"-responded with the urgency and gravity-"

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sammi, Nov 24, 2023.

1. FranktheBank Augur

Last leak had over a million krono unconsumed.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because they don't have the ability to earn the amount of plat that things sell for after a dupe? It isn't possible to earn that amount of plat outside of a dupe at this time in the game.
    Oscig likes this.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

rn
    By June, it was not possible to earn the amount of plat to buy things without selling other things or buying a krono to sell for plat.

Now, it is not possible to earn the amount of plat to buy things without selling other things or buying a krono to sell for plat.

How is this locking anyone out of the market more than they were locked out in June?

The plat value of krono has increased exponentially, there is no question about that and no dispute. The market rate in plat for a krono has increased more steeply than it has on other TLP by this time.

However, just as with exploits in the aughts adding exponentially more plat into the economy when there wasn't an allowed method to buy an item with real money to sell for plat, anyone starting the game after the exploits can sell desired items they loot/forage/craft for the new current market rate to buy different items for their current higher prices. Even in the original release of the game, it was difficult to 'earn' enough plat from only money drops and normal selling to NPCs (without exploits) to generate enough plat to buy desirable items from other players. By the time Luclin was released (when I started playing), you were "locked out" of the market unless you got that lucky drop or forage or could make highly desired items for the time (possibly starting on that path after getting a lucky drop or forage) and could sell it to another player for plat which you could then spend for other items in the game.

Like an exploit, the reduction of plat sinks also inflates the economy since the amount of plat in the game continues to grow. Servers with free trade or heirloom have fewer plat/item sinks since the items (No Trade on other servers) are re-usable by other characters. Without the exploit, Oakwynd was likely to have a steeper trajectory on the market prices than a TLP without free trade. But even that doesn't "lock out" anyone from the market because, as in any other situation, they can sell something if they get a desirable loot/forage/crafted item at the current market price to then buy other things.

The presence of RMT has FAR more effect on the economy than any plat-based exploit in the game or even the effects of free trade / heirloom because it makes the economy not a closed system.With RMT you don't have to rely on getting an in-game item to sell to get other in-game items. You use your real currency to 'convert' into in-game currency. This inflates the prices in the market because the market is no longer reliant on the value of items bought and sold ONLY in the closed space of a server. RMT makes it much more difficult to be able to participate in the in-game market unless you also participate in the RMT market. Items are prices for a real money valuation, not for the plat-only valuation.

RMT in the aughts was not faciliated by the game company but allowed, nevertheless, to flourish. At this time, the game company facilitates the RMT with a 'set price' on krono purchased through them directly. Yes, I know there is a shadow market that trades in krono for real money, but even that has a ceiling of the price Daybreak offers krono. The real money to krono price is thus relatively set. Only the krono to plat conversion is different and yes, that is steeply affected by an exploit affecting the amount of plat on a server but that still doesn't mean anyone is "locked out" of the in-game market (in-game items for in-game currency). Yes, it does make it more difficult to purchase a krono for plat, but that's not the market or not the whole market.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It was still possible and now it is impossible. But regardless that doesn't justify trying to claim you can still buy things from the market if you are willing to spend real money buying krono.
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You're supposedly quoting me but implying I am saying exactly opposite of what I said since I never once justified being able to buy in the market if you are willing to spend real money. (Because I am personally rather against spending real money like that both in the aughts and now.)

Since you seem to need a tldr:

You can still buy items from other players if you are willing to sell items to other players you obtained in-game via loot/forage/craft.You don't need to spend real money buying a krono any more now than you did in June-October. In June-October, you could also buy items from other players if you were willing to sell items you obtained in-game via loot/forage/craft. Both pre-Nov and after the exploit, it is easier to buy items in game if you spend real money buying a krono but you are not "locked out" if you don't and only sell items obtained in-game without any real money involved.

You do not need to spend real money to be able to sell items you obtain in-game to other players. You may need to sell items to other players in order to be able to buy other items from players.
  6. Oscig Elder

This is not true in the least.
  7. Taladir Augur

No, it's not. I was able to farm plat to get Krono all the way up until this explosion. The 24/7 botters in Siren's Grotto did push up Krono prices more than I've ever seen, but not 10x-20x like we saw with the dupe. The people defending the dupe or implying there is no major problem or change with the economy are trolling or delusional.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

The dupe is a major problem and yes there is a change in the economy, that is not in dispute at all. However, it does not "lock" anyone out of the market since they can still sell items obtained in-game to other players at the current prices to obtain plat to buy other items from players at the current prices. Those prices are inflated, that is also not in dispute. The greatest effect is on the krono market which is also not in dispute, but that's not the market of in-game items.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The only reason I posted in this thread in the first place was a reply to someone suggesting that if players can't afford to purchase things in the market all they had to do was buy krono. The fact remains that with the amount of plat that got introduced into the market it will be very hard for some players to ever be able to enter it.