Alternate Persona Tip Window - Swapping Personas Requires Fast-Camp / Starting Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tuco, Nov 24, 2023.

1. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yeah for the raiding audience. What about the casual/non-raiding audience that just wants to group?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Oscig Elder

Every item effectively has heirloom status.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Ok, and how does that solve gameplay issue that I outlined?
  4. Oscig Elder

...Lots of items are no drop?

TLPs are created for raiders with ADHD anyways, otherwise they'd have expansions last longer than it takes me to wake up in the morning.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Are you sure you understood what I typed?

You're in a group, let's say Unrest. You level up one Persona, but want to keep your other Personas caught up while you have a group with you. You can't swap without returning to a home city and running back. Healer leaves, and you have a Cleric persona that you can swap into but again you have to run back and return.

The hardcore crowd is always going to accept whatever is thrown at them. EQ players wear it as a badge of pride to waste their time. A solid Persona system creates a nice pool of low level players that can help maintain engagement throughout a TLPs timeline.
  6. Micker99 Augur

What a stupid waste of time. This could have been the coolest feature in EQ, in decades. I see very little use for this now, complete waste of programming time. Could have kept people busy as could be, for a long time. Why would they put it on Beta like that and tease everyone? What a ridiculous choice to change that.
    Trolgar, Cavall, code-zero and 4 others like this.
  7. WeCameWeConquered Elder

Going to sound like a broken record, but why even put any resources into this feature at all with such restrictions that make it 95% pointless? Yes, someone will still use it (some people also eat paste) but that does not negate such a colossal failure in design. Just toss this 'feature' into the collection of Darkpaw failures.

It cannot be repeated enough: never pre-order EQ expansions for an advertised "feature".
    code-zero, Micker99, Marton and 3 others like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Or put another way, always expect disappointment because the desire to "make cool s**t" has been surgically removed from Darkpaw one layoff or team restructuring at a time.

Management team see AP: "Nope, that's way too good for EQ, kill it, kill it now, if we give them hope for EQ it will be bad"
    Appren likes this.
  9. Marton Augur

Yeah, I fell for it.

I'm on the fence about asking for refund on Premium and getting just Standard LS.
    Skuz, Appren and Micker99 like this.
  10. Petalonyx Augur

The community has a lot of cool ideas. I'm not sure how we ended up with Alt Personas, especially with the resources and risks associated with Alt Personas.

Would have been easier(?), less risky, and certainly much more popular to make an entirely new EQ class. A new class would have put EQ in the news, too, causing a lot of sales and return players.

EQ has a lot of alt-oholics. I'm not sure if Alt Personas is feeding them or cutting them (by diminishing the usefulness of real alts). Should i throw my alt crew in the trash and just level Alt Personas from scratch instead? Banestrike and max Tradeskills are certainly time consuming and provide real benefits to player power that my old alt crews will never get.
  11. Alnitak Augur

I've preordered LS from the start on one of my accounts and was playing with AP's since Nov 9 release.
    And now after the confirmation I have preordered 6 more, 3 of which are Collector's version because they have 5 AP's included vs. 3 AP's in Standard version. I have preordered LS even for my f2p account, which I use as mules and just feed 1 Krono per year for auto-grants.
    So far - LS is a major success for DPG. They deserve a standing ovation for the job well done!

Time will tell, which side of this fence is the right side of History.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Why only 3 of the 6 as Collector's?
  13. Alnitak Augur

I do not see such "trashing" of alts. What I see - perhaps you'll make Alternate Persona for your paladin and roll out a chanter or ranger or shaman (or what else) and very quickly level it up to a fully boosted character with all the achievements and flags augs and currency to join your mages' crew and meaningfully contribute. Or opposite - roll your mages into rogues or zerkers and enjoy your paladin leading th melee crew. Such flexibility does not change the fact that you can deploy few teams one after another to chain-farm missions or what else. AP's compliment alts, not replace those.
  14. Marton Augur

How is LS a major success? Lol.

Minimal amount of content for people to do, AP ... I'm not getting there.

In my opinion nothing in LS warrants anything better then Standard.
    Skuz and Micker99 like this.
  15. Alnitak Augur

I am still negotiating with my wife, she actually wants to upgrade to Premium, while I am a scrooge and think Collector's is enough.
  16. Micker99 Augur

What are you talking about? How can something be successful, if it isn't even released yet? Standing ovation? I have to assume you are a programmer, working on LS lol. You are excited for APs, with the new restrictions? Why?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Alnitak Augur

I have bought a few Collector's edititons, which I have never done before. That is a major success even before the release.

You assume wrong.

Restrictions = no new disruptive abuses in the game I love to play. I am excited!

And with AP's I'll dust off my wonderful raid-geared berserker and roll out a ranger and will contribute on missions instead of waiting at the mission NPC waiting for the chest. Same with a few other semi-idle alts - they will start contributing via AP switch. And switching them in Guild Hall or PoK works fine for that purpose.
  18. Nightops Augur

This is a dumb example. If the player in this 'example' wants to be self centered to the point of flipping personas just to keep the personas at the same level range, then the rest of the group has their reasons (and likely other reasons too) they want to bail on the player. It doesn't matter if a flip is as fast as a camp and return or a zone, camp, and run back. Doing either to a group for personal intentions like this would likely (and should) result in the same thing... a broken group.
  19. Micker99 Augur

I don't understand what you are saying. It's a major success, because you bought the collectors editions lol? You could do what you said with an alt a lot faster in the mission. You can't switch to your ranger in the mission after, you would have to go some fast camp zone switch, then go all the way back there to the chest, instead of just logging in your alt. I don't think you understand what's going on. My brain hurts, trying to figure out what you are trying to say.
    code-zero and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  20. Micker99 Augur

He is saying that if you wanted to switch to a persona, because you needed a healer, your tank had to go etc., you couldn't just switch to another AP, you would have to go to a fast camp zone, switch to another AP, then make your way back to the group. If they kept it, so you can switch in any zone, you could just swap to whatever class fit the group best, without the ridiculous travel and time consuming steps. I'd rather have an alt I could just run there and be done with it. It's pretty worthless, if you can't swap in zones.