Personas : First Impression

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Achillez, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

The preorder bonus was weapon ornaments. I bought LS on my alt account this morning and have the slots available.
  2. Risiko Augur

I was excited for the possibilities that the Alternate Persona system could offer the game, but... two implementation decisions for the system make it worse than just playing a regular alt.

1. Only being able to switch personas in a fast-camp or starting zone. This means all your personas will be logging in in a fast-camp or starting zone. No parking a persona at a zone where you need to level them at and logging in later ready to go. This is probably the largest downside of using personas in my opinion
    2. Each persona does not have their own inventory slots for their gear. Why would I choose to play a bunch of personas that have to share their bag space to store all their gear when I can play an actual alt character that has their own gear slots?
    The implementation decisions they made for this system make using alternate personas worse than using a regular character slot, and on top of that, they charge you for opening those alternate persona slots to use them in the first place.

Why in the world would anybody pay extra to have an alternate persona that can't logout/in where they want and has to share their bag space to store 20+ gear slots with every other persona on that character? You are literally paying to have less.

I can't imagine anyone saying this is a good implementation of the system. It just simply is not.

I'm sorry DPG, but you dropped the ball on this one. It still can be a great new feature, but not as long as you have to switch personas in a fast-camp or starting city zone and having to share bag space to store each persona's gear when not playing them.
    Clave, Dre. and Micker99 like this.
  3. Choonk Lorekeeper

Seriously dropped the ball, I don't get who this is supposed to be for.

Have to re level? why?
    To sell heroic boosts?

Have to re AA the character why not just carry over the AAs your main has already earned with hundreds of hour.
    To sell exp potions?

They share bag space?
    To sell bags?

Does the persona share lockouts with the main?
    Yup :(

Its like they were so close to making something really useful, finally a quick fix for when your raiding guild is short on healers on a given night, or that healer left the grind group and you cant find another. Something akin to how wow allows you to change a spec, I know this isnt a class but it is effectively the same being able to change to a tank / healer / dps for some classes. I really cant fathom the justification to spend development time on this unless of course the goal was to frustrate players into spending more in the cash shop. Stop being the fun police!

Just make another account and help your char level with your main, upon completion you now have 2 characters and are far more powerful together.
    Clave and Micker99 like this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, it occurred to me last night that there are a LOT of old augs I've destroyed or tributed, that should I roll a persona, could have benefitted from said augs. So, the moral is, don't be hasty in getting rid of old gear, unless it's single-class restricted.
  5. Cuzon Elder

You are describing an alt. A character you can park somewhere, log out, then log back into said character whenever you are ready. The way personas work is that you switch classes where you are standing. While I do not agree with having to be in a fast camp or starting city, I do agree with changing classes where you currently stand instead of having a bunch of pseudo alts sitting at different camps.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

I've always held on to most augs (the ones that took forever to camp mainly) in the hopes that one day they'd do what the Oakwynd rules finally allowed you to do...share old gear with alts by making it heirloom. I was actually thrilled about that part of Oakwynd, because I figured if it was successful, they'd put it on all servers.

Guess that dream is dead thanks to personas.
  7. Alnitak Augur

As a reminder - keep hoarding useless no-trade items for Tribute by Personas once unlocked. Per FAQ - Personas maintain individual Tribute pools.
    Now I know why I have bags full of T2 gear from those NoS missions.
  8. Janakin Augur

Would have been a good selling point if they made all the new gear from LS have a recommended level on them but not a required one. That way you could use the new all/all gear and augments on every persona but the gear would slowly increase in power as they leveled. Maybe also changed how visible gear was implemented so that instead of having to use a class emblem there was a class augment.
    Ndaara likes this.
  9. Micker99 Augur

It really was SOOO close to being an awesome update to the game. All they had to do, was allow switching in any or most zones. That would have added a lot of fun new class combos and fun to the game and it wouldn't allow you to kill anything you couldn't before. Just a nice QoL update to a very old game. As it stands, I doubt more than a small % of people will bother with personas. Which is crazy, because in Beta it was amazing, and it instantly went to who cares, in one change.
  10. Risiko Augur

You're so right. It was a blast in BETA, but that one change of where you can switch personas ruined the fun completely.

