Alternate Persona Tip Window - Swapping Personas Requires Fast-Camp / Starting Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tuco, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That makes sense then as Personas would be the only reason to buy the expansion if you are a TLPer.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

As a general rule, yes, be more restrictive to begin with. However, this particular restriction is just stupid (if it even turns out to be an actual restriction, since we have a disparity between the help notes and what it actually does on beta). What was the actual advertising come-on they posted? "Swap between different classes quicker". This restriction is the opposite of that.

That's fine, but I can't spend money just on the feature. It's rolled into the expac, so if I want the expac, I don't have a choice. I'm trying to remember a recent "feature" released with an expac, which I actually use. I know for sure I've never even opened the UI window for the last two, can't remember what came before that.

Consider it however you like. I was fairly fired up about the expac, mainly because of the feature, since, as I've posted before, I'm always several expacs behind the latest. I always get the lastest expac, just to be able to get to max level, but now, I am seriously considering skipping this, and just free-rolling expacs for the time being. Oh, and as to the "never said they would do" part, I repeat... "Swap between different classes quicker".

I completely and heartily agree with this part ;)
    Appren, Kaenneth, Zunnoab and 4 others like this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

On a lark, I made a list (based off of EQResource's main expac pages):

NoS - TS depot
    ToL - Teleport keyring
    CoV - Dragon's Hoard
    ToV - Hero's Forge keyring
    TBL - faction window
    RoS - None I can see
    EoK - Familiar keyring
    TBM - Illusion keyring
    TDS - Mount keyring
    CotF - Merc gear, HAs, 2 new SB slots (edit: shared bank)
    RoF - Banestrike, collections, offline selling
    VoA - Improved hotbars, Parcels, guild halls, guild rank based permission system, guild trophies
    HoT - Player housing, additional inventory slots, bigger bags in-game

Note, in my original comment, I thought Dragon's Hoard was in ToL, but it was in CoV.

Since TDS's feature (which I do use, along with all the features from before that), I have only used TBL's faction window on two occasions. I was excited about the guild TS depot (which, despite the naysayers, WAS in the NoS beta, if not completely usable, and was supposed to be done at some point), but that never happened. Now this seemingly hamstrung feature. If they want to keep selling expacs to TLP'ers and people who aren't working on current content, they need to start making features people really want.

I had planned to get my six copies this weekend. Now, I'll probably wait til the day before the expac drops, and decide then. And, yes, I know that's only 9 days away :)
    Appren, Zunnoab, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

As it stands, there's little reason to roll a new persona vs a same-account alt. These rules gutted the feature.

Waste of effort.

Sorry, @Klanderso. I know you worked hard on this one.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I noted that fact in the post you quoted.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Inictus Elder

I'm hoping that they changed the code based on everyone's comments on the forums and just forgot to change the tip window's text. But I should know better. As it is, it seems rather pointless now. I'm just glad I saw this before actually buying the expansion.
  7. CdeezNotes Augur

Except you didn't. You cannot create a fellowship in Planes of Power. Your post inferred you can.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

Even if the tip window is the mistake and how it's working in Beta is, in fact, what they're gonna roll with (though I think the tip window is the accurate description...that feels more Daybreak-y), it does give everyone insight into what the original plan for personas was that Klanderso likely came up with. These are the EQ devs we're talking about here.
  9. Zunnoab Augur

Ah, I see this is a topic here too. This restriction must not be implemented. Ideally you'd stay in the same place when switching. Such a restriction as this would take it to another level of terribleness.

I'm going to take my response to the beta topic and sum it up here:
    1. The can of worms is already open. Don't try to shove it closed. This is a major feature addition to the game. Trying to make it not have any affect on the way people play the game defeats the purpose of implementing it to begin with.
    2. As stated, the initial announcement highlighted speed. Having each persona store its own location and on top of that requiring a fast camp zone not only totally obliterates the point of it being faster, it makes it slower than changing alts.
    3. Re: Burn "exploits:" if people are that coordinated, what's the big deal? Are people that coordinated likely going to have issues anyway? At most, they should have an out of combat timer restriction if that worried about it. Fast camp zones as a requirement must not happen.
    I think it's a bit late to try and prevent this from changing the way people play. If they didn't want it to have a large impact, they never should have announced it to begin with.
  10. Fideles Journeyman

I thought the whole reason behind AP's was to give those who only play on TLP's a reason to buy the new expansion. If the OP is still valid, I don't think this will be enough.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  11. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

as an only tlp player, i agree. If the tooltip stays, it's a not needed buy for me and my boxes.
    Appren likes this.
  12. Appren Gnomercy

True enough. Unless you are a player that for whatever reason is very keen on playing with one particular character name (which is a valid enough reason for those that do), then this doesn't seem to add much value to most TLP players. I certainly went from "OMG LET ME PRE ORDER" (which I didn't, thankfully) to probably not buying the expansion at all.
    Andarriel likes this.
  13. Randomized Augur

If you raid to focus on tradeskilling early in the game, then it's a huge benefit as keying up to and through PoP is the biggest bottleneck on TLPs for alts
  14. Tuco Augur

Persona swapping restricted to safe-zones / starter cities is confirmed.

[IMG]
    Svann2, Duckforceone and KushallaFV like this.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

RIP. Typical, EQ though two steps forward, only to stumble down some stairs.
  16. Sobmre Augur

HAHAH just when you thought something awesome was about to be put in game.......DBG strikes again with the NOPE hammer.....it wouldn't be dbg if they didn't make some some useless feature no one wanted or asked for......but hey, this time they actually got close to making something cool....
  17. Bernel Augur

I'm not totally surprised they'll have this limitation given how much of a game changer it would have been to allow switching in any zone. I think it would have been a good revenue generator to allow switching in any zone, but it would be a big change to how gameplay has been in EQ. Regardless, I question why implement it at all if it's fast-zone swap only. That will be a significant restriction which will greatly limit its appeal. I can't see how personas will now bring in enough revenue to justify their existence relative to their development and support costs. I think it would have been better to implement some other feature or add more content that would have wider appeal.
    Duckforceone and Micker99 like this.
  18. Oscig Elder

Still has the same appeal for TLP players, the feature obviously exists to get people who would otherwise never buy LS to buy it.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Eh, debatable. Travel time and the risk of traveling between fast camp zone and group camp to swap Personas just ruin it.

You can't even swap between Personas to try to maintain consistent levels between them. You can't swap to fill group roles, etc. It's just too limited for a TLP, where traveling is a major game mechanic.
    Appren and Micker99 like this.
  20. Oscig Elder

???
    The main selling point for TLP is keying.