Crafting should be removed from EQ.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

With a reward for doing so, like some AA for all the AA you have to spend on tradeskills vs adventuring options and tradeskill recipes of the type for something that can be placeable.
  2. Micker99 Augur

I agree. Trade skills used to be interesting and fun when EQ started. They are just annoying and don't really add much to the game. They were designed to be able to craft something and sell it to make money back in the day, to give a real role playing feel to the game. Now it's just an annoying thing you have to do to get armor made etc.. I personally wouldn't miss it, if it was taken out ans I have a toon with almost max skill in all the tradeskills.
  3. shadowogreFV New Member

crafting isn't bad they should just keep adding things like the depot to make it less time consuming
    Skuz likes this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Crafting should give actual xp.

GW2 you can get to max level just via crafting.
    Craft is pretty good way to level up fast.
    Faster way is using up the many stacks of x250 tomes of knowledge

Boom max level.
    EQ still so far behind. Especially Live. No one wants to solo grind many months just to get to max.
    Back in 2005 2006 leveling was ok. In 2023, no one wants to spend all their time just leveling, catching up. Year of gameplay just catching up levelwise. Pretty sad. No LFGs. Live life.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No way, you said something that makes sense.
    Windance and CatsPaws like this.
  6. Zarkdon Augur

I love complaining about crafting. If they took it out of EQ I would have to find something else to whine about.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

And Breaking News!!!

Crafting isn't going away!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topics.
    Yinla, Scila and Skuz like this.
  8. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I thought you kept your jokes of the day to a single thread? Nobody trust this guy. Tradeskills are gone just like Old Freeport.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

IF EQ were more of a Sandbox MMO I would agree.

EQ2 had "Crafting XP" which I thought was a good system.
  10. birdsong_pawn Augur

Some people don't know this, but it's easy to get 1 million plat by doing trade skills.

Here's the trick: Start with 50 million!
    CrazyLarth, Iven, KushallaFV and 2 others like this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I would like to see a trophy upgrade its been a longtime.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  12. Mithra Augur

Considering what is going on currently, removing crafting might actually be on the table.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Please no EQ2 tradeskill system, that is just aweful and time consuming.
  14. Scila Augur

I had a coworker try EQ one time ... emphasis on one time. His constant complaint was he had to go out and actually kill to get xp (my bubble above my head thought oh you gonna muss up your hair). His thought was like ukk ... ts should give xp ... repair gear like the game he was playing and lvl. My bubble above my head thought where's the challenge in that and always bit my tongue at work to not end up in HR to tell him to actually take a chance.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

On the other side, 1 mio plat is not much worth anymore. On AB only EUR 3.40 = 5 mio pp per Krono.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Don't cast pearls before swine.
    Nennius and Scila like this.
  17. Randomized Augur

1mil plat is still plenty. Krono is just a shifting amount.
    1 mil plat on Oakwynd for example...

Whereas Krono on FV go for anywhere between 8-10m. Bristlebane it's roughly 5-5.5m

Many things are still bought without Krono meaning 1m plat is still a hefty amount
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

EQ2 giving crafting XP for crafting leveling I thought was a great idea and actually prefer over the fickle RNG governing skillups. The EQ2 crafting is also more interactive which is good and bad. It's good because it does make it more of a 'game' than just put items in a UI and click Combine and hope you can make it at least once (which is a real PITA when the recipe is 10 items and or some of the different components have the same icon with salvage not consuming all of them). There are also flaws with the EQ2 system, especially in it's early years. But it does allow for a more robust game system that can have quests and other such linked just to crafting without any reliance on adventuring. (and it is still possible to have a low adventure level with a high level of crafting and not have an adventurer get the basics for that crafter).

BUT, EQ2 is a completely different game. It's crafting system is not for EQ. The only thing I would like from a comparison with EQ2 is how they have kept up with providing things for crafters to do and how they continue to support the player housing with new items every year, even if some are only re-colours. EQ gets a less than a dozen new housing items in a year (not counting weapon slot items) wheras EQ2 gets more than a dozen new housing items each quarter between the events and other such. EQ2 also continues to get craftable housing items while the last of the crafting recipes for house items in EQ were a decade ago (other than weapon slot items). Same with appearance items. EQ2 still adds crafting recipes for appearance items each year, usually with a holiday event, but the last craftable ornaments added for EQ were several years ago. Craftable fluff can fill out the recipes added without needing to balance the stats.
  19. birdsong_pawn Augur

It was a joke, and I had to pick some numbers. Let's not over-analyze it. :p

In unrelated news, the Captcha thing counts a bicycle street sign as a bicycle. But that's a different thread.
    Iven likes this.
  20. Iven the Lunatic

No wonder that you ruined your business when you think that EUR 3.40 is plenty. How long does a worker have to work for that sum in RL (USA, europe) ? ~15-20 min. Maybe you are one of those players that does farm mobs for cash crops, dozens of hours for 1 mio pp. Then it can feel like being plenty but it would be an illusion.