On TLPs, duping is not a problem at all

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jayjayjay, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Gio1999 Augur

You keep telling yourself that.
    OldTimeEQ1 and FranktheBank like this.
  2. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

All the excess plat were and are being used to buy up Kronos, so this is not just one server or even one game issue anymore.

Good they ignored this for a whole week and then did a "fix" which also isn't working heh
  3. Jayjayjay Lorekeeper

Aye. this is the exact point. The real problem is that TLP is not a well-designed service for users seeking Nostalgia. I just wanted to point out that basic concept of TLPs should be changed, to meet users' demand. Yes, duping is really a big problem, i know that. but the real problem lies in its service concept. duping is just an event that dramatically revealed how wrong TLPs are.
  4. Zish Elder

1. TLPs are not "temporary servers"
    2. This dupe has not been limited to TLP servers
    Appren likes this.
  5. Randomized Augur

So I want to make sure I follow this correctly. The only TLP I've played on is Mischief and I joined back in June and that's it (so no experience with TLP's in earlier eras).

But when a TLP is made, botters pop up and farm all the gear.
    Players just buy/sell krono or farm plat and just buy the gear.

Players don't actually go out and farm the gear themselves, so plat is the only way a player can acquire gear. So when plat gets massively inflated, there's no other way for players to obtain items/gear/experience in game? And this is why it's such a huge issue?
  6. Muramx Augur

Buying gear because you're too lazy to farm it is a Mischief thing.
    Kennebec likes this.
  7. Randomized Augur

Okay so then TLP economies are fine then since people can just go out and earn their own items. Platinum inflation doesn't mean anything. So why the fuss?
  8. Muramx Augur

Maybe log into Oakwynd since you have never played a TLP except easy mode Mischief? Inflation means a lot.... You do realize there is more to the game then killing x mob and getting loot right? you know the Quest part in the name... the trade skill part of the game? Mischief players I swear.....
  9. Randomized Augur

Do you have to pay for quests? Can you only buy tradeskill items from the botters? Are you unable to play the game and earn things yourself? Or is it simply buy Krono and sell for plat to buy PL to max, buy more krono to sell for more plat to buy more items instead of going out and getting them yourself?

That's what I'm getting at. This is so devastating because no one is wanting to play the game. Spend all this $$$ to have someone else do everything for you. Riveting. A+ game experience right there. Why does it matter if something went from 100pp to 1,000,000pp over night lwhen you can go get it yourself?
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

OP's message has got to be one of the most disingenuous takes I have seen ever. The stupid argument of TLP servers being temporary is bad enough. That hasn't been true in the longest time. But they are not even aware that the dupe literally impacts every server.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Darkpaw's handing of this dupe exploit is simply inadequate.

Absoluetely nobody is going to enjoy a huge rollback, but sometimes they are necessary & this dupe was a bad one.
    Appren, Barton-Vox and Oscig like this.
  12. Oscig Elder

A roll-back can be offset by bonuses. The same can't be done about the exploiting. The choice is obvious.
  13. Randomized Augur

Not entirely. A rollback sets everyone back to a specfici point. Bonuses, everyone benefits from. Even those who benefitted from the duping, so they continue to stay ahead
  14. Knifen Augur

Way past time for rollbacks that ship has sailed, raid weekends bout to start again. Unless its limited to the server that caused the problems.
  15. Oscig Elder

It was on every server. It was just most obvious on the one where a sudden inflation would be immediately noticeable.
  16. Knifen Augur

Than if I were a betting man, I’d say rollbacks aren’t going to happen this late
  17. Oscig Elder

Probably. But I'm quite unhappy about it.
    Knifen likes this.
  18. Muramx Augur

Lol... coming from a guy that plays on Mischief.... literally that's all 99% of the players do is buy Krono to buy gear so they can be BiS 2 weeks into an expansion unlock. Maybe play on a real server that you actually have to do something, and you might understand. But yeah... 5pp for a spiderling silk to 1k within 8 hours... yep that's exactly how all economies jump.

I am beginning to think the people that are posting how this was some great thing by crippling part of the game whether you want to acknowledge it or not are part of why everything is messed up.
  19. Lawyer Augur

There is no upside to fixing this with a rollback, and only downside, for the administrators.
    • Inflation benefits krono-holders, because it is an inflation-hedge. Daybreak wants to reward krono holders. You don't penalize their choice to spend real world $ on your bits; you reward it.
    • Rolling back would require krono to be rolled back, and that would have potential real-world implications since krono = $.
    • For early TLPs, inflated economies encourage more krono buying, as farming plat via vendor junk becomes a nonviable solution. Only items -- raw assets -- retain value.
    Oh, but folks think "people will quit! It's worse if they don't roll back!" Do you seriously think the people that keep coming back to a game where every other person is cheating have enough dignity to walk away? It's called Evercrack for a reason.

Soooo glad I sat this cycle out.
  20. Lawyer Augur

I will add one thing; probably doesn't belong in this thread at all.

It's absolutely trivial to put in code that would have caught this inflation to the economy, and reported red flags, EARLY ON, so that this could be investigated, server locked, and issue solved before it spread. In fact, I think if you have employees working for you that don't know how they would have caught this in an automated fashion, you seriously need to rethink your hiring practices.

This exposes an unconscionable level of lack of monitoring for a game. There are probably volunteer MUDs in the 1990s that had better monitoring for exploits than this, and this is a 24 year old game with countless developer hours invested. Seriously, what the ....