libcef.dll missing from launchpad

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by bitefiends, Nov 30, 2023.

1. bitefiends Elder

Hi

I think this is different to the other launchpad error I have a WIN 11 build 22621 64 bit computer I run three instances, all from different shortcuts all have been running fine until today when one of the three shortcuts I use to launch EQ had this pop up,

Launchpad.exe-Entry Point not found
    The procedure entry point Direct3dCreate9Ex could not be located in the dynamic link library C\Everquest\Launchpad.libs\libcef.dll

I have looked in there and the libcef.dll is actually in the folder , I have also downloaded one from dll.com and installed it both in EQ and in windows, copied it from my other directories and rebooted the computer, any thoughts on how best to fix it

Thank you in advance
  2. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Is that error message a direct copy/paste, or did you type it out by hand?
  3. Zixthis_Rathe New Member

Following, getting the same error message in a pop up after a delay running Lauchpad.exe . Game runs fine on laptop and other desktop, copied libcef.dll from another PC and the whole of the LauchPad.libs folder and still persists.

Windows 10 home, build 19045.3693
    Angeliana likes this.
  4. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Is your error exactly like the OP's? Does it contain the correct syntax? (i.e. is it C\Everquest\Launchpad.libs\libcef.dll or C:\Everquest\Launchpad.libs\libcef.dll)
  5. Zixthis_Rathe New Member

My error is showing the same, with proper syntax, my drive letter is just E.

Launchpad.exe - Entry Point not found
    The procedure entry point Direct3dCreate9Ex could not be located in the dynamic link library E:\Everquest\LaunchPad.libs\libcef.dll
  6. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Another user has stated they were able to clear it up by restarting their PC, then redownloading the launcher and putting it into their EQ Folder. Are you able to try that?
  7. bitefiends Elder

Hi
    Thank you for the responses
    I had to type the message out by hand but made sure it was correct
    Restarted PC
    Downloaded new installer
    Copied new installer to C:\Everquest double clicked on installer
    Same error message as before
    The following paths do not give this error
    "C:\everquest copy\LaunchPad.exe"
    "C:\everquest copy - Copy\LaunchPad.exe"
    "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\LaunchPad.exe"

Very puzzling
  8. Scila Augur

try this and see if it helps ...

Click "run" in the start menu and type cmd - this should bring up a command prompt - type in exactly regsvr32 d3d9.dll then hit enter. This should reregister. If that fails, try redownloading it from Microsoft. I had a similar problem on one computer early in beta and that cleared mine up.
  9. bitefiends Elder

Hi there

Thank you for the reply and advice
    Opened up CMD and ran as administrator typed in exactly regsvr32 d3d9.dll and hit enter and got the following message
    The module D3d9 was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterServer was not found
    Make sure that D3D9.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again

I then went to Microsoft web site searched for the file d3d9.dll and found directx_Jun2010_redist.exe ran it and rebooted computer went to start the C:\everquest launchpad and got the same message for the libcef error as above but the others locations for EQ are working fine
  10. Zixthis_Rathe New Member

After multiple restarts, downloading a new launchpad, copying the libcef.dll and lanchpad from another PC, trying to run the repair tool, downloading libcef.dll from the website, double Checking windows updates all resulting in the same error, i had to do a fresh install of EQ to get it to run.