Starting an enchanter, few questions.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Tadkins, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Tadkins Elder

Seems like an interesting class that I'd like to explore. Was just wondering about a couple of things before I jump in though.

1. Is a deity going to hurt me in the long run? Picking a Drakkin ench.
    2. As far as moloing goes, should I choose a tank merc and buff him/pull for him, or should I choose a healer merc and have it buff my animation/charms? I'm a F2P player using apprentice mercenaries for the record.
    3. Speaking of charming, is it considered as OP on Live as it is on P99?

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Spacemonkey555 Augur

1) Agnostic stops you from being kill on sight in most cities iirc, and where you are kos you can use illusions to beat it. I know agnostic was considered the right choice back in 2003 when I made my chanter. Religion matters much less in the expansions, level 65+.
    2) Tank merc will tank and keep his hp up with regen up until iirc level 60-70. FTP will weaken your merc some not sure how much.
    3) There's a 20% damage nerf for charm pets from classic to Luclin. There used to be a 50% nerf at oow+, not sure if that still applies.
    Tadkins likes this.
  3. Tadkins Elder

True that. I'm genuinely curious how Veeshan is going to affect me out there in the world. Such an interesting deity. Figure enchanters have enough faction manipulation tactics to bypass whatever hits I take from that though.

Thanks for the response. :)
  4. 6502 Lorekeeper

Deity essentially stops mattering for faction after like... Kunark. By TSS you're well into the era where factions are just a bar you grind for progression purposes.
  5. Domniatric Augur

Charm really falls off in later expansions.

In early expansions charm pets chew through multiple mobs before ever needing a heal. With a cleric complete healing your charm pet you might keep the same pet all night.

In later expansions charm pets gets wrecked and do mediocre damage.

I know that for instance on Mischeif (secrets of faydwer) when soloing, a charm pet will kill maybe 2 mobs if it is hasted and the enemy is slowed, while you nuke hard and then it is spent.

You can still make this work by intentionally controlling the fight and breaking charm when a mob is near death then nuking it down. But it is a completely different playstyle than just charming a beast and having it tear through mobs.

I think in later expansions it is even more drastic and enchanters get the most bang for the buck by reverse charming. Essentially you are swarming you charm pet with mobs till near death, breaking charm, then killing.

Enchanter is doable for molo but really not necessarily ideal since it is a support class and there is nobody to support.
  6. error Augur

In TBM charm pets (when you can actually find one) do similar damage to a mage water pet, but generate way more threat and will end up doing most of the tanking. I wouldn't say they're terrible at tanking, but you'll definitely want a healer merc unless you're in a location where swapping pets every other kill is viable.
  7. Camou the Persistent Augur

Considerably the use of Charm techniques is much more than just cast-spell-have-a-pet.

In order to effectively use charmed pets it is necessary to mind a few things.

- dont heal a charm pet. Let it break, mezz it, blurr it -> regens to full HP in a few seconds -> recharm.
    - dont heal a charm pet. Let it break, mezz it, charm fresh pet -> let new pet kill low HP former pet.
    - charm a mob which can heal. So, it heals himself and even you.
    - adapt with mercs to charm pet technique in use.
    - always have a suspended minion memoed.
    - always have likewise spells to orators unity and runes memoed and punts ready.
  8. fransisco Augur

charm is still great. People say it "falls off", but thats because it was kinda brokenly powerful in gates and earlier.
    Its still WAY better than the crappy chanter pet will ever be. Charm pets are a beast still and more than worth it.
    Heploc likes this.
  9. Gnomeland Augur

It's not bad but won't allow you to molo most modern rare monsters, which is where the difference in later expansions comes through. Charm is an absolute beast in earlier expansions allowing classes who charm to be able to molo most of the content. Later on, only actual pet classes and tank classes can hope to do that consistently.
  10. fransisco Augur

Who is talking about Molo? I use charm in pets in groups constantly. Charm pets are great.
    The only downfall is that if your chanter is part of a box crew, you cannot charm cause no one can manage 4-6 characters that well. But if your really playing the enchanter, your leaving alot of dps on the table by not doing it.
  11. kizant Augur

Charm pets, like all pets, have been broken the last few expansions. They barely take any damage against named in ToL, NoS, and LS. They used to die pretty easily back during TBL and especially CoV but now it's just silly. Not sure who thought it was a good idea.
  12. fransisco Augur

I don't tank with my charm pet. My friend plays his SK, so charm only tanks when he needs help.
    However I should point out Kizant that the entire history of talking about enchanters is nerfing them over and over again because they could do something poorly that a tank can do.
    Great a chanter can tank a single mob ok. But that makes all the insecure tanks upset who can tank groups of mobs. Better nerf it again. Thanks Kizant.

I'm sure your just as scrupulous about advocating about the fact that tanks don't need pullers, mezzing, and can match any dps class for damage. Silly us for wanting to do more than cast clarity on you.
  13. kizant Augur

Obviously tanks are way too strong and should be adjusted. I'd cut their DPS in half if I could and make it so they could only tank 3 or 4 mobs max. Not sure what your problem is. Pointing out that pets are too strong is hardly news to anyone and charm pets that are basically invincible is a little much.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

1. Diety will hurt you in the short run. It will not matter in the long run.
    2. I'd suggest you Box a FTP mage. Use a warrior on your subbed ENC and a cleric on your FTP Mage. Eventually the
    3. Charming is not OP. It's a high risk, medium reward ability.

The most efficient method for ENC solo is called reverse charming...
    Charm a pet
    Root a mob
    Let pet and mob fight until both are low HP
    break charm
    root pet
    Kill pet
    Kill mob

2 kills with no charmed pet penalty

If you want to go real crazy with it, you can root multiple mobs and send your pet to suicide into the multiple mobs, break charm and kill your pet. Ultra risk, high reward.

If you really plan to reverse charm, boxing a FTP DRU, WIZ or RNG gives you snare and greatly reduces your risk, but increases complexity.

There is an instant cast Invis to Animals ring you can use at lower levels that will instantly break your charm letting you easily control when you break your pet. The closer you can get it to 0 before breaking charm, the faster you can finish it off.
    fransisco likes this.