Please, /hidecritters ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mikana, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Mikana Augur

Graphic Lag in Laurions Inn is bad, even with only 50 players in the zone.

I'm wondering if the presence of all the level 5 'critter' type mobs isn't helping matters.

Would it be possible to have some option to be able to hide them, to cut down on graphics rendering and network traffic?
  2. Cicelee Augur

What is the point of them? Is it for a merc task or something? New slayer?
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

One thing that may help is /hidecorpse all because corpses (and players and mobs) seem to cause lag even if you can't see them, if you are facing in their direction.

It's something (EQ drawing/loading things you can't see, i.e. too far away, behind hills, or behind walls) that I would report to be fixed but since DirectX 11 is due, I don't see the point in them working on DirectX 9 issues now. Hopefully, DirectX 11 won't have this issue. Not drawing/loading things hidden from your view is a basic graphics function that all games should be doing.
    minimind likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

No. Why?

Graphics framerate issues can be addressed by any of the usual items. Fanra has a great guide here. I can happily report that Laurion's Song graphics are the best so far in EQ. You'll need to address this by adjusting your settings, your expectations, or upgrading your hardware.
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

I wouldn't expect any of that to have as much of an impact as you are thinking, and there's a core issue with server/client to stop sending traffic for something the client has to interact with in the zone.

Since the same was happening on beta under DX11, unless they completely rewrote the EQ graphics engine from the ground up as native DX11 (which isn't whats happening) instead of DX9 compiled with DX11.
  6. Mikana Augur

Running an Intel i5-12400 with 32GB, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - my system spec isn't the problem.
    I have Hero's Forge disabled, shadows off, flora off, other's spell effects off, etc, etc, etc.
    Most telling, I can happily run four instances of EQ in any previous expansion with no problems. Zone into Laurion Inn, and it becomes a hideous lagfest.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I haven't experienced the issue you mention and I have everything maxed and enabled. Just trying to help.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ok, I've discovered that I'm talking about Hidden-surface determination. This is where you don't render things the viewpoint cannot see. While it is a basic graphics concept, programming it can be quite difficult (according to my five minute web search:)).

I'm assuming that players, mobs, and corpses are considered "surface" for this concept, even though players and mobs move.
  9. Zarkdon Augur

There are a couple partisans that utilize them, but I think the primary reason is to just make the zones seem more alive.
  10. Riou EQResource

It's a problem in Laurion's Inn where the game renders like everything inside the walls of the inn
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

But not in LI...the "critters" are just scenery for that zone.
  12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You're in every post like this and you really need to just stop. Adding check box filters is a completely acceptable ask. Every game worth it's salt has these implemented. BG3 has check box settings-poolza and it's about to win more awards than any other game in history. People that play EQ are old. They also have old hardware, we can play EQ on a toaster. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you like the guy at Darkpaw that just doesn't want to do the work or something?
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Adjust your expectations.
    Kydat likes this.
  14. Zarkdon Augur

Ah, in my haste I thought they were asking about the expansion not the zone.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Adjust your expectations.
  16. Micker99 Augur

I think the critters are pretty cool. Adds a lot to the feel of the zone. The lag is probably from the million people in the zone, all yelling at each other for stealing mobs lol. /Pick anyone??
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I play the game just fine.