So, what exactly is "corpse wipe"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dsh1001, Dec 1, 2023.

1. dsh1001 New Member

There is a recent announcement saying a "corpse wipe" is coming and one should plan accordingly. Perhaps when making such an announcement, the next sentence could be "This is what that means", followed by an explanation. Maybe, (here's a crazy thought) you could even allow people to ask questions about this rather than just closing the thread to replies and questions. So, what, exactly is "corpse wipe" and how would one prepare for such an event?
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It means if you have any corpses that have not been rezed to recover the XP before servers go down for the patch you will lose them during the patch. They have been doing this with level increasing expansions for a while now on both live and TLP servers.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

A "corpse wipe" means all your corpses will disappear. The reason for that is some people leave a bunch of corpses, then use ways to get back the xp. Then when the new expansion comes out, they rez all the corpses and gain a lot of experience very quickly.

So, if you have any corpses before the new expansion comes out, rez them before then.
    Roxas MM, Ndaara, Andarriel and 2 others like this.
  4. Bernel Augur

Maybe a corpse wipe means the corpses will be wiped with a soft and moisturizing cloth so that they stay fresh longer. Or maybe it means that GM's will run around with corpses and wipe them against any players they see. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
    Roxas MM, Ndaara, Iven and 2 others like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

It means you cannot "bank" xp in unrezzed corpses in preparation for the 1st day of the expansion. Be glad they do not also wipe unclaimed overseer quest rewards.
    Axxius, Hobs, Aanuvane and 3 others like this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

Next expansions feature.
  7. Herf Augur

IIRC didn't this have something to do with people 'banking' corpses before an expansion so they could rez them after the launch and rapidly level up? I never understood how that worked as corpses only had limited lifetimes.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

I am not one to normally side with Darkpaw... but how much clarity do you need for the term "corpse wipe"?
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

First rule of "Things That Benefit Players Club" is...you don't talk about "Things That Benefit Players Club".
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think the question was more primarily about the "why" as opposed to the "what".
  11. FranktheBank Augur

"what, exactly is "corpse wipe"

:thinking:
  12. Brickhaus Augur

Quest banking was long before the introduction of Overseers.

Anyone remember Lichen Creep task reward banking?
    Axxius and Wdor like this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Corpse wipe is better that Main Character wipe because of personas
    Tuco, Ravanta Suffer and Nennius like this.
  14. Lothar Journeyman

I think this is how it worked:

Corpse xp lasts a long time if you aren't logged in. If you are logged in, it only lasts 3 hours (iirc). So the idea was that within 3 hours you'd get yourself killed a bunch of times, then spend about 2.5 hours earning that xp back, while the corpses still had xp, then... log out and stay logged out until the next expansion went live. Then log in (with max xp for the previous level cap), then rez all of the corpse regaining all of the xp stored on them. So that can get you maybe half a level or so, I guess.
  15. Gillette Lorekeeper

You could actually bank multiple levels worth of experience if you really wanted to do it.

You could rez your corpses right before the corpse/XP timer expired and kill yourself again to essentially reset the corpse timer (at the cost of a 96% rez so it did have a diminishing return as the number of corpses banked increased.)

I know someone that was +4 levels within minutes of the servers going live. So "back in the day", it was definitely more than a half level head start to do the corpse/XP trick.
    Herf likes this.
  16. Lothar Journeyman

You do the rezes before the new expansion has gone live? I don't understand how this accomplishes anything. I'm missing something.
  17. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Corpse Wipe?
    You mean like with a Cloth?
    Borm FV and Tatanka like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

But more abrasive.
  19. Gillette Lorekeeper

Let's say you had a corpse that had 10 minutes left on it before the experience on it expired. You would kill yourself (creating a new corpse with a new timer) and rez the old corpse with the 10 minute timer ... essentially transferring the experience to a new corpse (at a slight cost due to the 96% rez). Which allowed you to continue to earn/bank experience well past the normal time a corpse would expire.

(Again this no longer works and is why a corpse wipe occurs on level cap increasing expansions.)
    Rijacki likes this.
  20. Lilfella Elder

nobody is asking 'how is the corpse wipe'