25th anniversary idea

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Nov 27, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

2 Words.
    Monster
    Missions

Everyone benefits from them. Its fair to everyone.

Ideas,
    Meta event Monster Mission - any level can join, do not need to be in a party, do not need to be in a raid, you just show up and join. Occurs, every 3 hours event triggers, you have 15 minutes to join, go talk to someone in PoK, tell them you want to join the defense

You zone into an instance with many many others, everyone who wants to do it.
    Instance is say Qeynos Hills.

You pick what monster aka character you want to play as.

Event begins in 15 minutes from when it opened.
    Your chat is filled with
    BARK BARK

tons, I mean tons of gnolls are charging qeynos.
    You cannot let them overrun your fortified positions.

You get the picture now you imagine the rest of it, and other meta events like this too, and the rewards.

Highpass Hold defense
    Greater Faydark defense
    hill giants going to Freeport
    Kithicor forest invasion
    Froglocks defending Grobb
    etc. pick a nice zone

An Oblivion portal opening from Plane of Hate and/or Plane of Sky to Freeport, get the docks and defend freeport.
    Gotta defend against the different waves of mobs on each island and Plane of Hate mobs coming via ship from SouthRo ship into Freeport docks, man the cannons!

Remember VoA, riding on a airship instance?
    Could have VoA mobs coming via air.

A PoK defense, cannot let the enemies breach and set the libraries in PoK on fire, all that history will be lost.

Patrol the stones and call out when mobs start showing

lets make go back to the old times for real for real

Could raise a skeletal army randomly in the monster mission too, the rare boss spawn is the skeletal army rising.

A bit of effort but you know, thats all it is meta events.
    Don't waste your time with timewaster quests.
    every 3 hours show up, the other times do other anniversary quests.

OMM 2.0
    Meta events, just say send me, you don't need to have group formed, you don't need to be in a raid, sure its more fun, but show up thats it. If you want to form thats on you. Point is, show up and participate, everyone wins.

Not boxer thing not a raider not a whatever thing.
    Everyone wins.
    Show up and participate that is what a meta event is.
    Pops Racer and Lilfella like this.
  2. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Monster missions are largely hated among the player base as people like to play their characters, instead of playing something else. Not to mention the annoyance of dealing with the hotkeys. There are ways around that (moving them to different pages of the bar, or heck you could even have a specific ini just for these monster missions) but at the end of the day, there's already a large amount of janky workarounds that many people just hate monster missions because they just want to play everquest by playing their own characters.

It also doesn't help that most of the monster missions are really boring once you do them once.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Shrouds are old school, it is all about personas now. Get with the times.
  4. Mossaa Augur

I will so not play it if its a monster mission. I will so hate the devs that make monster missions. I will so hate EQ if they make more monster missions.
    Toukan likes this.
  5. uberkingkong Augur

This is a EQ divide between raider class and returner class.

Raiders want to steamroll whatever they do. With end game full raid gear.

Shrouds, puts them in their place.

Meanwhile,
    returners they want to actually content. They can't do stuff like Stone Cold Summer, Feel So Fungi.

Thats why Monster Missions, is the answer.

Raiders want challenge? Well Monster Mission is a challenge you just don't have access to your end game overpowered full set of raid gear T3.

Developer point of view. A lot lot more creativity can happen in Monster Missions. You can actually tell the story, balance isn't an issue because you control everyone's stats/power.
    Monster Mission developer a lot more control. Developers prefer to work on Monster Missions than normal mission.

So of course the thread is going to get heat, because the people that come here are usually end game casuals end game raiders.

Also, monster missions promotes playing with others, another thing the game has lacked on.
  6. CdeezNotes Augur

Nobody likes shrouds or monster missions. Nobody.

A tower defense would be fine. Just stop with your fanaticism of shrouds. They were bad at their inception, they are bad now, and they will continue to be bad for the foreseeable future.
    Toukan likes this.
  7. Scila Augur

Once again another out of touch with reality post
  8. Oscig Elder

25th anniversary idea
    they make a TLP server and give it a personal server GM whose only duties are to maintain the integrity of the server
  9. Iven the Lunatic

The problem is not that the players want to play their own PCs. Monster missions and shrouds basically are fun but the mechanics are not. The PCs there are much to weak and the implementation of the hotkeys is very poor. Such a stupid idea that the player has to create the hotkeys and the layout. They should have their own control window with defined standard setups for each class, shroud and mission. Mercs should also be allowed, because many missions cannot be solved without a multiplayer group.

There is no ingame guide for shrouds and where to find all those monster missions. Why are there three or four shroud NPCs in PoK at all ? One would be enough. Everything should be on one location. McKenzie, shroud NPCs, etc. EQ has such a poor documentation and guidance, and 3rd party sites cannot compensate all of that. I would like to have more quality and QoL instead of quantity. EQ is a darn mess.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

wrong
    wrong

Lets take a look back in time.
    The year is 2006.
    Dains, which are shrouds. Nonstop LFGs Dain

Year 2009, they introduced OMM,
    Old Man McKenzie which are shrouds. Nonstop LFG OMM

xp, gear, returner heaven.

Augs for end game players.

Anyone can do, everyone wins.

Something like Stone Cold Summer,
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=12582
    returners are not 110.
    Nor can they handle that event.

