Boxed Group for Missions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Demba, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Demba New Member

Thanks for the replies! I tried [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] a few months ago and found that I spent more time trying to set it up than I did playing, so quit lol. Currently I am boxing war shm brd as my core and throw in mage necro druid or ranger. My warrior has ToL raid armor and NoS tradeskill non-vis (I am on FV so I can usually pick up previous expansion raid gear fairly cheap). I posted this question after about the umpteenth time trying to complete the Spirit Fades mission, but finally beat it very late last night using war shm brd necro and 2 healer mercs. Will be trying mean streets tonight with that group but just for completion and not the achievements.
    Tatanka likes this.
  2. Alnitak Augur

Tuco likes this.
  3. daranged Lorekeeper

I 3 box war,shammy just group geared and my rogue is fully raided depending will use 1 healer merc just for little extra heals or just pop 2 healers so dont have to rely on healing with shammy .Yes some missions can be difficult thats fun bout it takes many few times learn your strat for them
  4. Tuco Augur

Thanks!

I feel like I tried something like that and had a tough time leading the thugs away. I remember them being immune to snare but maybe I'm misremembering or maybe they changed it. I only did that event right after release. I just remember whenever I tried to get them far away they started warping all over and killing me.
  5. Alnitak Augur

Thugs are immune to root, hence the snare-parking. And yes, those thugs "warp", however in my perception those warps are not actually random.
    It appears to me, that every time the swap happens the script recalculates the location of the mobs (it has to do it for Jak and perhaps coincidentally does it for thugs too), and those thugs appear to leap toward their original spawn location by a few hundred steps. For example, if you park a thug at the north end of the bridge, it may stand at the south end o that bridge after a couple of script "swaps"
    Hence - in my write up I mentioned "re-snaring" before the final fight.
    Tuco likes this.
  6. aozs Augur

Interesting, when I did this on my pal/enc/dru/mag/wiz/wiz team I managed to get all the thugs stuck on the bridge near the zone in. I spent a few minutes practicing druid kiting on the bridge since I thought I'd need to kite the whole time, but accidentally got too close and died. They never moved or warped in the 5-10 minutes I was messing around. I rezzed and managed to finish the mission before snare wore off, which basically trivialized the ach.
  7. Rylak Elder

If you drag the thugs down into the pit via the southern bridge, they get so fubared on where they are that they stay out of the mission for an extremely long time. And this is only using necro snare which lasts a fraction of the time compared to entrap.
  8. Demba New Member

Well, I was able to complete Under Siege easily using this strat:
    This was using War shm brd dru nec mage
    However, Mean Streets is giving me fits. I am following Alnitak's method and do just fine until the real Jak starts spawning his illusions. It has just been to difficult for me so far to keep my tank healed while I also run another toon around killing the illusions at the same time. Maybe I am just too old? A little frustrated tonight, will try again tomorrow.
  9. Rylak Elder

kill the illusions with the necro. save his burns until illusions and hit them. Cast Pyre of Va and FD. they die instantly or 1 tick max. then get up and move / leap to the next stop. This will ensure you keep limited time on the illusion kills and focus on tank healing.

I find having the real Jak in Spot#2 (South side - east posiiton) makes this the easiest for limited moves to focus on tank heals. Drop a CR or heal totem so you can ignore the fire aura for the main group @ Jak.

Kill illusions at #1,then #3, then 4 for the Jak @ 35% spawn. Keep necro near 4 and then reverse it #4, #3, #1 for the 22% hp spawn). Can ignore the 3rd wave as Jak is killabe at that point
    Swiss and Demba like this.
  10. Demba New Member

It wasn't graceful and it was close but I finally beat mean streets. I did use necro to kill illusions as Rylak suggested and it worked out great. Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
  11. Swiss Augur

I've done 3 box cut off the head, SK, bard, ranger usually takes 5-10min depending on some luck.
    Having gear/AAs helps of course but using the correct discs for the situation lets you tab over longer to kill illusions etc if your tank is using epic for lifetaps and has a couple healer mercs keeping you alive.
    Bard can AE slow melody for tigers so you don't have to think about them.
    That frees up ranger to go deal with illusions and you can just entrap thugs and self cure as needed while kiting them off and returning to DPS if you don't want to zone to clear agro on them or get them lost like others mentioned.

