Personas and DKP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Innate, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Innate Elder

Is everyone just going to tie DKP to the player and let them spend it however they choose? Or are you guys restricting bids to currently useable?
  2. Herf Augur

It's unclear so far. One concern is people looting for toons they never bring on raids except to loot, detracting from loot available to those who bring mains or alts.
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I've seen a few people talk about this, and generally speaking most guilds would just treat them as alts. And most guilds have a bidding policy that ensures that people have access to gearing alts, but definitely prioritizes gear to go to main characters.

I play on Mischief, but overwhelmingly the response has been that people will absolutely not touch personas at this point. While the basic functionality works, there are just simply too many issues and risk for people to justify it on their mains. I would assume that feeling might be even more prominent on a live guild.
  4. Grimblekin Journeyman

We've talked about it some. I think the general consensus is that we are likely going to allow one secondary persona with a similar bidding structure to mains, as long as the persona is a high need class (healer, etc).

I think i'm the only person in my guild doing persona's in my guild so far....on the bright side I've only had a few items disappear.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

That sounds fair, maybe some more people will be willing to be a cleric, if they can get some rewards for their preferred class.
  6. coltongrundy Augur

Why would a dkp guild treat personas any differently than they would treat alts?
  7. Micker99 Augur

I think you should get to bid on whatever you want. DKP is like money, you earn it and can spend it on what you want. If you want to spend it on your Mage, instead of SK, then you earned it, why not? In today's games, Mains are just a toon you play more often.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They likely will treat it the same but it is harder to determine if an item looted on a main will be used by a main or just a persona.

Mains are generally the ones doing the work to get the items and it is better to gear them up over characters that are not doing that and will be played less often.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Aiona and Appren like this.
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I think this depends. The point of gaining raid gear with a guild is to advance the raid as a whole so that you can more easily and effectively complete content. If you are looting something on a persona, but you don't play that persona in raids, then that item is effectively going to waste. You have your own time to gear toons that are not going to be used in raids.

Now if you sometimes are required to tank on your SK in raids, then I am all for being able to bid on gear for your SK persona. However, if the only toon you play on raids is your Mage, the only gear you should be bidding on in raids should be for your mage.

If a piece of loot is going to rot, then it really doesn't matter where it goes so long as it gets used.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Please provide the guild name that allows you to buy dkp with money, so we can all laugh at them.

And no, I am not talking about gdkp guilds.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Because the guild needs to be effective as a raid force. Also to clarify your definition of the main being the toon you play most often, that depends on the guild. The raiding main is the character you apply to the guild on. You could only play it the bare minimum, but it is declared to the guild that the toon is the character which is to be played and geared as part of the raid force.

This is easily managed by a raiding main vs rot round in bidding. The raiding mains bid against each other first. This ensures the entire raid force is geared for the next expansion. Then once the raid force is geared, items in the rot round can go to any AP or Alt you want. It's your DKP, spend it how you please. You can even go as far as to not spend a single DKP on your raiding main if you so choose, nothing mandates that you gear your raiding main, but you wont get your alt loot until the raid force is geared. Though, it is worth noting that a sandbagging main may be removed from raiding status, so if you're going to pull a stunt like that, you probably want to be a very good cleric.

I myself wait until the end of the expansion cycle and spend the bare minimum DKP and maximum currency on my raiding main armor, maximizing the DKP I can use on alts and boxes. However, I always ensure that my raiding main is properly geared for the next expansion. I don't believe myself to be a gear dependent class so this works out well for me.
  12. Micker99 Augur

I said it was LIKE money lol. Meaning you work and earn it and it's yours to spend how you want. I agree that you should put DKP into the toon that you mainly raid with, but if you use your alt to help the raid sometimes also, I see no issue with that.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  13. Bewts Augur

We have an alt bid tier. Bidding for a persona is an Alt bid.

Fiyar the Ranger (Main) bids with mains.
    Fiyar the Warrior (Persona) bids with Alts.

If Fiyar formally main changes to Warrior, then this swaps:
    Fiyar the Warrior (Main) bids with mains.
    Fiyar the Ranger (Persona) bids with Alts.

We have a DKP penalty for main changes, so there’s something to deter folks from swapping mains frequently.

There’s also a standing rule of “Don’t be an ” - and we’re a small population server / guild so there’s even more incentive to not be a loot goblin.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Herf and Yinla like this.
  14. jeskola pheerie

How are gdkp guilds any different tho. Let's laugh at them too.
  15. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

The main difference I see here is that with an alt, they can contribute to the raid at the same time as the main. So loot going to them makes sense. The persona can only be at the raid if the main is not. Maybe its just me, but when I raid I like to see all the gear (or at least 95% of it) going to characters that will be contributing on raids. If not then I feel like I am crowdfunding your freetime hours of farming krono.

Do you at least require those people bidding on items for their persona to make that persona contribute?
  16. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Because all of the plat that gets paid out in gdkp guilds is sourced from the people that buy the items. It is not a standard figure that is awarded from the guild like DKP is.
  17. jeskola pheerie

I guess if you pretend the buyers didn't originally seed themselves with plat acquired via Krono/rmt
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

I agree with you about contributing. I have in years past had to box my cleric at raids.

However, Alts can not be played in the raid with the main. I believe you mean box.

Alt = alternate character on the same account
    Persona = Alternate character on the same character
    Box = character on another account
    code-zero likes this.
  19. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

No, I understand, and what I meant was that loot should go to a characters persona if that person is able to contribute sometimes. I'll give you an example:

Billy plays a Mage. He likes doing DPS. He made a persona that is a Cleric. Sometimes when the raid is short on healers, Billy will play his Cleric persona to help the raid.

I am ok with Billy bidding on mage gear for his main, as a main, and Im ok with him bidding on cleric gear as an alt.

What I wouldn't be ok with would be if Billy had a Wizard persona that he never used on raids but he was bidding on loot for it.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You might be okay with it but others who play a high in demand class on raids 100% of the time might not be okay with it.