Alternate Persona Tip Window - Swapping Personas Requires Fast-Camp / Starting Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tuco, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Zunnoab Augur

That's a really good idea. It sidesteps the "but what about TLPs where moving around the game world really can still be a challenge" concern a few people brought up to support the restriction. Of course I'm sure that would still annoy some players on TLPs.
  2. Alnitak Augur

Please, enlighten me how an alt can make the life of my zerker easier, because he is benched in missions due to anti-pet-tanking mechanics.
    With Personas I can roll a ranger AP and make that toon useful again. How would an alt help me?
    Just a note - that account already has raid-geared mage, bard, ranger. Still no help for the zerker.
  3. strongbus Augur

and that is why I said bout 90% useless. There would be times when having a persona would be useful. Its all going depend on your play style. want only have a core group of say 6 char and don't want to have to switch out alts to get ach or keep those 6 up to date. for example I am thinking if it be worth it even with the restriction to level up a few persons on my main(bst) so that on raids if we are short on x class to get a ach I can switch and still get on my raid toon. But for my alts. It just not worth the hassle of doing it when I already have the alts and it be easy to switch to them.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

All the cloak and dagger, it smacks of Congress. Very shady behavior, sleight of hand, and it makes it appear they are simply trying to part us from our money in exchange for nothing of real value to us, the players. What it WILL do is prevent people from purchasing the expansion if they were on the fence, and some of us at least that already purchased, will petition for a refund if there isn't a change to swapping alternate personas.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

So the Personas are going to be worthless after all.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They already have the ability to share Achievements across an account. Making all No Drop items Heirloom solves solves the rare and fancy item issue. The only thing that would have needed to be addressed is sharing TS's across an account. The time that they have invested in building this Persona system from the ground up, could have instead been invested in just making it so that TS's are shared across the account, and you would have everything that you describe.

The Persona system with any of these restrictions is pretty much as useful as shrouds; with all of these restrictions it is worthless.
    ForumBoss, Appren, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sobmre Augur

I just don't get DBG, if they wanted a selling point to TLP people just add more bank and inventory space.
    they could have used that dev time to :

Increase the bazaar pricing limit.
    create a better way to sell in bazaar like a seller merc or something
    Make longer quest chains like artisans prize etc
    create another event server like Quarm
    create built in dps parser
    create built in gina
    redo the voice chat to something useful
    create an app game that links to your toon somehow to do skills or TS or something.
    create a cross server dungeon group matching system.

or like anything else countless people have suggested over the years.
    Bobbybick and Metanis like this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not worthless, but definitely worth less ;)
    Bobbybick, Metanis, Appren and 2 others like this.
  9. sieger Augur

I was never very interested in the personas feature, so it being rendered nigh-useless isn't a huge impact to me--but it does raise the question why such systems are being developed.

The arguments I have seen for it all center around a very niche mindset--people who have max farmed things like Artisan's Prize, various rare achievements, Heroic AAs etc, and "want a same account alt that keeps all that stuff." Which I suspect is a very small population, and probably limited to people in raid guilds that regularly ask raiders to play a different class character when raid comp demands it.

Even still, aside from soothing those people's OCD, the persona is still in almost every way less useful than an alternate account character--because you can play one of those at the same time as your main, which opens a significant number of options that personas will never have. On top of that as a matter of business--boxing is huge on live and a significant source of subscription revenue, introducing a system (however minor) that encourages people to not maintain second+ accounts seems questionable. Did anyone on the business side even get consulted on this? (It seems doubtful they ever are, frankly--a lot of these changes feel like dev team driven "curiosities" that have little relationship to common business sense or take into account player concerns.)
    Metanis and Skuz like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would love to know what prompted them to start developing such a pointless system. I've never seen anyone ask for something like this.

What I DID see people asking for were:
    1) A way to share no trade gear between alts. They've ALREADY done this...they just need to apply the heirloom rules from Oakwynd to the other servers.

2) A way to share achievements between toons on the same account/server. Again...this is already in game as well. Overseer achievements are shared that way...they just need to apply that code to all the other achievements.

The work for the 2 biggest benefits to personas was already done. There was no need to waste time developing a new system to do it. There was certainly no need to waste time on it at the expense of actual content for the expansion...which is what they did.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  11. Tuco Augur

Yeah and there's only a few groups of things they'd need to share. Pretty much just:
    • Slayer
    • Anything that gives heroic AAs
    • Some that unlocks item rewards (Ex: Challenger), with an option to generate additional item rewards (as long as they're lore)
    • flags/keys
    • Probably some others I'm missing
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I'm pretty sure the directive was to create something that can be monetized.

Expect a real money marketplace token to allow 'fast switching'
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Keys.
    Tuco likes this.
  14. Inictus Elder

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - don't give them any ideas!
    Zunnoab likes this.
  15. ForumBoss Augur

hunter probably makes sense to share too, since the bags are lore+heirloom.
    Metanis likes this.
  16. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Persona slots will already be added.

Armor/Weapon storage for Personas will be added next expansion.

Persona experience sharing added as a Perk.
    Knifen likes this.
  17. Zarkdon Augur

This is basically just a way to main change without having to redo old content. Just a lazy way to quiet people who are upset they are being told to reroll their monk they have had since 99.
  18. Tuco Augur

It case it helps, I would not recommend monks or wizards reroll until they try out LS.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

I strongly suspect this will not go live next week.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  20. Riou EQResource

Monks definitely should they are still terrible