Crafting should be removed from EQ.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Strawberry Augur

Crafting has been in EQ for a long time. It had ample chance to evolve in something more meaningful than farming material and clicking combine hundreds of times like a zombie.

The experience is not memorable, it is a static mundane task, it offers no interaction, success is random, a meaningless roll of the dice.

If tradeskills and crafting were removed from the game tomorrow, the reality is that 90% of players would utter a sigh of relief, it would not be perceived as a loss.

Crafting in games does not have to be problematic. Cooking simulators can offer very fun gameplay, farming simulators can be a relaxing and fun experience. But EQ offers neither of those. Crafting had 2 decades to prove itself. It failed.
    KushallaFV likes this.
  2. Mossaa Augur

You do not need to craft
    Shanarias, Ozon, Krazzi and 12 others like this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Give me an EQ farming simulator. There's plenty of land fertile land out there in valleys of the Butcherblock Mountains.

Gems tied to Jewelry skill.

Overcooked style Baking, Brewery, Alchemy skill ups.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

:rolleyes:

IF you don't like it don't do it. But leave it alone for those who do.
    aariell_xev, Zunnoab, Flatchy and 4 others like this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Hey, another troll post. Wicked.
    Conq, Celephane, Brildon and 10 others like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your post has critically failed, you lost mana & your familiar has unsummoned itself out of sheer embarrasment.

Crafting in EQ isn't all that bad at all, for a game as old as it is.
    Tradeskill Component Depot was a recent good change that shows even after 20 years things can be done to improve it.

Not every player is going to be interested in crafting to begin with.

When you had to manually add every single component for every single combine it was monstrous, I refused to give myself carpal tunnel syndrome with that old system.
    I enjoy crafting since the changes made to the interface, and while my Artisan's Prize is yet incomplete I was making good progress before my hiatus from the game.
    Rijacki, Owch and Andarriel like this.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I feel where your coming from, I hate crafting too. But the issue isn't the crafting, the issue is crafted items crushing BiS raid gear. I get this frustration. I hate crafting and don't want to be forced to do it to stay competative.

But removing it, isn't a solution.
    Skuz and Tarvas like this.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

LOL sigh of relief you take down my traders and ask all the people that buy my ts stuff containers augs everything i make myself. You think it failed that so freaking funny!
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Yinla and Skuz like this.
  10. Strawberry Augur

You are successfully selling tradeskill items, because no one else wants to touch crafting with a 10 foot pole. People give you money, to avoid having to craft things themselves.

Crafting and player vendors being so intertwined in EQ, is a direct result of the dislike for crafting.

Tradeskillers have always been associated with bazaar vendors, because no one would craft for fun, because it's never been fun.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is your opinion, many including myself enjoy TS.
    aariell_xev, Skuz, Brildon and 5 others like this.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

LOL you act like crafting is rough. Goodthing you werent crafting 20 yrs ago i was.
  13. Lubianx Augur

I know a couple people that don't raid, and, once they get to max level (not max AA btw), all they do are tradeskills. You are requesting that the one thing that they enjoy in EQ is taken away from them?
    Skuz, Yinla, Windance and 2 others like this.
  14. Febb Augur

I can see complaining about particular areas in tradeskilling but to suggest it be removed completely? You need to back away from the keyboard. I like to tradeskill and I know many more people who like it as well. So no, tradeskills isn't going anywhere.
    Andarriel, Skuz, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  15. Brickhaus Augur

I'm pretty sure Strawberry just wants in game calculator development at this point.
    Xyza, Tarvas and Nennius like this.
  16. Randomized Augur

....please tell me you understand where you went wrong and contradicted yourself with this right?

Part of those "tradeskill items" involve the separate ingredients to make the final product right? Not just the finalized item.

It's amazing how many people are up in buyer mode looking for TS items. And then how many people are actively selling TS items on the bazaar.

While I loathe EQ tradeskilling, I think it's more popular than you believe it to be.
    Andarriel, Skuz and Rijacki like this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Nothing about crafting is rough, it's a giant time sink. That's why people avoid it.

That's why you sell TS stuff on your vendor. Not because other people can't do it, but because they don't want to do it. Because crafting in EQ is boring and awful.
  18. Owch Crotchety SOB

How about you just remove yourself from EQ since all you do is complain about it.
    Xyza, Conq, Skuz and 5 others like this.
  19. error Augur

As dated as the implementation of its crafting is, EQ at least makes a lot better usage of crafting than most MMOs manage. Worthwhile consumables, clickies, augs, group/raid armor, pet gear, etc... The crafting related quests are typically worth doing, too. System could definitely use improvements, but there are way more broken things in EQ to complain about.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

I think everyone who had their skills to 300 before they implemented the Combine all button should get they Artisans prize at full power as soon as they got it.

Oh and I dont like Nascar, it has been going on for years and years and has failed they still just turn left...
    Shaken, aariell_xev, Skuz and 2 others like this.