So, that's it? A hotfix and no rollback?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xerzist, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Oscig Elder

Skuz likes this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Skuz likes this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

In what world do you think a plat dupe results in legitimate krono being purchased?
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Torga Journeyman

Let me dumb it down for you.

Panic Buying to capitalize on the market is a legitimate thing.

Generally Kronos will always be a secured investment, and platinum loses value over time. But in this case, it is reversed for a short period of time.

By looking at the last few plat dupes on other TLPs it was safe to say that this was going to be temporary situation where platinum is more valuable than krono. So hypothetically speaking, when you jump on board and sell 10 Kronos then for lets say 15 million, and soon after they fix the dupe, Krono prices will start to drop just like they did on Oakwynd. Now when you go and buy kronos with that 15 million, let's say 2 or 3 weeks after the fix you turn your original 10 krono investment into 25 Kronos or more.

You underestimate people who are not interested in purchasing from 3rd parties although I do agree far more Kronos are bought via 3rd party rather the store. But I would not be surprised if DBG made $10k off of legitimate krono purchases that day alone.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Nothing you said would make DPG money for Krono sales. Kronos being traded by players doesn’t equate to buying Kronos from the store.
  6. Covfefe New Member

Players who didn’t already have krono were definitely buying off the store so they could sell them for several million and be set.
    Moof likes this.
  7. Mattling Elder

For about a month prior to Luclin, I farmed up about 140 items in preparation for the launch of the bazaar. That first week I made about 400k plat, figured I'd be set for quite a while.

Now that 400k is worth a dog's fart and my month of grinding was for nothing. That alone is enough to push me to quit but when you throw in the legacy AA exp bug, I just don't see myself ever coming back.
    OldTimeEQ1 and Oscig like this.
  8. Micker99 Augur

So is the economy screwed up on any of the TLPs right now? I don't see anything out of the ordinary on FV so far. Maybe they banned some accounts that had most of the duped PP?
  9. Gana Augur

The only server where the issue caused more than a minor ripple is Oakwynd. The server is in Luclin, but has the economy of VoA as far as Krono and item pricing. This was devastating to the casual player. If your fix is "just buy some krono and sell them and you're all set", you are what is wrong with the game. As a player already paying for the service, I should not also have to buy out of game currency in a pay to win scenario.
    PotatoPowa, OldTimeEQ1 and Kennebec like this.
  10. Lejaun Augur

You mean like the entire history of the server? Where no one would ever play on it? Where FTE would be the end of EQ and destroy everything? Where the server would be DOA before it started, after a week of it starting, and so on?

Nah, I don't think I'll indulge you more than that.

P.S. The server continues to survive and do well.
  11. Lejaun Augur

Server is still here, and doing well. Sky held up after all.
  12. Slaps Journeyman

Doing well? whatever you say buttercup.

The latest ban wave hit yesterday after hours and many of those in that wave were not even duping but were capitalizing on the market that any normal person would.
    DBG completely screwed the pooch on this, they could have shutdown the server immediately and rolled back and saved the company revenue but instead they let it play out and lost hundreds if not thousands of subscriptions because of an exploit they themselves let run wild.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  13. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Yup, less than 500 traders in bazaar now (472) and it is weekday noon-ish in the US.

Mischief around the same time had MAX traders on most days.
    Slaps likes this.
  14. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Those were people's opinions.

The depot fiasco combined with the Legacy AA exp not working (both actual accepted critical issues) is a one-two punch which you can't pretend is trivial.

Slaps likes this.
  15. Lejaun Augur

I’m your buttercup? That’s sweet and I appreciate the affection, but I’m already taken. You’ll have to look elsewhere.

People got banned or suspended by trying to take advantage of a very well publicized dupe? How surprising. If someone stole merchandise in the real world and someone else knowingly purchased it from the thief, they tend to get punished as well if they get caught. If someone tries to launder money and you try to take part of the great exchange rate, you tend to get punished if you get caught.

