Questions on Mages/Pet Toys

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Hexsim, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Hexsim New Member

Simple but probably stupid questions lol..

1 Do both types of Mage damage shields stack? Like they have the ones that are extremely high damage with like a 12 second duration, then low damage ones with a 15 minute duration. Do those two types of DS stack?

2 Can any level pet, like a level 5 pet for example, use a pet weapon of reasonably high damage that has no level req? It just won't be able to use the proc is all til that level, right? Such as Blade of Walnan or Elemental Satchel stuff?

3 Is there any way to see what a pet has equipped? Would be extremely handy info..

4 Last and most importantly.. can any low level caster use the items in the jewelry bag and be able to fully use the effects from items like the "Gallenite's Sapphire Bracelet" with it's 20% extra damage from spells up to level 65? Or "Jolum's Glowing Bauble" for reduced mana up to level 65?

Is there seriously no minimum level for these at all??

Thanks in advance! (may come back to this thread for more questions later lmao)
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

1. Yes. The short term DS slots to secondary DS like ranger DS. Duration mods and AAs will mod the static buff, not the secondary short term. 15 minutes graduates to 30 minutes or more with better gear mods.
    2. Pets ignore level, race and class restrictions. Ratio and Damage are unaffected. You can give level 5 pets level 85 summons, but they will not proc. Hand of Ixiblat will give better dps, though they are lower damage due to successful procs. (and hold aggro better)
    3. Nope. They DO summon with armor equipped now, you CAN give armor with higher AC value and pet will accept it. Gear with lower than current AC value will be refused by the pet. Weapons are never default summoned.
    4. The summoned focus jewelry is scaled. Yes you can equip the level 65+ ones at level 1, but the lower level ones will actually have stats over 1. The foci work though as they are passive (worn)
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I'd also add, these are not at all stupid questions. They show you are thinking.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Hexsim New Member

Thanks a lot for the quick and informative response!

So the foci on those jewelry items will work to their FULL effectiveness then, correct? The entire 20% extra damage from spells, and the entire 15% mana reduction to spell costs, even on a level 1 player?

And not diminished based on the item's recommended level like the stats are?
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Correct. passive worn effects remain constant and are a declared percentile. on live servers I summon a bag of them and give them to level 1 caster until at least rough defiant jewelry pops on the PoK merchant. At those levels Harnessing of Spirit, Temperance and Spiritual Brawn make even the most naked character overpowered as far as AC and HP so I disregard the stats beyond the focus.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

This is only applicable to mage pets, and last I checked it only applied to focused pets no the base pets.

The pet only summoned jewelry doesn't have any focus, and pets ignore focus anyway even if you give them an item with focus.
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Player worn focus for players. Pretty sure I said I gave the jewelry to the character /nod

Pets don't cast, they proc anyway. Cast mods don't mod procs and pets can not activate gear abilities.

Hex also asked about "player" not pet.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

This has been the bible for pet info, I thought there had been a longer post but I can't find anything else.
    https://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4211

This is a good site to look up spell data. Enter the level when you search and if the data is scaled by level you will see the scaled result, else you will see the result at max level.
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells

As an example, has a max level limiter, no min level limiter, and doesn't look like the focus scales per level. I don't know why the summoned items aren't indexed though.
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=Gallenite's Chaos&effect=&class=&level=1&view=
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

11. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

Pets treat required levels as players do. They will equip them, but will not get stats if the req level is higher than the pet is. This was changed a few years ago (IIRC at the same time req gear became yellowed out but still allowed you to equip it).

I just tested it a few minutes ago to confirm I wasn't mistaken. Give a low level mage pet some end-game ToL (Centian's Plate) or LS (Alloy's Plate) and siphon it. It will be hit by <100 hp and die (level 5 air pet). Now give a full set of Spectral Plate (HoT gear and the highest non-rec/req pet plate) and repeat. Hit by ~2100hp and die.

Same applies to the weapons, they will equip any of them, and they will 'slash/pierce/whatever' with them, but will not gain stats or damage unless they met req level. Weapons up to HoT era have no rec levels, and lower pets will get stats from them, but will not proc until they met the proc requirement.

FWIW I have a few spellsets saved to summon pet gear for alts:
    LVL 01-60: Spectral Arms* / Visor of Vabtik / Spectral Plate / Zabellas Heirlooms
    LVL 61-74: Fireblade** + same as above
    LVL 75-85: Ethereal Arms / Visor of Gobeker / Wirns Plate / Ioulins Heirlooms
    LVL 86-89: Manaforged Arms + same as above
    LVL 90+ : Visor of Gobeker + pretty much whatever is end-game at the time
    LVL 100+ : Visor of Shoen

* 16+8(x2)=Better than pet base damage, but won't proc.
    ** Pop-era Pet or Mage Epic will probably be first to out damage the Spectral Weapons, so change up to something that can proc.

The above is level of PET, not player!

Out of curiosity, and since I had a couple mages logged in, did a quick test on the HoT era weapons with a lower pet. The change to elemental damage makes these weapons 16+8 damage, and probably the best pet twink weapons up to PoP era.

Trying to get a lower level pet to equip a chonky 2H has been hit or miss for the past decade. I'm looking at a LVL 5 air pet right now and it's dual wielding, so no-go on a 2 hander.

[edit: lots of edits]