Boxed Group for Missions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Demba, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Demba New Member

Does anyone run a boxed group they are able to complete all missions with, without any third party program? If so, what is your group makeup? All on one computer? Thanks
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

I cannot. I run all on one computer and the only mission I can do is , One Door Closes. Zlandicar reborn was another mission I could blast through. I really hope they take pity on us regular players and give us at least one we can do without the raider tactics needed.
    minimind likes this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Speak to Tuco, he's got a system that's mastered.
  4. Tuco Augur

You may also want to specify whether they have raid gear, which makes a massive difference for difficult missions. Raid geared Shadowknights have frequently been able to outright solo entire expansions worth of missions. The last difficult mission was The Crusaders in CoV ( https://cov.eqresource.com/thecrusaders.php ) where having raid gear makes the AEs much easier to survive since the buffer is so much higher. In the last expansion's hardest Challenger achievement ( https://achievements.eqresource.com/achievements.php?id=3005112 ) it's common to offtank many adds for a while, which is made much easier with raid gear. I was unable to do this strategy so I had to get, well, flexible like Sgt. Hujid asked.

Of course, very few people try-hard in EQ without also raiding, so the pool of players is more limited. If you want to box these missions with a vanilla EQ, I recommend raiding and gearing up a plate tank, preferably a Shadow Knight. Certain missions and achievements will still be very challenging.

I've boxed all the recent missions but I embrace third party programs. You can read more here: https://eqresource.com/board/index.php?topic=223956.0
    Quatr and Riou like this.
  5. kookoo Augur

he was asking without any 3rd party software and tuco is one of the best at using a 3rd party software...

i run sham , 3 mages druid and chanter , one computer , one screen and i don't use any 3rd party software and i was able to do all NOS missions and ach.s ( mage got EM 31 earring tho ).
    Tuco likes this.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yeah, but IssssBoxer is fine.
  7. Tuco Augur

What was your strategy for Cut off the Head? Did you just offtank the thugs with your pet?
  8. kookoo Augur

i snared pull thugs away near center then coh'ed , then i killed both jak's at A and B then pulled and snared other thugs near A and been coh to clear agro, then jaks at C and D needed to be killed a to get the ach;s.

yeah i know is_boxer seem to be legal to use but he was asking without any 3rd party software .
    that's why i play casters because i don't use 3rd party software .

if i was using a 3rd party software i could play a real tank and stay most of the time on him without having to switch toons much , playing mages ( casters ) is much easier for me , i send pets and i know they will stick on the mobs , not having to place toons in melee range

i need to be carefull when fake jak's pop on my toons , specially if they get stunned a few , i cast chanter several runes before they pop to get more chances to survive,
    Marton and Tuco like this.
  9. Gnomeland Augur

Asking whether he has raiding equipment is kind of missing the question. If he had raiding equipment he wouldn't need to box the missions, he could just do it in a guild group or molo it.

I would assume he either plays on Test - which has no current content raiding guild - or that he just doesn't have the time for raids. That's pretty much the reason 99% of people feel the need to box missions. The requirement of no third party software implies either not wanting to deal with the complexity of setting it up, or not wanting to pay the subscription for IS box.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

without 3rd party so just using alt tab? most ive done is 3 char's with merc anymore i lose track on do the wrong character lol.
    kaedmon and Aanuvane like this.
  11. kookoo Augur

i use the number on the right of the keyboard to attatck / assist / dps / heal ,
    since my mouse is already at the bottom of my screen ( little eq icon ) i just need minimal mouse movement to do to switch toons ,

so i send pet on mob . switch to second toon and hit # 1 on the right of the KB ( it is my assist key ), 2 is my mage assist and alliance , # 3 is my dps, , 5 is my heal for my shm and druid.

from option / keys / hotbar we can set any keypress , alternate key , so i made mine using npad 1, npad 2 ect,

it is much faster for me now than the past , i can be as fast now playing 6 toons than the past when i was using 3 accounts .
  12. Tuco Augur

Cool, this is very similar to how I did it. I also used Call of the Hero to drop aggro, the tricky thing I did was have a mage that zoned into the instance to CotH, and then gate out. If I left him in, Jak illusions would spawn and eat him no matter where I put him!

If you ever record videos of you killing tough missions or do achievements I think people would enjoy watching them. So many effective boxed groups are similar to mine and use a beefy plate tank.
  13. Cadira Augur

Hmm, thought thugs were immune to snare?
  14. kookoo Augur

immune to root not snare.
    Cadira likes this.
  15. kookoo Augur

weird it never happened for me . well illusion pop here and there on my toons, i need to be quick on my other mage to send pet on the illusion pop and move away before the illusion kill me ( chanter runes help there ),

i have no clue oh how to record , ect , i am bad at that on a computer.
    Tuco likes this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Likely the first part, or perhaps not wanting to even come close to worrying about if it's allowed. Couldn't possibly be the second part, it's so cheap, way cheaper than anything else you spend money on in EQ.
  17. Tuco Augur

If you ever want to set it up to record, let me know! It's not that bad to set up https://obsproject.com/
  18. Petalonyx Augur

Mage-mage-dru-pal.

I can do them all. I don't use any programs, not even maps. Alt tab from one screen.

Group gear except CoV raid pet ears and some chase stuff on paladin. The paladin is typically on heals and only steps in to tank when needed.

My biggest problems are burst dps and mez, but those havent been very important since TBL. I'd add a 5th as enchanter to cover both if I was to add any.
    Tuco likes this.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Ive never used it because I thought that would get you banned. I am still not certain it will not if someone gets a bug up their who haa. Kind of want to just for the autofollow features. I try to ask people about it in game and they deny using it but yeah come on, you are not really fooling anyone.
  20. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

They made a post on the forums enabling/allowing it for Rizlona.