But you know who didn’t get banned or suspended? People who didn’t take part in the dupe. People who didn’t get in on all the money floating around because it was obviously tainted.
  16. Oscig Elder

And yet all the money is still floating around and krono on oakwynd costs 5x that of yelinak
  17. Lejaun Augur

I don’t need to pretend it’s trivial. It’s a non-issue at this stage of the game. Luclin launched with what, 200% bonus xp for a week? It was pretty trivial to grab a handful of AAs. People were getting AAs while in a raid hunting for shards and Emp keys. It wasn’t hard. We just finished another bonus xp period of 50%. All this in an era where you can still beat the content whether you have 1 or 200 AAs. If you can’t beat the content without those AAs, there is a bigger issue going on than you not getting the legacy AA bonus.

Get in one of the dozen plus guilds that are easily taking down all content. Gear there will come easier, faster, and be better than just about anything in the bazaar. Most raiders would barely even know anything happened if they didn’t read all of the crying about it.

So yeah, overall this is pretty trivial and the server has been pretty good. Expecting a rollback and thinking it would make fewer people angry is nonsense. Even if a rollback was the best choice, it’s not what was done. You can either keep complaining about the falling sky, or realize that their are plenty of options available in game to succeed without cheating.
  18. Lejaun Augur

More popular server at the time, and server where it made the most impact due to being the newest server. If the dupe happened next year, it would affect the 25th more than Oakwynd and so on.
  19. Fluid Augur

Ancient history: I think it was Brad himself that offered 1 million pp to anyone who discovered a duping bug or something to that effect i.e. our programming is so good there won't be one.

Sure enough, a guild figured out how to dupe Rubicite Armor. I think this was back when there was only 4 or so servers. When caught, they got in trouble of course. That didn't stop them from asking for the 1 million pp reward! IIRC, Brad refused to pay it.

IDK, my information is ~85% of the people in guilds use cheat programs. I don't do RMT or buy Kronos. I don't use cheats. I do join guilds from time to time, but don't participate in the mischief.<sic>

Cheating has always and always will be around, not just in EQ. I don't like it but we have reached stasis. I know people that used to cheat in BBS door games like Baron Realms Elite in the 2400 BAUD modem days. People cheat in Chess, famous case of a GM moving a Bishop like a Knight.

Soon as the next expansion hits, everything that is, is was. It isn't a wipe, but it functions the same if you can hold your water.
  20. Slaps Journeyman

Hmm, I would wager that countless people would disagree with you on this little bit.
    It would also mean that the economy would have had a rebound, in which we have not yet seen.

Anyone who was playing the "Market" had every right to do so and should not have be punished, many of which had 0 idea that it was even going on which if you were online at the time of this would know this.
    The entire bazaar during that night were scrambling to figure out what was going on, which means people were changing prices so they were not inherently screwed out of items / platinum themselves.
    You have individuals who were smart because they saw something going on and decided to just jack up prices to something that people could never buy at this point in game to ensure they A) didnt lose the item or B) sold it so they were not left holding the bag.

People who knowingly used it to duplicate items in order to create nonexistent platinum are the people here that need to dealt with, which many of them have been let off with a slap on the wrist and were able to keep a ton of platinum that should never existed and items in the depot that they would still resell.

Based on your responses you really have no care for the server but instead just care about yourself and what you can do or did already.
    Prime example is you talking about the Legacy exp AA issue like its not a big deal, when in reality it is.
    Luclin is still live, many people have 5+ alts that need AA and even with the 200% extralife bonus you would have had to put in 100s of hours in during that bonus in order to even be close to getting capped AA or relatively close.

You pretty much just say "Go find a better guild or do this" and that is not an option for a ton of people.
    Reminds me of the old CS representative, I think her name was Holly where she says "Casuals shouldn't play the game or be able to complete raid content" or something to that extent.