When boxing just picking classes that need less attention helps a lot.
    Healer mercs are really useful and you can usually make up that 100-150k dps the melee merc can do just by not needing to spend as much time on the tank/healer yourself.
    I do have a shaman I can bring in when the event requires a healer but lately the more dps you can stack the easier missions go. DOT classes for me require more attention but are really strong if the mobs have enough HP to use them.

Use socials with pauses just remember to right click them to cancel if you need to.
    /pause 5, /assist main
    /pause 35, /cast 1
    /pause 5, /disc Jolting Kicks Rk. III
    /pause 35, /cast 2
    /cast 3

/doability # ,use this for abilities(1-6) and combat page(7-10)
    Adjust pauses based on cast time(10 = 1 sec) and don't forget the global cooldown on spells. It is far from ideal but making a few of these depending on class can give you a much needed break to focus on survival, a dead mob is easier to survive so keep doing dmg.

Keeping all your assist, burns, spell casting, etc on the same keybind location helps as well. I like to use the numpad for all that and then have a couple mash bars for specific situations. It is much easier for me to go from hitting E to F to switch from dps spells to target of target heals than to switch pages etc.

Probably a lot of rambling information but hope it helps someone. I keep running out of stuff to do and leveling up more alts so I know the jump from group gear to raid gear helps a lot. But all of this is still possible with group gear it's just more difficult and requires a more solid setup ahead of time so you're not rushing while panicked to survive a pull. Go to old content to test out new keybinds etc or drop your healer merc/character and see if you can survive with it dead in current content so you find what buttons to press or when to hit all your remote healing spells/bandoliers.
  12. Petalonyx Augur

Am i the only one who doesn't split up to kill Mean Street Illusions when killing the real jak? It works just fine to sit thru it with his HP lock, and then sprint to his spot when he swaps. Far fewer things seem to go sideways this way.
  13. Jisoo New Member

As someone who also five boxes MAG NEC ENC WIZ BRD on one screen, alt tab, only group gear, I wait until I am 5 levels over the cap for that expansion. So I will get 125 then tackle NoS missions. The game is much more enjoyable for me when I am not dying at the bleeding edge fussing with the mechanics. Like going back and doing Overlord Mata Muram and completely ignoring the Gaze. It's like roleplaying a god. Not saying 5 levels will make it trivial but the idea is to out level it to make it more manageable.
  14. Swiss Augur

That's always an option too and works better in some cases. For me I would rather kill the 3 illusions real quick on one character than to mess with moving and getting stuck on a building or something. Also it's just faster lol.
  15. minimind The Village Idiot

• Raid Zerk, Group Shaman, Group Zerk
    • 2x Healer Merc & 1x Tank Merc
    I've only been able to do the "easy" missions in-era.
    • ToV Griklor
    • CoV Zlandicar
    • ToL When One Door Closes
    I also have a group-geared warrior on the group-geared zerk's account. Using that warrior makes things a LOT easier, allowing me to complete more missions. That group make up is:
    • Raid Zerk, Group Warrior, Group Shaman
    • 2x Healer Merc & 1x Rogue Merc
    Setup: One computer, two monitors. Desktop resolution @ 1440p, but EQ windows at 1080p. I just alt-Tab or click on the windows. No external programs at all.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Autofollow features? On I . S . B .?
  17. Zunnoab Augur

Assuming they aren't talking about the blatant cheating program not to be named, they might mean key broadcasting to auto-follow hotkeys.

Auto-follow works fine as long as you act like you're driving a bus and most importantly turn background FPS on each character up to 60+.
    Marton and Tuco like this.
  18. Forcallen Augur

I run raid necro and mostly raid geared sk. I've two boxed most missions in era outside of a few here and there. Some from TBM, TBL and 2 from CoV come to mind offhand. Some still could be done but it just wasnt worth taking 2 hrs to do them waiting on cool downs over and over.

Added a bard in ToL, which helped with anything requiring cure's and just amplified dps. The 2 pain CoV missions require a real healer, mercs just can't keep up with the required group healing + tank damage for the entire mission.
  19. keel Journeyman

yes.. bard, sham, war and zerk (this one is interchangeable with any dps really the other 3 are required)
    1 heal merc + 1 dps merc

alt-tab 4 instances of EQ in windowed-mode no 3rd party bs needed

in the past 5 years or so I would say the only mission that was a challenge at all with this setup was Aten Ha Ra in ToL due to the mechanics
  20. Alnitak Augur

AHR mission is one of the easiest with pets tanking:
    ToL missions - pet tanking