Returning player with Enchanter question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cyron, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Cyron New Member

Hello, world(s)!

Have been out of the game (literally) since 2002. Back when I was live I loved the crowd control aspect of the Enchanter - it was my first and favorite class. I understand many changes have been made over the years to the class, and have the obvious question: Is it still worth it?

I excelled at keeping mobs mezzed back then (this was when SoL had just come out...THAT long ago) and loved the challenge of raiding and keeping mobs down, but have read that post PoP the mezzes just stop being effective. And while I loved getting my factions up to where I could walk into Cabilis and Neriak in my normal form and not be killed, I'm left wondering if my good memories are just that anymore.

Feedback is appreciated. Keep in mind when replying that I do not multi-box, so that's a thing.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

ENC is still played the same at the group level with group tanks. Group geared tanks can still benefit from proper pulls and CC. Most content can be managed by ENC, although the risk vs reward to charming is still just not great. Otherwise, I can split pull and CC most group content.

Raiding however is different. Almost nothing is mezable in the new expansion raids. Even when it is, the easier strat is often to just offtank things and DPS them. We might make a difference on 1 or maybe 2 raids per expansion, but often we are replaceable in some way. Raid tanks in group content often just overpull and Disc tanking everything. If DPS is low, they will have us CC overpulls to reduce the pulling needed overall, but as a raiding ENC, I often feel like an aDPS Robin to my Magician Batman rather than an enchanter.
  3. Annastasya Augur

i don't play a high level enchanter, but as far as raiding goes, it is still one of those "absolutely necessary to have one or two around" classes. Some events have mechanics that simply can't be done by bards or other "stand in CC" classes. The designers have certainly left enchanters to do a lot of ADPS (that is enhancing the damage of other classes, generally casters) in raid events and for a while there, they were even doing very nice imitations of wizards themselves.

i'd say their value is proportionately inverse to the skill of the group/raid force. An elite team probably doesn't need them very much for specific roles, but an average or worse team benefits greatly from a well played enchanter.