoW Paladin group heals is going be the AE aggro for any of the tank classes.

Warrior aggro holds DPS back in the early expansions. If your warriors are doing a good job at hold aggro, your DPS isn't trying. Warrior aggro does improve over time, however it isn't until Warlords Fury in HoT and Phalanx of Fury in VoA when it really to take off. Last Stand disciple(defensive upgrade in CotF is also threat monster).

In OoW SK's hit a massive power curve. 2.0, Dread Gaze(AE threat), Anguish BP and the upgrade to terror spell line. Decrept Skin in PoR and Mortal Coil in TSS are a massive swing SK's favor over the other tanks. As the game goes on player damage scales up at faster pace then NPC damage, so 2.0/Mortal Coil become stronger.
  13. FranktheBank Augur

SKs have the most snap. Terrors are better threat than stuns.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

How does it feel to be so wrong people feel bad for you? Just curious. That is some dumb commentary right there.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

It's amazing how this game is 25 years old and people are still living in 1999 and having no idea of basic mechanics. The amount of wrong I see posted on forums or said about tanking/aggro is absurd.
  16. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Hey at least we can all agree that H-Cha is the only heroic that matters for tanking!