Only end game players benefit.

Expansions 100% end game players benefit.

Anniversary is about getting people to come back, remember the history.
    What better way to tell the history EQ than via Monster Missions?
    Thats how they did Dains. Loremaster.
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The only reason people repeat some of the monster missions is because they want the rewards.
    from doing them dozens of times
  12. uberkingkong Augur

Exactly and anyone can get those rewards.

Compared to
    Something like Stone Cold Summer, Stop the Fungi,

Only end game serious players, end game raiders do that. A lot of the community they can't even do it.
    They don't come to the forums either they aint serious player. Theres a lot of those players too.

Those serious players don't go LFG either.

Hence why those LFGs back in the days, predominately not so serious content like dains and OMM. Anyone can do it content.

End game raider, end game serious player isn't going LFG.
    LFG is empty because theres no easy to get together content like Monster Missions back in the days. Part of the reason is not just reward, its easy setup easy do. Everything is about reward too, but like the artisan earring, is everyone doing that, the reward great. Everyone done it, nah because way complex. Great reward, but so complex.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

I did the same with a CotF mission that I hated to do. No shroud or monster mission involved.
  14. Mossaa Augur

I did the dain missions one time each when current and the old man I did not do it at all. Monster missions suck so much. I have the same toon for 20+ years because I like to play that toon, not some random monster or class
    Toukan likes this.
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I'll try one more time to explain it to you. It's not the monster mission people want to do, it's the reward.

You're advocating for monster missions, when you could be advocating for better quests.
    Scila, Yinla and Mossaa like this.
  16. Pops Racer Olde Faht

This is an important point.

EQ will not survive without getting "returners". They are the most viable market for growing the player base and keeping the lights on.

Content is needed to lure former (non max level, non raider) players back.
  17. uberkingkong Augur

Yep, which is why
    I'll explain one more time why they need to go monster mission.

Any level can do it.
    Its easy to balance because your not worrying about scaling and "is it challenging for raiders" "is it easy for non raiders"
    Monster mission, non raider doesn't have to worry about "gear checks", the most challenging for a non raider and returner, is the "gear check" "AA check"

So back to this,
    Stone Cold Summer: Feel So Fungi - Mission

This is not content luring in non max level, non raider.
    Opposite, you gotta be max level, well played into the game where you can defeat current era nameds and what not.

Which isn't gonna happen with people like in another post 115 180k HME. Getting 1 shot.

This where Monster Missions come in.
    You don't invest 2 years or so to get caught up, just so you can do these
    Stone Cold Summer: Feel So Fungi - Mission

Monster Mission, its already doable, you just join it and you don't need to about are you geared enough are you this enough, do you these heroic barracks AA and such.

Do it rewards, thats why it benefits returners, raiders, everyone.
    These Stone Cold Summer: Feel So Fungi - Mission
    excludes many many people.
    Does not attract returners especialy non max level, non raiders

Also, let me remind you.
    This is an anniversary event, not an expansion, so people shouldn't worry about AA checks and gear checks.
    Thats where Monster Missions they don't discriminate with those checks. Its fair to everyone.
  18. Lilfella Elder

New monster missions are always fun for a few weeks until they get boring... Pretty similar to every other piece of content.

The exceptions are monster missions that are needlessly long or tedious.

The biggest thing I hate about MMs is not having a spell bar on the casters.. it just makes the gameplay less fun?

Some nostalgia MM concepts:
    • PoJ Trials
    • Vxed/Tipt
    • MPG Trials (can do group and raid!)
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

Wrong.

I clearly remember those. People hated them. You're confusing doing them out of necessity to acquire a REALLY good aug vs enjoying them. Forcing people to do something they hate in order to get a BIS item =/= doing them for enjoyment. The dain missions were NOT fun. They were designed badly and forced people into repeating content because not everyone was awarded the necessary items to acquire the aug. If you had a clique of 6 each wanting the aug, you were forced to do those mind numbing missions 6x each. Awful design and should never be repeated.

Please, stop suggesting shroud missions. Literally nobody outside of yourself wants to partake in them.

The devs can easily design content that is dynamic and will provide quests/tasks for multiple levels. Example: https://special.eqresource.com/feastfitforabasher.php. You don't need monster missions to cater to this requirement. Stop suggesting them.
    Toukan and Ravanta Suffer like this.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

No, dains I remember easy peasy.
    3 people minimum.
    Do the wolf trick, all you do is CH the tank on the final boss fight. Easy.
    Can't remember the xp I think it was 12-20% per run.
    Which was extremely good.

Good xp route for hell levels.

The reward at the end I think it was few but really good. That kromf buckler or whatever shield.
    Even after you get it you still repeat. Its just like HA's.
    Except anyone do it, not just if your good enough to repeat then you can benefit from it.

Any level.
    Not like HA if your say 125, and the PUGs are 104 and 1 125 player.
    Mobs going to scale to 125 so the 104s are screwed.

It's not doable now, the 104s are taking up space in a group, where mercenary journyman is wayyyy better, and you actually do it rather than before those 104s they just werent helping and its difficult with 1 or 2 125s.

However Monster Mission, 125 104 plays smooth together.
    Thats why Dains were good. OMM was good.