Why is the raid out of combat regen timer so long?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Atomos, Feb 10, 2023.

1. topple good idea generator

As a tradeskill-depot-half-full guy, I predict that the developers will see this thread, recognize it is a net negative at the current 5 minute timer and it’s removal will be a surprise addition to the next patch as a Christmas gift from DPG to EQ’s loyal subscribers.

If this occurs, I have it on good authority that Ravanta will supply DPG with the best New York style pizza the west coast can muster.
    ForumBoss and Ravanta Suffer like this.
  2. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Sure, why not!
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

4. Kydat Hello.

And the most advanced mechanic is jousting.
  5. Penelo Lorekeeper

Personally I'd just reduce all out of combat timers to 30 seconds and be done with it. If people want to get around the raid timer they can just throne/gate/catch a TL to the guild hall and banner back anyways.

Or campfire back. Or camp in and out of the game.

Useless mechanic is useless. Any abuse people can use with a 30 second combat timer, they can already use by zoning twice during a fight, which probably takes 30 seconds?

"But what if people cheat by going out of combat to get mana back" They can already do this.
    "Well I don't like that, fix it so they can't!" People will find a way. If it isn't this then they'll have beastlords parked in the guild hall to paragon/focused paragon people and return for mana. People will find a way.

Best option is just design encounters that are tuned correctly where people don't have to abuse any mechanics to beat them and then get rid of the dumb time-wasting mechanics that no one enjoys.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The issue isn't how content is tuned but abelites that players are given to help improve things when out of combat such as tranquil blessings which is a fast reuse mass group buff designed to be used out of combat.
  7. Domniatric Augur

Nobody is saying you should be able to use out of combat abilities when in combat. We all get the intent of the mechanic. What we are saying is it shouldn't take FIVE MINUTES to obtain out of combat status. 30 seconds is plenty reasonable and not worth trying to exploit.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

30 seconds is a short time to wait during a raid if you get to toss a buff on the entire raid.
  9. Domniatric Augur

That's silly because no it's not. You really think it's worth 30 seconds of doing nothing to do a MGB heal?

I don't know about on live, but on Mischief most bosses die in a minute or two.

Also, how is this theoretical shaman dropping aggro and staying out of combat during that 30 seconds?

Not to mention you can simply RELOG now and drop combat. Which is probably on the order of 30 seconds.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

MGB heal? Why do you think that it would be limited to a heal when there are so many other valuable buffs that could be cast to help the raid? And a change like that would impact all servers not just the TLP ones.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Hey, now that we know there are up to 54 players invoved, let's make ALL of them sit with their thumbs up their butts for 5 minutes to <NOT> help keep everyone involved and at the keys for another go.
  12. Domniatric Augur

That's the example you used. What one do you think is worth 30 seconds of doing nothing for?

And, why is this any different than simply logging which is slightly longer than 30 sec? And, how are people dropping aggro and staying out of aggro without jumping through some serious hoops all of which are harder than simply typing /camp which you can do now.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I didn't use a MGB heal as my example, I used a generic MGB as there are more things to MGB besides a heal and there are some that are worth waiting 30 seconds to get out of combat to cast. There is more to raiding then the short raids that are present on the early TLP servers which includes Mischief and Thornblade.

The fact that you can camp/zone to get around the timer now is a bug and not the intended use of the system and I would expect it to get fixed eventually.
  14. Trevalon Augur

Glad its an official thread now since Waring has come to be the contrarian as usual.

The 5 minute timer is completely asinine. It does NOTHING but just artificially inflate raid times for no good reason, since even the reason you list can be circumvented in other ways.

Lower the OOC regen to 30 seconds.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, the raid timer allows for them to create abilities that are designed to be used out of combat with short reuse timers and not be abused by leaving combat with a short ooc timer to use them in a raid environment.

Yes in early content the raids are short enough that it doesn't really matter but that doesn't change the reasoning behind it. Also just because there is a bug that lets you get around it doesn't mean that they will change the design.
  16. Trevalon Augur

You don't know that at all and are purely speculating why. The OOC regen timer came in what GoD originally correct? Before any of these so called "buffs" that you are talking about were a thing. So clearly it wasnt "designed" that way as you keep saying.

And as far as a bug goes, no one has said its a bug. If it is its been a bug since logging out of the game was a thing what 20 years now?

Sorry, but your just making things up to fit your narrative and its thin at best.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are you really suggesting that being able to zone to circumvent a timer is not a bug?

They have added several abilities with short reuse timers that are only useable out of combat and one that was directly designed to be ablet to do something without the long reuse timer that the version that can be used in combat has.
  18. jeskola pheerie

wrong. It came in with TSS. I recall playing on Sleeper server when it was introduced and we got it early on the progression server. In fact I remember grouping with you in Plane of hate and us complaining about it to each other :)
  19. Jarnak New Member

imagine if being out of combat meant being out of combat, not in some twilight zone for 30s to 300s
  20. FranktheBank Augur

Waring, just take your L and move on. Your stance is meaningless, without merit and just really, really not well thought out.