How stable is today's raiding scene?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Agrippa, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Agrippa Augur

Good day! I've taken my own share of extended breaks over the years, but I had a very good friend retire from Norrath a number of months ago. I'm sure that in his frustration, some of his claims may have been exaggerated, but he had said that one of the main determining factors was that raiding had become very unstable. He had said that it wasn't uncommon to have multiple events crash, lock up entirely, or, otherwise, break during an evening. He is a very competitive person and he had said that there were many events where his class (a beastlord) was basically unplayable. I had been on a pretty long break, but I seem to recall a few forum posts here suggesting the same thing. Am I completely mistaken there? Has the raiding seen in EverQuest always been very stable. If not, have things improved very significantly in the last six months so that they are quite stable in today's game?
  2. Cicelee Augur

Everyone who raids is crazy. Therefore, raiding is very unstable.
  3. Windance Augur

If you friend quit during CoV/ToL ~ 12-24 months ago then yes there were some events and servers that were notoriously bad for server lag with events that were designed to require perfect emote performance or the entire raid could wipe.

It is not uncommon with raids during this expansion to have 1-3 people go LD. It is often the same people so I suspect it is there computer system/configuration/isp.
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Perhaps your friend just needs to know to not give their pet procs? :(
  5. uberkingkong Augur

Look at this,

Epic boss entrance.

More people participating in this meta than full EQ raids player wise.
    More mechanics than EQ raid mechanics
    More mobs than EQ raid mobs

EQ is struggling instance lag?
    This is why we need EQ3.

EQ just can't keep up with todays time.
    Its 1999 foundation.
    PS1 era.

WoW/EQ2 PS2 era, PS2 games are still really smooth.
    PS1 games though, not so much.

Just jump in EQ, see that lag. Yeah PS1 era foundation.

btw
    super complex meta event,
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl_the_Sunless
    nice and compact guide, wiki.

Allakhazam is just as old as EQ is.
    Not so nice compared to other games guides, wikis, information hubs.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Everyone's thresholds are different but quitting because of 'raid instability' sounds more like a cop-out than an actual reason.

Is raid stability of such major concern that you'd base your choice to play or not on it?
    Toukan likes this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I have never seen an event "break" or become "unstable" on live a single time. Laggy events which ends up making the event too easy, yes. Laggy events so dps numbers drop due to global cooldown issues so you can't click spells, yes. Other than that, no.
    Szilent likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh.
  9. Agrippa Augur

Thank you for the replies and reassurances here. He had left before the later tier of NoS raids became available, so I'm sure he had been doing CoV/ToL content. He did say that the issues were well known and that they had been happening for some time with no improvements. I'm happy to hear, though, that raiding is very stable from DBG's end, at least. It had sounded like the problems that he was having weren't due to anything on his end, as he mentioned the issues affecting the entire raid.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Raid lag issues have been being worked on, and they have gotten a lot better.
    Tuco likes this.
  11. Kaliko Augur

You're probably explaining raid lag which hurts everyones DPS but mainly Casters/Hybrids/Pet classes.It's very hit and miss but has gotten better.