Best server for a new player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Beerbatterd, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Beerbatterd New Member

Looking for a server/home. Just not sure what the best server would be t9 find groups. I remember old EQ you had to have a group for gr8nding, but now not so sure. With mercenaries, are they even worth it? There's a lot to relearn and even more to learn coming back after 10+ years of not playing. I just want to find a home a play with real people amd not bots. I mean that is the point of an MMO correct?

Any ways looking for a home...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

If I was still playing I would embrace the necessity to box but leverage it to interact socially by choosing classes that cover "needed group functions" and then invite other real players for DPS, CC, utility, and other roles as needed.
  3. Alnitak Augur

Start on Bristlebane server. Make a character and start in Gloomingdeep Mines (intro learning zone). Do the offered quests, including hiring a mercenary. By the time you've done many quests in there and level up to 10'ish you'll have many questions answered by the game itself.

Monsters are tuned for a group of 3 players in-era. Of course, many just single those, and many have full group and plow through mobs as fast as they respawn. Don't worry about that yet, just make a new toon and start playing.
    Dre., Cazmac and KarmaKitty like this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Beerbatterd likes this.
  5. Cazmac Augur

I strongly support the advice to start in Mines of Gloomingdeep; it's a really good way to get used to a new character or class. You can, if you're lucky, end up with a full set of very basic armour from quests and looting by the time you leave at 10 or more. If you leave at that level, you can't go back, so remember that and do all the quests you can. Last time I was there (this week), they'd got mean with the Backpacks that you can loot from the barrels. Don't forget to use the Tradeskills feller to make a big stack of Rat Steaks!
    Beerbatterd and Rijacki like this.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

To narrow things down on Iven's post, Bertox and FV are probably the highest population Live servers. If you want to do a TLP, Mischief is still going strong. Oakwynd was going strong until the dupeflation event and the lukewarm response by DayPaw. Being in the middle of the holiday season isn't helping. PoP is right around the corner, and we're hoping the population rebounds due to temporary breaks. Probably the best suggestion that can be made, go to the Guild Recruitment subforum and post there, or just lurk and check out what guilds are active on the various servers. Reach out and see if there is a fit before committing.
    Beerbatterd likes this.
  7. Beerbatterd New Member

I only have a laptop so unless I use a program that's against ToS Boxing isn't an option. I just want to find a strong server where I could find groups easy without wasting Plat working with mercs.

Currently have an SK in the Mines on Bristlebane. (Iksar SK named Lhisp lev 10) Going to stay until I finish the quests there. Thanks for the advice. Now off to find a guild and begin making friends

Thanks for the advice.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Many people use ISB. It's openly talked about here on the forums, and somewhere there was a dev post saying it was basically OK. The dev for ISB even worked openly with EQ when the truebox server came out, so that ISB would not work on those servers. Most modern laptops should certainly be able to run ISB and 2-3 instances of EQ.

Now, there is another program (that which must not be named). THAT ONE very well might get you banned, because it supports (pretty much requires, really) automated game play.
    Beerbatterd likes this.
  9. Beerbatterd New Member

What is ISB?
  10. code-zero Augur

IS Boxer
    Beerbatterd likes this.
  11. Beerbatterd New Member

Thanks just googled it!
    I'm more then certain my laptop can handle ISB now that I researched it. Laptop is a Ryzen 9 7940HS, 32 gigs of ram and a RTX 4070. Might have some frame rate loss...but I'm sure it will barely be noticeable. Now I'm off to ponder what my duo should be. SK/Cleric maybe...but I do love druid DS's
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I have basically the same setup, though you have double the RAM I do, and I have a 4080. I triple box on max settings with zero performance hit. The internal fan doesn't even kick on. With or without ISB, you'll have no problem running 2-3 instances of the game. Probably more.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Glad you might benefit from this :)

I three box Druid/SK/Mage. I think if you won't be pushing your duo to the bleeding-edge limits, game-wise, you'll be happier with SK/Druid. More DPS than the cleric, plus, as you say, DSs, but also ports and evac, for when things do go wrong.

At any rate, have fun, and if you happen to wind up on Tunare (unlikely, though, it's the opposite of what you said you're looking for), send me an in-game email, and I can help you get started :)