I don't know why they didn't just make it so that SOME zones didn't allow switching of personas, and keep that list of zones to like raid zones or something.

I can understand why some zones they wouldn't want to allow persona switching like Sleepers Tomb, VT, etc where the zones were designed in such a way to force intended raid progression, but I don't see why being able to switch personas in an ordinary zone where you go to grind experience is not allowed.

If it was me, I would just make it so that the you can't switch personas in a zone that has raid targets that can spawn there. Any other zone, I would allow the switching of personas as long as you are out of combat.
    Micker99 likes this.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I would rather prefer a timer and OOC requirement, like the merc swap timer. However, to modify what you said about zones with raid targets, instead disallow persona swaps in a DZ. There are plenty of zones where you can XP, that also have raid targets, particularly older content.
  12. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I would suggest updating your UI if you use a custom, if not, the default inventory window SHOULD have the tab, whether you purchased the expansion or not. I verified on my second active account, which I never purchased the pre-order for, and the tab is indeed there.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Holy crap, I did not know that, and what a stupid decision! It's all the same character, it should be all the same tribute pool!
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Did you do the ORIGINAL fix for the new UI (making a new custom UI folder)? I did, so I was still using a copy of the old inventory window and, like you, had no tab (still said Shrouds). Once I deleted that inventory file from my custom folder and logged back in, the persona tab as there.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Arra Sanguine New Member

Ok, so I see issues, though the idea is, imho a great one.
    1) Storage space! Finding bag space in order to properly switch between Personas is a nightmare! This is going to quickly become a factor that will cause peeps to NOT want to use this feature.
    2) Shared Tasks. Why oh why would you have the task window shared amongst all persona??? A level 1 can not do, and should not have in their task window a quest for a level 120,. .or any other level that it is not suitable for!
    3) Did I mention STORAGE???
    4) There is no way to "delete" a persona if you don't like it. This forces you to buy more slots!

Admittedly I have only played around with this for about 30 minutes so far,. but I already am finding glaring issues. Now if I could move my alts into the "Persona" category,. and the storage issue was solved (I think I saw someone suggest a "persona storage chest" of sorts), perhaps have the Persona Gear go into a "Keyring" type of access,.. then I would be more in love with this new "feature".
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Didn't knew that APs are shared on an account, that does make the feature quite interesting.
    Of course that does change the calculation. It is about $180 then without an discount and $153 at best.
    How does gear work for them ? Has each persona it's own inventory ?

It seems to be even server-wide on each account. If a player does create a persona on Bristlebane, will he/she be able to use that persona on Firiona Vie also ? Or does it only mean that the slot does get unlocked and that the AP cannot be shared with other characters on the same server and on different servers ?
  17. SteamFox Augur

Personas share an inventory so all your Shaman's gear ends up in your bags when you swap to your Mage and vice versa (x16?). And the server wide portion just means that slots are open/unlocked server wide, your BB persona cannot be used on FV.
    Iven likes this.
  18. kizant Augur

Sharing is the whole point of creating a persona and how are people running out of space for just 1 persona? I got 6 completely empty bags in my inventory and 16 empty spots in my bank. What in the world are you people hoarding? :eek:
    Fenthen and Sancus like this.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Tradeskill crap. TS depot doesn't take tools and containers, and when a new expansion hits, you need to keep a lot of base materials with you to make the new recipes (since you can't open the depot from a tradeskill container).
    kizant likes this.
  20. Marton Augur

I envy you.

I'm a minimalist IRL, but sadly it does not translate to EQ.

When someone in guild asks does anyone have [insert some weird item name], I'm that guy who always says yes.
    Annastasya, Tatanka and kizant like this.