Collection Selling and Avoiding Ignore

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bilbo Backpackens, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

If you're on live and don't immediately leave general chat, you probably know about the person that uses cross server chat to sell collection sets. They use different character names (but all with the same beginning pattern) on different servers to send these out. The only reason I can think of for this would be to get around people's ignore lists. I try to think of it as a fun game of whack a mole, but sometimes it makes me wonder what the point is. If I've ignored one of your characters, why would I suddenly change my mind and want to buy from another spamming the same message?

I tried to ask once, but they didn't respond to me. So if you're that person, I'm genuinely curious for your perspective. Or if you're not that person, I'd like to hear what you think about it.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Why do you get spam emails even if you never respond to any?
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

On any particular day perhaps some returning player logs on and wants to catch up in the game. Best I can come up with. He obviously makes enough money out of it to keep doing it.

I think the spam comes up too often but other then that its bleh to me. Not crazy about it but not the end of the world either. Now if it turned out to be a scam it would piss me off.... I hate scammers but if they are living up to their sales pitch I would just ask for it to be less frequent.

Maybe if these folks were all pushed by DB onto the /auction channel but I think that ship sailed long ago. At this point I just roll with it.
    Bilbo Backpackens likes this.
  4. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

The difference there is that they try different methods with spam emails- discount/free goods, inheritances, threats, etc. They hope one of those works.

Here, it's the same message every time for the same thing.
  5. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

A returning player that blocked him pre-break, and now wants to buy? That could be it. Better than anything I came up with.
    Yeah, it's not particularly annoying. Not like I'm getting trained while killing a named or something.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I stopped joining general chat years ago. The game is much more peaceful without it.
  7. code-zero Augur

It always baffles me when someone comes up with their own server population count based on /general chat. I've not joined a general channel since 2000 and none of my friends do either
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  8. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

I only join general chat when I need to sell something more valuable than the 2m bazaar limit, or if there's some juicy drama going on that I was notified about!
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Maybe that's where ChatGPT got it's numbers!
    Nennius and code-zero like this.
  10. fransisco Augur

I loath these people. They go on to say "you're supporting our guild!". That whole bot guild of 1 person.
    Honestly, cross server only exists for botting and spamming. Can we shut it down? The game would be a better place.

The chat channels used to be interesting, but now they are just cross server r.m.t. crap